Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Ireland for foreigner

Options
  • 20-01-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I came over from the Netherlands a while ago and now my dad is very keen to come over to Ireland and do some fishing. He asked me to look into the possibilities but because I know nothing about fishing myself I have no idea where to start.

Where is best to go freshwater fishing? Do you need licences?

Hopefully you guys can help me along!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

yes you need a license for trout and salmon, but not for pike, carp etc.

No license needed for sea fishing.

Where do you live is the most important question

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Live in Killaloe, but he'd go all over to check everything out. I know you can go fishing here but not sure if it's any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Hi all,

I came over from the Netherlands a while ago and now my dad is very keen to come over to Ireland and do some fishing. He asked me to look into the possibilities but because I know nothing about fishing myself I have no idea where to start.

A lot of Information here: http://www.fishinginireland.info/

Have a read and come back here if there's any outstanding matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Kerry, kerry, kerry.... best place to fish in ireland...

www.facebook.com/dinglepeninsulafishing

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Choochacha

http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/Angling

Have a look at this site, my husband is from the UK - he thinks the fishing in Ireland is the best in the world! I think you need a licence for rivers, but not lakes. He gets his licence on line at

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/shopping/licences-online.htm

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the sites lads, very helpful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

you need a permit to fish most waters in the country regardless of intended catch.
    i would recommend the midlands as there are more lakes. sheelin being the best in the country.
    also lough lene in collinstown is not a bad lake, stocked with rainbows and free to fish, free to fish, regardless of what you are told you do not need a permit to fish lough lene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Suckfisher

Hi all,

Ahoy Jongen lived in Holland for 3 years the dutch love fishing.

Maybe ask your dad what fish exactly he likes to catch at home?
    I remember cathing a 7 or 8 pound pike on the Rijn canal and two auld lads berating me as i released it.

Suckfisher wrote: »
    Ahoy Jongen lived in Holland for 3 years the dutch love fishing.

Maybe ask your dad what fish exactly he likes to catch at home?
    I remember cathing a 7 or 8 pound pike on the Rijn canal and two auld lads berating me as i released it.

That's the thing, he doesn't fish at home, although he knows a lot about it. suppose his hunting buddies put him up to this idea. Found a lot of info in the meantime, have a few places where I think he can start his new hobby.

you need a permit to fish most waters in the country regardless of intended catch.
    i would recommend the midlands as there are more lakes. sheelin being the best in the country.
    also lough lene in collinstown is not a bad lake, stocked with rainbows and free to fish, free to fish, regardless of what you are told you do not need a permit to fish lough lene.

You do need a permit to fish Lene.

• Advertisement

you do not need a permit to fish lene. check it out. have a look at peter o reillys book loughs of ireland, stated in the book fishing free. permits for lene are printed by the club on lene, not the government or any other official body. Gandy fagan wont allow anyone through his land to the lake to fish without a permit, he is a club committee member who ownes land on the shore. the club members will tell you that you need a permit. the bottom lone is you dont. fishing is free on lough lene. many years ago lough lene was listed on the shannon regional fisheries board permit along with all the other lakes and rivers on the inny and brosna catchment. its not there any more. are you a member of the club on lene?? if not then you are misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

you do not need a permit to fish lene. check it out. have a look at peter o reillys book loughs of ireland, stated in the book fishing free. permits for lene are printed by the club on lene, not the government or any other official body. Gandy fagan wont allow anyone through his land to the lake to fish without a permit, he is a club committee member who ownes land on the shore. the club members will tell you that you need a permit. the bottom lone is you dont. fishing is free on lough lene. many years ago lough lene was listed on the shannon regional fisheries board permit along with all the other lakes and rivers on the inny and brosna catchment. its not there any more. are you a member of the club on lene?? if not then you are misinformed.
    So the club pays for the stocking of the lake and the likes of you come along and take their fish without permission? Nice

Daroxtar wrote: »
    So the club pays for the stocking of the lake and the likes of you come along and take their fish without permission? Nice

ha!!. i might fish lene once a year or once every two years. i fish sheelin and other midlands lakes. i prefer to fish for wild brown trout not stocked rainbows, a dog with a hammer up his arse could catch them.
    the point im making is that lene is free to fish. no permit is needed.
    there would be good browns in lene if the club stopped ruining it with rainbows.
    in fact there are some good brown trout in lough lene but they are facing too much competition from stocked rainbows which grow quicker.
    all that aside, lough lene is free to fish and lots of people know this. that is why david omalley and a few other tackle dealers cant keep that power bait in stock. the lake is being cleaned out by people fishing from the shore. anyway thats a problem for the club.
    like i said no permit needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

the biggest problem is the greedy older generation trollers and non nationals killing everything on lene.

ive just done a quick search and there is nowhere that i have seen that says "free fishing" on lene

the biggest problem is the greedy older generation trollers and non nationals killing everything on lene.

ive just done a quick search and there is nowhere that i have seen that says "free fishing" on lene

yes and young lads taking hundreds of fish every summer while fishing from the bank.
    i have a friend living in collinstown and he has seen buckets of rainbows being taken home!!!
    its common knowledge around mdilands that lene is free to fish.
    if you look at the book loughs of ireland you will see it.
    i dont know of any other publication where it is written.
    you will never see or hear or read of anyone being prosecuted for fishing lene without a permit.

-You need a permit/ membership to fish Lene.
    -I wouldn't regard Peter O Reillys book as the flagship for fisheries legislation.
    -The reason Lene is not on the SRFB permit anymore is that it is part of the Boyne catchment, formally ERFB now IFI Blackrock.
    -No I'm not a member.
    -You are the one that's misinformed.

you will never see or hear or read of anyone being prosecuted for fishing lene without a permit.

This is simply incorrect. Just because you dont hear about it doesent make it true.
    Do you hear about it on any of the other Boyne clubs? For example can you fish, Longwood, Trim, Navan, Edenderry, White lake, Stoneyford, Boyne &Deel etc without fear of prosecution?
    I've heard your argument several times in the last 20 years and can state here and now that it holds no water, and that proceedings have been taken against anglers fishing without a permit in the Boyne RBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Live in Killaloe, but he'd go all over to check everything out. I know you can go fishing here but not sure if it's any good?

If coarse fishing is what he wants, then you have some smashing options pretty much on your doorstep. I fish lough Derg on a regular basis (mostly pike) and it is still a very good lake from boat or shore.

Somewhere like TJs Angling centre in the village would be ideal for your dad to getbait and gear, and also for advice on where to go on the lake.

Nearby you will have O'Briens Bridge which has a great mix of coarse fish, and McNamaras lake between Killaloe and Clonlara has carp in it.

Then if you want to take a little spin you have some good Clare lakes nearby like Doon Lake, Dromore lough ( and Lough Garr), Rosroe lake, and the Callaun lake chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lisciasty

Hi!
    Why you blame non national - be educated. You can blame only farmers and big industry business who are poisoning environment and kill fishes. Above problem is one of the issue in many countries around the world. Second is water power turbines and dams which one do not let the fishes traveling. 100 years ago scientist knows that rainbow trout is one of natural markers of water purity.
    With regards
    Peter

Lisciasty wrote: »
    Hi!
    Why you blame non national - be educated. You can blame only farmers and big industry business who are poisoning environment and kill fishes. Above problem is one of the issue in many countries around the world. Second is water power turbines and dams which one do not let the fishes traveling. 100 years ago scientist knows that rainbow trout is one of natural markers of water purity.
    With regards
    Peter

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for the sensationalist hyperbole. None of which applies to L. Lene. Take a drive over to Collinstown and see for yourself.

Lisciasty wrote: »
    Hi!
    With regards
    Peter

Absolute rubbish! None of what you have said applies to Lene.

There are a group of non nationals breaking the rules on L.Lene every weekend.Fact!

In response to your "be educated" remark, I would advice you read back through your post.

• Advertisement

There are a group of non nationals illegally fishing L.Lene every weekend from the shore.Fact!

What are they doing that's illegal?

Bizzum wrote: »
    What are they doing that's illegal?

Ok, breaking the rules......

Ok, breaking the rules......

Which rules?

Which rules?

club rules.

club rules.

Any particular 'club rule' or them all? Would you care to be more specific?

Any particular 'club rule' or them all? Would you care to be more specific?

As you said head down to collinstown and see for yourself...

As you said head down to collinstown and see for yourself...

OK Right. We started off with "a group of non nationals illegally fishing every weekend from the shore" (This non national thing amuses me. Are they aliens or something? surely they have a nationality?), then moved onto "breaking the rules", finally I get an invitation to head down myself?
    Maybe I should point out that I know Lene backwards and regularly "drop down".
    I see plenty of angling from boats and from the shore. The majority of which is fully legal and within association rules.
    I see lots of anglers including Eastern Europeans chaps, and young local lads doing plenty of 'Rainbow bashing' as it's being termed nowadays, from the shore. Again the majority within the law. More luck to them. There are only a product of what Lene has become with a short sighted stocking policy. (The only good thing about it is, it's become a great Pike fishery on the back of thousands of naive rainbow trout)
    What I have seen there in recent years is a snobbery from some of the general boating anglers towards the lads on the shore. There is no more an art in catching recently stocked trout from a boat than from the shore. I find it far less pretensious though.

It looks to me that you made some claims you're not able to back up?

-You need a permit/ membership to fish Lene.
    -I wouldn't regard Peter O Reillys book as the flagship for fisheries legislation.
    -The reason Lene is not on the SRFB permit anymore is that it is part of the Boyne catchment, formally ERFB now IFI Blackrock.
    -No I'm not a member.
    -You are the one that's misinformed.

This is simply incorrect. Just because you dont hear about it doesent make it true.
    Do you hear about it on any of the other Boyne clubs? For example can you fish, Longwood, Trim, Navan, Edenderry, White lake, Stoneyford, Boyne &Deel etc without fear of prosecution?
    I've heard your argument several times in the last 20 years and can state here and now that it holds no water, and that proceedings have been taken against anglers fishing without a permit in the Boyne RBD.

you mention that peter o reilly doesnt set out to give legal advice! im sure not. but he is the foremost angling authority in ireland and i presume he has his homework done.
    also i know members of the club who are retired from an garda siochana and they have told me that a permit is not needed.
    you are just wrong. i suggets you look into it.

OK Right. We started off with "a group of non nationals illegally fishing every weekend from the shore" (This non national thing amuses me. Are they aliens or something? surely they have a nationality?), then moved onto "breaking the rules", finally I get an invitation to head down myself?
    Maybe I should point out that I know Lene backwards and regularly "drop down".
    I see plenty of angling from boats and from the shore. The majority of which is fully legal and within association rules.
    I see lots of anglers including Eastern Europeans chaps, and young local lads doing plenty of 'Rainbow bashing' as it's being termed nowadays, from the shore. Again the majority within the law. More luck to them. There are only a product of what Lene has become with a short sighted stocking policy. (The only good thing about it is, it's become a great Pike fishery on the back of thousands of naive rainbow trout)
    What I have seen there in recent years is a snobbery from some of the general boating anglers towards the lads on the shore. There is no more an art in catching recently stocked trout from a boat than from the shore. I find it far less pretensious though.

It looks to me that you made some claims you're not able to back up?

i think what he means by non nationals are people who are not irish!!!!! not nationals of this country. mind you ET would have been a non national.

• Advertisement

you mention that peter o reilly doesnt set out to give legal advice! im sure not. but he is the foremost angling authority in ireland and i presume he has his homework done.
    also i know members of the club who are retired from an garda siochana and they have told me that a permit is not needed.
    you are just wrong. i suggets you look into it.

Like I said, I wouldn't regard Peter O Reilly (and an angling authority he is)or indeed many members of AGS as fully up to date on fishery legislation.

As a matter of interest, these retired members of AGS, how come they're members of the club yet advising that a membership is not required?

And further to this, who, do you know pays the fishery rates on Lene?

Advertisement