Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working/Moving Canada

Options
  • 20-01-2013 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

hi all,, need a quick bit of advice.. Ive made my mind up that a move to canada for work and possibly something permanent is my solution to my current rut that im stuck in.. Ive travelled to australia for a year back in 2005 and enjoyed working and partying but im 27 going on 28 now and work and life in ireland just seems to be not for me anymore.. i work in the security industry over here and i also hve qualifactions in gym instruction and welding and metal fabricaton..
    My question really is..what do i do to get the ball rolling on this move to Canada ?? When i went to Oz it all seemedvery easy,,visa,flights accom,,etc etc.. but am i right in thinking canada isa bit more complex ??
    How and who with do i get my working Visa sorted with ? Where is the best place to be looking for work ? and what cities are the onesto look out for and ones to avoid.?
    any hlp would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

colbully wrote: »
    hi all,, need a quick bit of advice.. Ive made my mind up that a move to canada for work and possibly something permanent is my solution to my current rut that im stuck in.. Ive travelled to australia for a year back in 2005 and enjoyed working and partying but im 27 going on 28 now and work and life in ireland just seems to be not for me anymore.. i work in the security industry over here and i also hve qualifactions in gym instruction and welding and metal fabricaton..
    My question really is..what do i do to get the ball rolling on this move to Canada ?? When i went to Oz it all seemedvery easy,,visa,flights accom,,etc etc.. but am i right in thinking canada isa bit more complex ??
    How and who with do i get my working Visa sorted with ? Where is the best place to be looking for work ? and what cities are the onesto look out for and ones to avoid.?
    any hlp would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

Visa:The IEC program which gives you a 2 year visa and it's being discussed in detail in many threads in this forum. It's not that complex and you have the option of using companies like UIST and Go4Less to do the paperwork and book flights if you don't want to do it yourself.

Work: All over!

Vancouver and surrounding area for outdoor recreational work such as ski resorts.

Alberta for labouring, engineering, skilled trades; it's where the oil and gas industry is. Lots of jobs, lot's of hours and potentially lots of money. I expect you'll more than earn every cent!

Toronto for office related work, IT, business etc.

That's all very general!

Places to avoid: Depends what you are looking to avoid! Vancouver if paying $1500 a month for a (downtown) bachelor pad scares you (I'm open to correction from those living there, but it's what I hear). Quebec if French scares you!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Hi,

I'm glad to see this new thread opened as I'd like to ask a few question's about the IEC myself. It's in reference to police checks, and what level of check do I need to get done.

I lived/worked in Australia from '04-'05 therefore I need to get police clearance. It says in the IEC guidelines that you need to get a 'name check' done, and in the Australian Gov website it has the option of 2 clearances, one Standard Police Check, and one with fingerprints - so am I right in thinking that the Standard one is sufficient?
    To make things more complicated and the reason I have been reluctant to post a solo thread, is that I actually went to Canada back in 2008 through USIT, and obtained the police check with the fingerprints, but looking back now I think I didn't need to get the fingerprint one, just the standard.
    It's for this reason I don't want to go and pay another 150dollars for a check that I don't need. The Standard check is under $50.

So any help here would be great. Also if there is any clarification on the IEC website can you direct me to it, as I can't seem to find any!

Rgds,

Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Just to quote from the Government of Canada website:

Which Australian police clearances are acceptable?

Applicants must provide a Standard Disclosure – name check. Certificates can be obtained through the Australian Federal Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hank Reed

Hi guys,

Can I ask for jobs in the Ski resorts? What positions are most common and where is best to apply?

Cheers.

Advertisement