Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Risk Western Ireland Jan 20-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Spindle wrote: »
    It is very light precip though, so what ever is falling is light. Also looks like Shannon had a blip on the 00:00 update of the radar, so that is why precip is not showing.

I would have expected something heavier to have come in at this stage, but it looks to have stalled and is very light. For Cork city to see anything we need it to be heavier. At the moment still just getting cold drizzle. If the front does get moving we still have a slight chance of some snow.

The temp here is currently 2c with a dew point of -0.51 so very marginal for snow, if we get a slight temp drop or heavy precip, could still happen. But it is more hope casting at this stage I reckon.

I was away for about two hours but in that time Cork Airport dew points have dropped from 1.4 to -1.2 so thats good. Problem is precipitation! If we get some overnight we will get (a little) snow. Don't rule out a dry night though. We must kept trusting in the NAE forecasts which always said snow would be from 3am to 8am (mind you it was supposed to be raining, not dry, before then).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

The precip seems to be moving further south than was modeled keeping the heaviest precip off the coast, Kerry and a bit of West Cork will get the heavy stuff over the next few hours. Enjoy

Also when was the last time you saw this Valentia has the lowest temp of all the Met Eireann stations on the 00:00 report, also the only one showing Sleet :)

I have all but given up on Cork city, if there is snow tomorrow then it will be a happy accident :)
    Just had a look at the hirlam and it shows it hardly making cork city http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm (nedbor) location location i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Rooy wrote: »
    light rain for past hour in Douglas Cork @80m . 2c , being hovering around that since lunchtime

Nothing happening here in Douglas , i think it is even dry now ,what a letdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I was away for about two hours but in that time Cork Airport dew points have dropped from 1.4 to -1.2 so thats good. Problem is precipitation! If we get some overnight we will get (a little) snow. Don't rule out a dry night though. We must kept trusting in the NAE forecasts which always said snow would be from 3am to 8am (mind you it was supposed to be raining, not dry, before then).

Have a look at the 3 hour forecast on Met.ie, it is showing the heavier precip further south and only into Kerry. It was showing it over the city earlier. I think that is why Met Eireann updated to say West Cork and Kerry in the weather warning.

Not calling game over as even now at Roches point dew points are moving into marginal for sleet/snow region, but without that precip it is meaningless. The winds are to go NW as well later, so that will probably result in the dew points rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just had a look at the hirlam and it shows it hardly making cork city http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm (nedbor) location location i guess

Doesn't show precip tomorrow night either. NAE on the other hand shows lots of precipitation over Cork city at 1am on Tuesday with 2m temps of -4 to -6!

• Advertisement

Doesn't show precip tomorrow night either. NAE on the other hand shows lots of precipitation over Cork city at 1am on Tuesday with 2m temps of -4 to -6!
    Hirlam is more accurate for precipitation in my humble experience but i am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Spindle your a devil!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

We have drizzle in Galway city :(

Have a look at the 3 hour forecast on Met.ie, it is showing the heavier precip further south and only into Kerry. It was showing it over the city earlier. I think that is why Met Eireann updated to say West Cork and Kerry in the weather warning.

Not calling game over as even now at Roches point dew points are moving into marginal for sleet/snow region, but without that precip it is meaningless. The winds are to go NW as well later, so that will probably result in the dew points rising.
    Its rare to see Valentia with lower temp and dew point than inland locations in Kerry, precipitation getting drier and more likely to stick now as a result of the lower dew point air and colder uppers.
    http://irelandsweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hmm, there does seem like some activity in the Irish Sea on latest Met radar? I live in hope....oops wrong thread, sorry!

• Advertisement

That's it calling it a night, dry, no frost, temp of 1c. Pretty boring stuff. If there is snow in the morning it will be ninja snow, which I would take.

Enjoy your snow Kerry/West Cork.

Its rare to see Valentia with lower temp and dew point than inland locations in Kerry, precipitation getting drier and more likely to stick now as a result of the lower dew point air and colder uppers.
    http://irelandsweather.com/

Check the M6 bouy as well 200 miles out in the Atlantic -1.7 dew point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭squonk

Sleet/wet snow just kicking off here in North Clare. Pretty light and nothing so far to even wet the ground let Aline stick but its a start. I had expected to see rain as a kick off in my location so I'm happy. It really needs to intensify though to do anything useful.

squonk wrote: »
    Sleet/wet snow just kicking off here in North Clare. Pretty light and nothing so far to even wet the ground let Aline stick but its a start. I had expected to see rain as a kick off in my location so I'm happy. It really needs to intensify though to do anything useful.
    You on holidays then :pac: Location says Galway ;)

You on holidays then :pac: Location says Galway ;)

Yup, I work in galway but I'm from North Clare so I'm back home for a bit. Great timing as it turns out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 moon2012

Snowing nicely here in Kerry, nice big fluffy snow falling, 2 inches in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

moon2012 wrote: »
    Snowing nicely here in Kerry, nice big fluffy snow falling, 2 inches in the ground.

Damn you! I suppose ye deserve it considering how little snow ye get.

Cork might as well pack up and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

where abouts in kerry are you moon2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Chucken wrote: »
    Snowing in ogonelloe, East Clare :D

Just spent an hour driving over hills and down dales to find this snow...not a flake :mad:

The person who phoned me that report is in serious trouble :mad::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 moon2012

budweiser6 wrote: »
    where abouts in kerry are you moon2012?

Killorglin, snowing for past few hours, nice big fluffy flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

moon2012 wrote: »

Killorglin, snowing for past few hours, nice big fluffy flakes.
    Feck sake . Costa cork suburbs here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Good bit on the ground here and still snowing.. between Macroom and Millstreet

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Nothing fell in Limerick city tonight.Just goes to show that met.ie,MT C and most on here cant predict much.
    Pinch of salt should be taken to all forecasts on here although temps were close enough

gihj wrote: »
    Nothing fell in Limerick city tonight.Just goes to show that met.ie,MT C and most on here cant predict much.
    Pinch of salt should be taken to all forecasts on here although temps were close enough

These are almost always now cast type events. The night isn't over yet but conditions are always going to vary at the time and place to place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

any chance of snow in south east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

squonk wrote: »

These are almost always now cast type events. The night isn't over yet but conditions are always going to vary at the time and place to place.
    Zero precipitation tho.
    After the predictions here?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Nothing here in Douglas/Cork City :(

Slightly heavier wet snow in north Clare now and more of a breeze. Ground still dry however. You can just about make out the moon through the cloud however so, for now at least, a dumping isn't on the cards.

gihj wrote: »
    Zero precipitation tho.
    After the predictions here?

I've seen fronts break up o fail to materialise coming up against a cold air mass before. I'm not terribly surprised.

Gotta call it a night now however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Not sure how many people know about this website

http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?weatherstation=IR8&RegionId=0&view=location

Should prove useful in getting a more accurate local temp/dew points if you live near one of the locations!

Very nice corksurfer always wondered where you could view the data from those stations. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement