Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Risk Western Ireland Jan 20-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Doesn't feel cold enough in Galway. I can see this band only being a bit of drizzle or sleet at best. Not expecting much when I get up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Snowing now in Newcastlewest, Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Snowing now in Newcastlewest, Limerick

How heavy? I hope it reaches Suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Snowing in Donoughmore which is about 25 km North West of Cork City. It is on high ground though around 300m.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

The only reason i am letting it slide is because Munster won, youse can have your moment. Snow and knocking Leinster out in one day!

We'd just keep reopening the thread.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

finlma wrote: »
    Doesn't feel cold enough in Galway. I can see this band only being a bit of drizzle or sleet at best. Not expecting much when I get up in the morning.

Not sure which Galway ur in , it's freezing hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

noobsnow95 wrote: »

How heavy? I hope it reaches Suburbs

Started off pretty light but picking up a bit now...good decent snow as well, none of that grauple ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The raintoday radar looks like we should be getting hammered by snow??:(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Band looks to be intensifying slightly still very slow moving
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Not sure which Galway ur in , it's freezing hard!

The city - was out for a walk and no sign of frost and just didn't feel that cold. Maybe my blood is just warm this evening. Would love a bit of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

its snowing now in Keryyhead/ Tralee and all around kerry by the sounds :D not settling though :( hope it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Sorry lads, kids needed 'correcting'. Driveway is white, can confirm driveway is white!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

dave1982 wrote: »
    The raintoday radar looks like we should be getting hammered by snow??:(

The precip is just dying out just before Cobh. Anyway the temps being reported out by Roches Point make it likely to fall as rain maybe sleet.

Apparently snowing in Clifden now so good sign for Galway/Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Back door security light watch in effect here near Moate. A few tiny flakes or more likely graupel in the slight breeze. Nothing to do with the 'front' down south. I expect nothing overnight, maybe a few flurries tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

In the city. My sgs3 tells me its snowing in Galway. Looked out, could see stars!!!

finlma wrote: »
    Apparently snowing in Clifden now so good sign for Galway/Mayo.

If the band nudges another 15 miles east towards Clonbur In Galway I may be in business :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm afraid too look outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

accuweather revised down to 1-3in maybe because i set my location to castlebar

while i am it, how does a automatic weather stations tell the difference between rain, sleet and snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Just been talking to my mother in Northampton and they have at least a foot on the ground. Lucky f*******.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

heavy Rain now. 2.5 degrees.
    140m ASL.
    mid Cork.

NO Snow tonight IMO

RTE weather said the snow will be mostly west of Galway city so Connemara in for some but the rest of us maybe not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

weisses wrote: »
    Snowing here ... That's a while back seeing that :D
    Still snowing? Sod all here for now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Birtles wrote: »
    heavy Rain now. 2.5 degrees.
    140m ASL.
    mid Cork.

NO Snow tonight IMO

I disagree. I think you'll be fine there. Just looking at the the latest NAE and GFS and I reckon Cork city's big problem will be lack of precipitation. Its mostly going south of us. IF there is precipitation around 3 to 8am we will get snow though looking at the uppers, dew points etc. That actually tallies with what ME and the NAE are saying. On balance I'd expect about 2cm in Cork suburbs by the morning, but no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bondurant

Not confident at all about snow falling in Cork City or close by tonight for a number of reasons... I'm a few miles west of Ballincollig so watching the N22 NRA Weather Station near Macroom which is the closest I know to me.
    As the temperature slowly drops (from 2.5 at about 5 this evening to current 1.7) the humidity has gone from 85% to 95% meaning dew point temperatures have actually risen.
    So unless the rain which has been falling since about 5pm really intensifies (which will enable some Phase Change or Evaporative Cooling) then the drop in temperature needs to go below zero for snow to happen. Neither look likely to happen at the moment.

On the plus side is the fact that I'm far from an expert on all this and the rain could have changed to snow while I'm typing this ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

anyone know anything about east mayo? any chance of any snow for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Limerick seems the place to be! Maybe they will do Galway a favour and spin some this direction:)

iFreeley wrote: »
    anyone know anything about east mayo? any chance of any snow for us?

Very slim at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabregas9200

Any chance for snow in Sligo tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Not a flake to be seen in limerick city..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement