Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science UCD

Options
  • 20-01-2013 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I'm a defer student and will starting computer science in UCD in sept and I'm wondering does anyone one have suggests on any programming languages or anything beneficial to brush up on as I'm eager to get started.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Riain13 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm a defer student and will starting computer science in UCD in sept and I'm wondering does anyone one have suggests on any programming languages or anything beneficial to brush up on as I'm eager to get started.

C, without a shadow of a doubt. This is the most important thing to look at.

As additional measures, if you want an easy year:

learn how to apply the rules of logic, transformational proofs, proof by contradiction and deduction· 2. develop simple finite state models

basic matrix algebra

Java (object-oriented projects)

Boolean-logic puzzles

and Computer hardware ( Describe the architecture and organization of a computer system.· 2. Explain what the main hardware components of a computer system are and how they work.· 3. Identify computer technologies in current use.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Riain13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

If you haven't got any programming experience, something like codeacademy.com will get your mind thinking in the right kind of way - the first thing you learn as a programmer is how to break down problems in the right way and think through them.

If you have experience and want to tone your knowledge back up, I can't recommend python enough as a quick and easy language to play around with

If you just want to get a head start on classes, then go with C, it's what you learn in first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Riain13

Thanks for the replies that's great gives me a nice large amount of material to go through and learn. I do have some programming experience in my free time with Just Basic and Visual Basic still going check out codeacademy.com do sounds interesting. Thanks again.

Advertisement