Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Risk Western Ireland Jan 20-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

that'll do :) although would like a blizzard, but that will enough of a fix for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Anything for east mayo ? :( any chance at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

what are the chances for snow in kerry tonight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Turning into a lovely sunny day in Limerick. The one fecking day of the year there is no precipitation

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

iFreeley wrote: »
    Anything for east mayo ? :( any chance at all?

Very slim to non-existent chances for the north-west. I think the bit you saw this morning might be all you see from this cold spell.
    kmoneill wrote: »
    what are the chances for snow in kerry tonight ??

They are looking good, from around 8ish onwards there is another Atlantic system bringing in some precip. If you can keep the lying snow for the day then chances are even better. Just remember to boast about all the snow you have, it is not often the South-West has some of the best snow in Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well we got snow in Cork, esp for the higher ground as I Predicted :)
    Tonight is very interesting, but may be only sleet in the City due to the possibility of an onshore wind. North and West Cork yet again look poised.
    Will update this evening after the 12's
    Anyone have access to what the NAE model is showing this evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

What about limerick for tonight?

Tonight is very interesting, but may be only sleet in the City due to the possibility of an onshore wind. North and West Cork yet again look poised.

Yeah last night was the best night for snow in Cork City but we never got the precip. With the onshore wind might be to much of a stretch to get snow in here, but further from the coast should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

See http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=42&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD= Its going with rain at the mo but them pinks are just a tiny bit away. I think if you factor in the snow fields in Kerry the system will pass over we could be in clover!

Not sure who does the forecasts on Irish Weather Network but this looks promising again tonight....

"...During this evening, another band of rain, sleet or snow will affect southern counties and this will gradually move northeast towards the midlands where it dies out. Snow over higher ground in Munster and inland away from the coast. A few wintry flurries again possible towards east facing coasts and in Ulster. Clear skies will develop leading to icy stretches on roads and a sharp to severe frost forming with lows of 0 to -3C. Towards morning on Tuesday, a band of heavy precip will move into the southeast and push in across Leinster. This will likely give significant accumulations over the Wicklow mtns but may just be a wintry mix at lowers levels. Brighter skies will develop in most places by the afternoon which will lead to another very frosty night on Tuesday with fog patches first thing on Wednesday.

Wednesday will be mostly dry and bright with a few wintry showers towards eastern facing coasts...."

Met E say as follows...

"..Well scattered wintry showers or rain, sleet and snow tonight - mainly across Munster and Ulster at first and later across the midlands and east. Additional accumulations of snow likely on higher ground as well as some lower levels. Long dry spells too though, with cloud breaking to give sharp or severe ground frost and ice on untreated surfaces. Freezing fog developing in parts also, with just light southeast breezes. Lowest temperatures +1 to -4 degrees Celsius. ".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ChillyHilly

Snowing again in Ovens, Co.Cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=18&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Rihanna's "Stay" just came on the radio, maybe it would be no harm to sing it to the snow in the hope it would stay :)

Judging by the slushy sh*te that's on the roads, it will be treacherous on the roads tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,926 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Absolutely nothing of any note happening in Galway. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Snowflake allergy?!

Not me! Just my bleedin' car.

Well tonight's fun and games for the South is just nudging into the radar. Let's hope it's heavy and that it moves far enough North. To be fair last night's was very restricted to the extreme Southwest.
    Will it snow ??
    I think so and dewpoints are falling all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ketrab82

Cork city without the snow, but a lot of snow at the Cork airport :). Photos from 1pm today

th_777067950_20130121_131107_122_237lo.jpg th_777125957_20130121_131114_122_367lo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Met Eireann seem to be only forecasting showers for SW while this bank of Precip looks a little more organised.
    not too hopeful now......

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

I think this band could possibly reach East tipp tonight, hopefully we get some here in Limerick city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

North Donegal, 2oC and sleet/ snow, clouds look heavy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

DoneDL wrote: »
    North Donegal, 2oC and sleet/ snow, clouds look heavy :D
    some real dark heavy clouds coming off the Atlantic......problem is the temp is rocketing. Was 2.1c at 14.00 now 5.4c. Thought my weather station was faulty, but car showing 5.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Well tonight's fun and games for the South is just nudging into the radar. Let's hope it's heavy and that it moves far enough North. To be fair last night's was very restricted to the extreme Southwest.
    Will it snow ??
    I think so and dewpoints are falling all the time

I didnt realise there was another band of precipation coming in ! , but it seems milder today , my desktop app is telling me 4c at the moment , temps didnt get above 2.5c on my weather station at home yesterday , we'll see though!

I find it quite hilarious the way people take Met Eireann's forecast as gospel when usually they are hours behind what's going on in here.

The 12z gfs has tonights ppn missing everyone to the South of the country so not good!!
    Let's hope the UKMO is better

UKMO is the same so both models have us dry for the night.
    Game over for snow, small chance the ppn might skirt the south coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

edward_norton_angry_laptop_gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Game over? Last nights rainfall predictions were quite poor actually so what makes you think tonight's models will be gospel?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Some nice snow here this morning, began to accumulate on cars and grass later on. Good enough for me anyway.

NAE also showing no precip, heading south and only hitting sout-west Kerry, looks like we might miss out on this one, and with the dew points and temp forecast to be just right!

• Advertisement

General question - has the snow melted everywhere or can anyone suggest somewhere within 1 hr drive of Cork City that would have a lot of lying snow even this evening. Half thinking I'd drive my little son out to see it if so......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement