Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing in notice advice

Options
  • 20-01-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm handing in my notice tomorrow and need some advice on shortening my notice period, my new company would like to me to start asap but have also said if my 4 weeks can't be reduced they'll wait so all good there, but i'm really keen to get going with my new employer.
    My contract says 4 weeks but what would be the best way to put it so I leave the place on good terms. I was going to write something like "my notice period is 4 weeks but I would like to join my new employer at the earliest date. Therefore, I would like to request an earlier termination ending 25th January." or should I say "my notice period is 4 weeks but I would like to join my new employer at the earliest date. Therefore, I would like to request a 1 week notice period effective from 21st January."

Which would be better or what would be more suitable?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't think the exact wording makes a huge difference. You're asking for a big reduction in your notice period, so you'll need to convince them during the meeting that you can do all the handovers / tie up loose ends etc within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Eoin, thought that myself. Do you think if I gave them 2 weeks notice I would be better off? The reason I was thinking this week was we get paid last friday of each month so would be easier for payroll for both parties, no? It's one of those industries that if I went to a competitor they would tell me to leave and put me on gardening leave but that's not direction I'm going in my case. I suppose I could suggest it and see what they say and then tailor my resignation letter after the meeting?

2 weeks is a bit more reasonable - I think the key is being able to convince your manager that you will do everything possible to make sure that them cutting the notice period in half won't inconvenience them too much. When you meet to hand in your notice, have answers ready for any concerns they might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Do you have any holidays you can take (carried over)?

If not then I would say take your boss aside and have a chat with him before offically handing in the notice. He might be willing but I'd say you have more chance of getting it if you ask in person rather than over email

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Okay thanks again. This is the first time I've handed in my notice hence the stupid questions but I take it the best approach would be to call a meeting, verbally resign and ask about reducing my notice period, whatever the outcome from that discussion then email my manager and other parties concerned with letter attached with my official resignation tailored to match the notice period that was agreed with my manager?

• Advertisement

Notice wrote: »
    Okay thanks again. This is the first time I've handed in my notice hence the stupid questions but I take it the best approach would be to call a meeting, verbally resign and ask about reducing my notice period, whatever the outcome from that discussion then email my manager and other parties concerned with letter attached with my official resignation tailored to match the notice period that was agreed with my manager?

That sounds about right. But I don't think there's any harm in binging your letter with your requested end date to the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Bring two copies,on for HR and one for your manager.

Keep the HR one to the point.

Add a couple of complimentary line to your managers letter, it can't hurt to flatter a little.

Advertisement