Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Risk Western Ireland Jan 20-22

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

After some nice snow this morning, freezing fog all day, temp has risen to 3.7c and we have the pleasure of rain now. South mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looking at the 12z NAE there is a weak band moving over the west tonight. Best prospects for snow look like Sligo/Mayo direction but just loking at dew points and thickness, it could yet be snow for anywhere that actually gets this precipitation.

On an imby basis, it passes through Cork at around 6am. Uppers are only -4 then but dew points are -3 and the 528 dam line is v close by so we could get lucky again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looking at the 12z NAE there is a weak band moving over the west tonight. Best prospects for snow look like Sligo/Mayo direction but just loking at dew points and thickness, it could yet be snow for anywhere that actually gets this precipitation.

On an imby basis, it passes through Cork at around 6am. Uppers are only -4 then but dew points are -3 and the 528 dam line is v close by so we could get lucky again.

Have you a link to that Rebelbrowser?

Have you a link to that Rebelbrowser?

See http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=18&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

I've only started using weatheronline's expert charts. Its a great site for looking up dew points etc etc

See http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=18&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

I've only started using weatheronline's expert charts. Its a great site for looking up dew points etc etc

Predicting rain for this part of the world it seems if it arrives. Could make driving very dangerous in the morning.

• Advertisement

Predicting rain for this part of the world it seems if it arrives. Could make driving very dangerous in the morning.

Just looking at the Met Eireann Radar the precipitation off the west coast appears to be intensifying. Just how far east it makes it is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just looking at the Met Eireann Radar the precipitation off the west coast appears to be intensifying. Just how far east it makes it is the question.

Its falling as rain here at the moment.

Its falling as rain here at the moment.

Must be milder air then! Oh well..had you snow earlier today or this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah rain in north Clare as well. Might make conditions very icey later however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Must be milder air then! Oh well..had you snow earlier today or this week?

Could be almost classed as cold or freezing rain as it is frozen on the cars now. The next band might be more interesting, could make for treacherous driving conditions.
    Only had one small 15min shower on Monday while driving, kept me happy for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Sounds like it is freezing rain. (pbly the most lethal of all weather)
    Uppers must be too high to support snow, in the West anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

This band coming in from the west a lot more intense than yesterday and moving alot faster i think it will move a lot more inland reaching maybe east tipp , hopefully if it does reach limerick it turns from rain to snow.

PS.just a guess by looking at radar could be completely wrong please correct me if i am :)

Looks interesting. dew points are low so you'd never know! They seem to getting beefier...

ME are half promising (not rain anyway)....

22 January 2013 15:48

Today
    Becoming very cold after dark this evening with frost, ice and fog returning. Some scattered showers of hail, sleet and snow in parts of Connacht, west Munster and along the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Temp has dropped rapidly here in Craughwell, down to 1.2 (was 5 just an hour ago), dew point is -1.1 and that band of precip is getting so close.... this could be our chance. Searchig desperately for the 'off' button on my personal snow sheild.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Yes hopefully it will get interesting later when dew points go down a bit lower, showers are definetly moving further inland in the west than yesterday and sunday night.

Just had light rain in Galway City there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its rain, quite heavy here. Air temp of 2.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Don't think anywhere below 200m ASL in the south west will see any snow from the precip coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Looks interesting. dew points are low so you'd never know! They seem to getting beefier...

We've seen this too many times before. The fronts that do move in weaken and die out before they get very far inland. This is what happened last night and probably tonight as well. I doubt we will see any precipitation tonight, just a hard frost, but I hope I am wrong. The lows just seem too far north for me.

Munster
    22 January 2013- updated at 17:00

Tonight

Cold tonight with a sharp to severe frost, icy surfaces and some freezing fog too. A band of showers will spread from the west overnight, the showers mainly falling as sleet and snow. Lowest temperatures generally ranging from -1 to -4 degrees, though staying a little above zero in some southern and southwestern coastal parts. Winds will just be light southeasterly.

Looks more promising...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Any reports from north kerry?

I was out walking in last 30 mins and could see precip falling over the mountains on the dingle peninsula from across the bay in south kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thread closed folks. The thread was really in relation to a disturbance on Monday. I would rather keep all discussion in one thread from here on in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement