Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving French

Options
  • 20-01-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

So, I'm in third year atm and my French isn't great tbh. My vocabulary's good but I'm just awful at grammar, listening and writing! I really want to improve since I'm going to have to keep it on for LC, just in case I need it for university. I like the French language, but the class itself puts me off the language. I'm really looking to improve before the pre's and JC! I keep trying to do exam papers but honestly don't see myself improving.

Any help or tips would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Moi aussi.
    Try watching some french tv to get used to listening to French and take a verb a night. For the writing, learn phrases for letters, postcards and notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Grian1

I have a brilliant French teacher. She's the sort that you can have fun in class and learn at the same time.
    The main piece of grammar is verbs and all their different tenses. The main tenses are present, future, passe compose. I only pick out a few irregular verbs that I'll use in the letter. Irregular verbs in present tense are usually irregular in the 'nous' and 'vous' person. The way I differentiate the futur from passe compose is futur has r sound. Passe compose has two verbs.
    The only way to improve your listening is when learning vocab make sure you know how it sounds, do aural tests and listen to French being spoken.
    In a letter always put down the address, date and closing. It is worth 2 marks. Learn off phrases. Look at the different topics in your book. Write something
    on it that could be on a letter.
    I used to have problems with vocabulary. My teacher told me write words down on strips of paper. Then put it in a box. Every day pick out a few words and test yourself.
    In a test always correct your mistakes.
    If you need help with something feel free to ask me.

Advertisement