Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest Ice Cream

Options
  • 20-01-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

My brother pointed out to me recently that most ice cream you buy is fake and made with vegetable fat.

What's the best ice cream you can buy, or would I be just as well to have a go making it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Murphys is lovely and Irish. It's expensive but I only get a scoop when I'm passing their shop which isn't very often

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Gbear wrote: »
    My brother pointed out to me recently that most ice cream you buy is fake and made with vegetable fat.

What's the best ice cream you can buy, or would I be just as well to have a go making it?

There is a place called Burkes Farm in Skryne Co Meath. They make the ice cream using the milk from their own herd of cattle. They do lots of flavours but my personal favorite is Toblerone Ice Cream.Its out of this world!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I had some Italian ice cream in a place just off the old town square in Prague that has blown out of the water any other I have tried, including in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Specifically I meant ice cream that I can get for myself. I live in Cork.

I'd be willing to go to great lengths to get decent ice cream but I'm not sure a trip to Prague is on the cards. :p

I figured there'd be at least some supermarkets that would stock proper ice cream but they all seem the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Murphys is lovely and Irish. It's expensive but I only get a scoop when I'm passing their shop which isn't very often
    Murphy's brown bread flavour is particularly ...... stunning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Colpi ice cream is still my favourite (I'm in Scotland). As far as I understand, it's just milk, sugar and cornflour, but it's lovely and simple. Not much use to you in Ireland though, sorry!

Gordon wrote: »
    Colpi ice cream is still my favourite (I'm in Scotland). As far as I understand, it's just milk, sugar and cornflour, but it's lovely and simple. Not much use to you in Ireland though, sorry!
    I think we may have access to most of those ingredients....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

the nicest ice cream i've ever tasted is one i made from a darina allen recipe. it's in her ''forgotten skills of cooking'' book. fab by itself [it's a vanilla recipe] but i've also added all sorts to it - crushed berries, mashed bananas, toasted nuts, crumbled brown bread and a dash of baileys... yer limit is yer imagination really. i don't make it very often as it's probably high in calories but i'd forefit that for not eating whatever gunk is in shop bought stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Murphys is expensive because they don't use some of the cheaper crap used in the cheaper brands. They have a few shops but also sell to other retailers.
    http://www.murphysicecream.ie/Murphys_Ice_Cream_Stockists.html
    Cork stockists:

Ballinlough: JJ O'Driscolls

Bishopstown Road: Nelly’s Pantry

St. Luke's Cross: O'Keefe's

Bandon: Urru Culinary Store

Gouganebarra: Gouganebarra Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

After I posted I realised that a scoop of Murphy's probably doesn't cost much more than a magnum and is so much better. A tub might not cost much more than haagen daz or b&j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

endacl wrote: »
    I think we may have access to most of those ingredients....
    Indeed I would hope so.. Was just addressing the "buy" part of the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Can't remember the name of it but there's a small Italian place in around the town of Sligo. Never had anything like that before or since.

If you happen to be in Italy in the future OP, this crowd will ruin all other icecreams for you, and for a substantial period of time thereafter...

http://www.grom.it/ita/

But worth it.

Advertisement