Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats a good salary for canada?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Can I ask what area you are working in?

Similarly, anyone else sharing their experiences, where are you working?

I.T. Software Dev.
    retalivity wrote: »
    I.T. in Financial Services.

$$$ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I.T. Software Dev.

$$$ ;)

Financial services hard to get into?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

zweton wrote: »
    Financial services hard to get into?

I don't know but typically they pay well and offer good benefits. I notice that a lot of people who leave my place go on to work in financial services, banks, so I guess they offer better wages and / or benefits. Also I think you can get more favourable mortgage terms from the bank you work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I am and seem to be in the small minority. I was hopeful that I could eventually find something in my line of work, even if I have to take an initial step or two backwards, but after spending a few weeks/months researching and job hunting over the net I'm less optimistic - its probably like everything though, you won't know until you get out there and start meeting people etc.

I'll be a Chartered Accountant when I go. Have already looked into how the Irish qualification is recognised etc and all out there. What about yourself?

I met an Irish guy over here (in Calgary) who's here 8 years and is in accounting. He pops into the bar I work in occasionally. From chatting with him they're seems to be plenty of work in that area. I don't know when I'll see him next but I'll see what I can find out.

Good username by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I don't know but typically they pay well and offer good benefits. I notice that a lot of people who leave my place go on to work in financial services, banks, so I guess they offer better wages and / or benefits. Also I think you can get more favourable mortgage terms from the bank you work for.

I was offered a dev job with a mid-size company on an ok salary with 10 days holiday. 4 days later I was offered my current job for substantially more salary & 15 days, with much better benefits. Great job, and its pretty safe.

If you can get in with the "Big 5", you'll be doing well...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I am and seem to be in the small minority. I was hopeful that I could eventually find something in my line of work, even if I have to take an initial step or two backwards, but after spending a few weeks/months researching and job hunting over the net I'm less optimistic - its probably like everything though, you won't know until you get out there and start meeting people etc.

I'll be a Chartered Accountant when I go. Have already looked into how the Irish qualification is recognised etc and all out there. What about yourself?

I'm in IT, been working in the field now about 8 years. Might head over there in a few years. Currently in Sydney the past 3 years, money much better here it seams than there though. No idea what the wages are like in Canada for IT. Even 60k would be very poor for someone coming from OZ. I guess it must be much much cheaper to live there than here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

retalivity wrote: »
    I.T. in Financial Services.

Same here but much more on the infrastructure side of things then development. Is there much contracing in that field? I suppose most of that work are in the big centers like Toronto but I see you are in London, Ontario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I met an Irish guy over here (in Calgary) who's here 8 years and is in accounting. He pops into the bar I work in occasionally. From chatting with him they're seems to be plenty of work in that area. I don't know when I'll see him next but I'll see what I can find out.

Good username by the way.

Ha. Thanks for that!

Advertisement