Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby got gastroenteritis in first week in creche, will miss a week, should we pay?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

The title says it all, I've missed two days of work looking after her as she passed it on to her mother who will have to take a few days next as our little one is still getting sick and battling diarrhoea

She will miss at least one week, emotional considerations aside would it be acceptable to not pay for this week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The creche will have a policy on whether to pay for holidays and other time out. You may not have a choice.

They still pay their staff whether your child is there or not, and they don't take in another to replace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You'll have to play it by their rules, surely this was made clear before the child started??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

It breaks my heart to have to pay when my lad does not attend, but the staff are still there and being paid by the creche to look after your little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I guess the main reason I am loath to pay is that in just one week in the place they give her gastroenteritis! It's been a horrendous weekend and I can't help blaming the creche

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can't be sure the creche "gave it" to her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

kids pick up everything the first few months in creche ...but usually you have to pay no matter what they have or where they caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

I cannot believe that you are serious. If you are not prepared to accept that your child is liable to pick up bus, colds etc when placed in an area with other human beings then really you should keep the child at home in a bubble. The creche is a business and can't be dependant on parents picking and choosing when they want to pay. How can you be so certain that the bug was picked up in the creche in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Kids pick up bugs all the time, especially this time of the year. There was 11 kids out of 25 out sick in my daughters junior infants class last week.
    If the creche is open and your child goes there, you will be paying them to keep her space, any holidays you take you will have to pay the creche. Are your getting paid from work for being out sick? You can get it with a cert anyway.

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    I cannot believe that you are serious. If you are not prepared to accept that your child is liable to pick up bus, colds etc when placed in an area with other human beings then really you should keep the child at home in a bubble. The creche is a business and can't be dependant on parents picking and choosing when they want to pay. How can you be so certain that the bug was picked up in the creche in any case?

Why cant you believe she/he is serious. If its a parents first time to use these services and send their young ones out into the world, then its a completely normal question.

It used really hammer me when my kid got sick. Lost wages, Doctor bills + drugs and then having to pay for childcare that was not being used.

To say you cant believe why someone would ask if they needed to pay when under these pressures would be normal in my book.

But. They have to pay it .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

+1 brokenarms, it's hard enough handing your child over to strangers in the creche, so it's tough when they get sick so soon.
    But in my sons creche (giraffe) you have to pay. And get used to it, they will pick up bugs and coughs while they're there. The worst was when I had flu and was really drained, went to the doctor and was about to go home for a day in bed and the creche and said he had conjunctivitis and he had to be taken home asap.
    It's just one of those things you have to do as a parent, just make sure you keep plenty of annual leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hate to say it but you'd better get used to this. Presumably you had to sign something before starting your baby in the crèche? This should have outlined their rules but as others have said, they keep the place for your child and still have to pay all their overheads for the week. The creche didnt "give" him the sickness but yes, its highly likely he picked it up there. Putting your child in a crèche generally means you will have to prepare yourself for about 6 months of sickness. They all pick up everything. In the long run it will do his immune system a lot of good but in the short term I'm afraid you have to grin and bare it! Good luck.

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Hate to say it but you'd better get used to this. Presumably you had to sign something before starting your baby in the crèche? This should have outlined their rules but as others have said, they keep the place for your child and still have to pay all their overheads for the week. The creche didnt "give" him the sickness but yes, its highly likely he picked it up there. Putting your child in a crèche generally means you will have to prepare yourself for about 6 months of sickness. They all pick up everything. In the long run it will do his immune system a lot of good but in the short term I'm afraid you have to grin and bare it! Good luck.

On the plus side though. These bugs and sicknesses tend to bring strength to the young one in the long run. You may as well get it over and done with sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nothing worse than being in work, your phone rings and it's the creche phone number on the screen!
    They never ring to tell you your child just painted the best picture in class. It's always the baby is sick, collect him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Luca Brasi wrote: »

You can make a comment or voice an opinion without being so aggressive. Consider this a warning about toning down your rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The creche workers have to be paid, whether or not your child is there. And crèche workers are not very well-paid considering the important work they do.

To be honest, if you're happy with the service they provide, you should just accept it.

We love our crèche and I'm happy enough to accept paying over holidays, sick days etc as it's important to have a place that you trust.

Your child will also eventually pick up bugs in school, college, work etc. Just something that happens when people are in close proximity to each other, episcopally children with underdeveloped immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Surely you are paying for your child to have a spot at the crèche regardless of if they are in or out for whatever reasons.

Advertisement