Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driveway / private road costs

Options
  • 20-01-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently viewed a house that had a terrible access road which unfortunately is privately owned by a local farmer. The house I viewed is the only house accessed via the road but its also used by the farmer to access a few barns and some fields presumably with a tractor and other heavy machinery.

As you can hopefully make out from the photo the road is in very bad condition and for regular use with cars I think it would have to be fixed up. I would want it done to the same standard as a regular public road.

If I was to decide on bidding for the house I would be doing so taking into account the cost of repairing the road to a high standard that would withstand tractors etc. It may be possible to get the farmer to agree to pay it 50 / 50 in the future but as hes the one selling the house I would be reducing any bid by the amount I would be spending to repair the road. Obviously if it gets to that stage I would be seeking professional advice but I thought Id pick yere brains before I decide to put in a conditional bid or not.

Thanks for all help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Hi I recently viewed a house that had a terrible access road which unfortunately is privately owned by a local farmer. The house I viewed is the only house accessed via the road but its also used by the farmer to access a few barns and some fields presumably with a tractor and other heavy machinery.

As you can hopefully make out from the photo the road is in very bad condition and for regular use with cars I think it would have to be fixed up. I would want it done to the same standard as a regular public road.

If I was to decide on bidding for the house I would be doing so taking into account the cost of repairing the road to a high standard that would withstand tractors etc. It may be possible to get the farmer to agree to pay it 50 / 50 in the future but as hes the one selling the house I would be reducing any bid by the amount I would be spending to repair the road. Obviously if it gets to that stage I would be seeking professional advice but I thought Id pick yere brains before I decide to put in a conditional bid or not.

Thanks for all help.

If the farmer is selling the house. You will/ should get a right of way over the access. You/ your solicitor could look for a standard agreement on road maintenance as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Any idea what is a standard agreement on road maintenance in a situation like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

You prob know already but to get the council to take over this road there has to be 2 or more houses built on the road. Have the same problem myself, our road is alot worse than yours. I'd also say you'll have a job getting the farmer to pay to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

RubyGirl wrote: »
    You prob know already but to get the council to take over this road there has to be 2 or more houses built on the road. Have the same problem myself, our road is alot worse than yours. I'd also say you'll have a job getting the farmer to pay to get it done.

I live on a road with 6 houses which is now in absolute rag order. Early last year the Council came along and covered the surface of the worst strip of it with loose chip which they rolled. Fine for a couple of months and then the pot holes appeared in anger. Now its like driving on a rough cross county track with massive holes of water. No amount of complaining will get the Council back so I wouldnt hold my breath hoping that the Council will take over a road wiht two or more houses on it! I forgot to add that they did come back during the summer last and put up a 'Stop' sign!!! All is not lost!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

I am in the process of buying a house that is on a private road for which the solicitor says I have right of way but I have not seen this spelt out in writing. There is also no road maintenance agreement spelt out in writing. Should I be insistent that such documents are created or not worry. According to an old letter from the council it's 135 meters of private road to the public road. Bedsides my house (if I complete the sale) two farmers use the road so I would be the "lightest" user of the road with my one car in all likelihood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

cali_eire wrote: »
    I am in the process of buying a house that is on a private road for which the solicitor says I have right of way but I have not seen this spelt out in writing. There is also no road maintenance agreement spelt out in writing. Should I be insistent that such documents are created or not worry. According to an old letter from the council it's 135 meters of private road to the public road. Bedsides my house (if I complete the sale) two farmers use the road so I would be the "lightest" user of the road with my one car in all likelihood.

BE VERY CAREFUL.
    I looked into purchasing a house in a very similar situation but backed out as the cost of the road in the future was a bit much and from talking to ppl in the area it wouldnt last too long when done anyhow. It was a bit hilly so suffers when there is heavy rain.

You will be the only one with any interest in the condition of the road, the others will be driving tractors and wont care about the condition of the road. If you buy the house without an agreement you will be paying and the other users will be driving up it on heavy machinery.

DO NOT buy without an agreement and even then id be very slow to move forward with this.Whats an acceptable road for a tractor to drive on is very different from whats acceptable for your car.

I see from previous posts that it may be towards skib that you were looking at, the house I was considering had a long private road shared only with farmers and was also in west cork but not so far west. Best of luck anyhow.

Advertisement