Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Risk Western Ireland Jan 20-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Nice bit of after falling, but the ground was very wet so snow was only sticking to grass/cars/roofs etc. It got a bit heavier for a bit and started sticking to the ground, but it got lighter and turned to rain.

Looking at the radar there might be more snow as there is a pocket of heavier precip due to arrive soon, not that much heavier but it could be the difference between snow and rain, although not so sure about the temps at the moment.

There is still tonight, but it looks like Kerry kept all the snow to themselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Looking at Met.ie recent rainfall radar, there seems to be precip coming from SW and NE. How does this fair out for the day, mind I am not well up on metology(sp).

Looking at Met.ie recent rainfall radar, there seems to be precip coming from SW and NE. How does this fair out for the day, mind I am not well up on metology(sp).

We won't see much precip after 11am in the south, so there is not much more chance of snow until later this evening into Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Spindle wrote: »
    We won't see much precip after 11am in the south, so there is not much more chance of snow until later this evening into Tuesday morning.

But now there is lying snow prospects for snow tonight from the front passing over around 9pm must be better than 50% I'd have thought.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

Is that it over now then? Woke up this morning expecting to see some sort of snow and Nothing!!!! (near Knock airport)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

Really light snow falling in galway city

But now there is lying snow prospects for snow tonight from the front passing over around 9pm must be better than 50% I'd have thought.....

There is not much lying snow around my area of the city in the South, just a bit on roofs etc.

The real issue with tonight's front, is that it looks to be very weak and there might not be much heavy precip in it. We need heavy precip for any chance of decent snowfall especially as the uppers are marginal again. If it is too light then it will be just a sleet/rain event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Spindle wrote: »

There is not much lying snow around my area of the city in the South, just a bit on roofs etc.

The real issue with tonight's front, is that it looks to be very weak and there might not be much heavy precip in it. We need heavy precip for any chance of decent snowfall especially as the uppers are marginal again. If it is too light then it will be just a sleet/rain event.

Looks heavy enough on the Hirlam this morning for cork city and north cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Not a flake in east Galway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

We have snow!!!!! Snow in Galway!!! Thanks for sharing Kerry!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Looks heavy enough on the Hirlam this morning for cork city and north cork..
    Not much around the city. A light dusting is about all that remains really. A freeze later would leave the roads in a bad condition.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

10cm of snow here last night. Stating to melt now tho :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

A few flakes have appeared in Galway city now.

DAMMIT!

Not sticking but its snow!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Looks like this is fizzling out before Limerick even sees a flake.

Now it's going :( but it was snowing in Galway city west! Happy days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ogie84 wrote: »
    Not much around the city. A light dusting is about all that remains really. A freeze later would leave the roads in a bad condition.

I mean for this evening's front..this morning is dying out now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

few tiny flakes falling in Renmore, Galway atm.

I mean for this evening's front..this morning is dying out now.

Yeah we are in with a shot alright from around 9 on words. It will be hitting Kerry earlier than that, hopefully unlike last nights event it will push more east for us.

Temp must be up here, as the slow drip drip of the lying snow has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Anyone know if east mayo is in with a shot of snow? either during the day or tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Light fall of snow in Galway City(Parkmore) at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

2" of lying snow here at the foot of the Ballyhoura's,will head up the mountain later and get some pic's
    dying out now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it's *gasp* snowing in cork.:D:D how long has it been snowing for because i only woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Nothing in Craughwell. Temp is 1.5 and Dewpoint is 0.1, if your seeing something in Galway and then Renmore though it may keep coming towards me. I live in eternal hope but know full well any bit thats there will have fizzled out before it reaches me. And that band over Galway at the mo looks like the last of it for a while. Boo hoo. Didnt get anything done yesterday or this morning with all the radar watching. Woke at least 5 times to check my phone for current weather conditions. Maybe at least now I can start being a productive and fully functioning human being instead f a snow-zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    it's *gasp* snowing in cork.:D:D how long has it been snowing for because i only woke up.

There's a covering on some surfaces here in the city centre, so it must have snowed quite a bit overnight.

You missed it all, sleet showers started around 7 -7:30 then proper snow started 8am lasted until 9am. It was sticking to grass and cars, but as ground was wet not much on the ground was sticking.

It then changed to wet snow followed by rain. There won't be another shot until around 9 tonight. Until then it is the dripping of the melting snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hears6 wrote: »
    Really light snow falling in galway city
    RuthieRose wrote: »
    We have snow!!!!! Snow in Galway!!! Thanks for sharing Kerry!!!
    Seaneh wrote: »
    few tiny flakes falling in Renmore, Galway atm.
    NTC wrote: »
    Light fall of snow in Galway City(Parkmore) at the moment.

Its getting closeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, i can almost smell it. Come on snow, just a little further East, you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Since about 7

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    There's a covering on some surfaces here in the city centre, so it must have snowed quite a bit overnight.

There was no snow overnight, just started around 7:30 to 8. Before that just a little bit of sleet. If you had got the precip Kerry had overnight we would have a lot more. The front really struggled to move east for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A few flakes have appeared in Galway city now.

DAMMIT!
    Snowflake allergy?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement