Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Of Photograph

• 20-01-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a tattoo done, basically just copy the photograph i have, Pretty much just someones face, is there anywhere around Dublin that specializes in this or will any good artist be up for it.

Any info is great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Every good artist will be up for it. Of course, Remis has done killer portraits, but he's a bit more expensive and there's a bit of a wait. Denise in Snakebite has done good realism. I'm sure if you call into any of the usual respectable studios (Zulu, wildcat, Skin city) etc. You'll find someone you're happy with.

Outside of Dublin, Stephan Kennedy in Galway bay does killer portraits. Worth the day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If your looking for portrait work done my recommendations would be

Kris Barnas in Wildcat Ink
    Pawel in Skin City
    Joe Myler in J.M.D's Body Art

and

Remis Cizauskas who for me is the best imo but he has a long waiting list.

But check out all there portfolios and see which one feels right for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

While looking at peoples portfolio's don't be fooled by 'fresh' photo's. Ask to see healed photo's of the portraits. If they can't show healed photo's of the portraits that they have done then walk away !!!

On this one I can vouch for Remis had my first sitting with him about 4 months ago now and it still looks as good as the day it was done :).

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Does Remis charge by hour, sitting or what does anyone know & how much of waiting list has he these days? I would expect Its huge :) thanks!!!!

• Advertisement

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Does Remis charge by hour, sitting or what does anyone know & how much of waiting list has he these days? I would expect Its huge :) thanks!!!!

€150 per hour these days as far as I know.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »

As fewtinofroth said he charges 150 an hour and does have a long waiting list, im not 100% percent certain but it was in around a year before a i got to book a sitting with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Thanks lads, thats a little better then what i was expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

While looking at peoples portfolio's don't be fooled by 'fresh' photo's. Ask to see healed photo's of the portraits. If they can't show healed photo's of the portraits that they have done then walk away !!!

while healed pictures are more helpful, I think it is a little unfair to say that fresh photos are of no use in judging an artist's skill. while you can't see the final depth of tone, you can definitely see whether the artist has the mechanical reasoning to give the face weight and expression...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

They can be helpfull but if it was me looking for realism in a tattoo I know I'd want it realistic looking when it's healed. There's lots of tattooists doing great realism (when the tattoo is fresh) but it heals flat and the definition is no where near what it was when fresh. You gotta be carefull because those that do it properly are few and far between. That's why I think healed photo's are a must, after all the tattoo is going to be in it's healed phase for a far longer time than it's fresh phase.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 Feedy

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Looking to get a tattoo done, basically just copy the photograph i have, Pretty much just someones face, is there anywhere around Dublin that specializes in this or will any good artist be up for it.

Any info is great.
    Could you not just super glue the tattoo to yourself thereby saving money and also not need to join the ranks of the tattooed oddbods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Feedy wrote: »
    Could you not just super glue the tattoo to yourself thereby saving money and also not need to join the ranks of the tattooed oddbods

lololololol

Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

OP, Wait until Tim Hendricks does a guest spot in All-Star,Limerick. Google him then compare to the others names stated here. I'd love someone to post a 5 year old Remus tattoo and see how well it looks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Feedy wrote: »

One month ban. We don't tolerate trolling here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Well i had a look around and had a look at everyone's work and decided to go with Marcin in Zulu, lets just hope this tattoo will be as good as his other portraits :)

Some of his stuff is very impressive i must say.

OP, Wait until Tim Hendricks does a guest spot in All-Star,Limerick. Google him then compare to the others names stated here. I'd love someone to post a 5 year old Remus tattoo and see how well it looks now.

My own personal opinion of Tim Hendricks is he is over hyped there are much better artists, I think Remis work is a grade above Tim Hendricks, Ive read both sides of the argument on how Remis and people using his style and there work wont hold up and others stating it will hold up.

How the whites higlights will fade etc some saying after a few months even well mines been a few months and still looks as good as the day it was done, Chris Jones got into a debate on Facebook a few months ago with another artist and it made for some good reading, he had customers etc backing him up how there work had never faded. You have no proof of Remis work looking terrible a few years down the line so for now your claims are unfounded really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

My two portraits done by Remis are two years old now, and look as good as the day I got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

All tattoos fade with time, how much depends on the colors used, the application method and the aftercare.

Any reputable artist will certainly want to see the healed product, and will often want to touch up anything that has not healed as he would have liked. Thats when he will take a photo, but believe me when I say that the majority of clients will never come back, especially if the tattoo looks good, so artists have no choice but to show photographs of fresh tattoos!

All booked in now :D

He a busy guy so not happening till the 26th of Feb

said about 4-5 hours work

I want it but not looking forward to 5 hours worth of jabbing :(

Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end

All booked in now :D

He a busy guy so not happening till the 26th of Feb

said about 4-5 hours work

I want it but not looking forward to 5 hours worth of jabbing :(

Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end

Marcin yeah?

• Advertisement

Marcin yeah?

Yeah Marcin, thought his portrait stuff looked really good

Cool. Enjoy it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

My own personal opinion of Tim Hendricks is he is over hyped there are much better artists,

I don't think Hendricks portfolio exceeds that of a number of artists we have here in Ireland.

That's actually some pretty good advice that I never thought of before.

Just gonna get the tattooists name across my face now instead :p

Well just back, Gotta say i love it :)

Sore as **** though, i have 4 tattoos already but this one on my shoulder blade killed me.

Pics pics pics!

Pics pics pics!

haha its coverd up cause i bled really badly :(

when i get washed i'll throw one up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Well just back, Gotta say i love it :)

Sore as **** though, i have 4 tattoos already but this one on my shoulder blade killed me.

Where are your others? I found the shoulder blade fine! Shows the differences between people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Where are your others? I found the shoulder blade fine! Shows the differences between people!

Likewise, found the shoulderblade ok too actually. Weird.

Advertisement