Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aritech CS350 Needs Some Work

Options
  • 20-01-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

Excellent forum, and I have browsed through looking for some help, but have a slightly different conundrum than others have had. Although I have learned that this is a hugely common alarm.

I bought a house, thinking that it came with a working alarm. In fact, the alarm can't be turned on. The reason is that the previous owners built an extension, and where there was once a window, there is now no window, and just a pair of alarm contacts dangling from the ceiling. Unsurprisingly, the control panel is refusing to set citing a tamper alarm for this point.

Also, I'm getting the low battery warning.

The company who originally installed it is proving useless at returning calls.

I would like to extend the alarm to over the door and windows of the extension. How much should I expect to pay for this, a service and a battery replacement? Rough, cost, obv, as you haven't seen the extension. :)

Also, if I were to replace the brains of the alarm with a more modern one which could text/call me and allow me to call into set/reset/disarm the alarm and/or listen in, how much might this cost? I don't have a real land line, I have VOIP, if this matters.

In a previous life, and another address, I installed one of those DIY Yale wireless jobbies, and would be happy to install something similar again, but would need to safely decommission the existing CS350. In the event that the quote for the service/upgrade was too expensive, how much might it cost to disable and remove the current one?

Any hints/suggestions/tips much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your cheapest option would be to go for the upgrade first & the extension.
    Get a few quotes on the upgrade & you would probably get the extension included at no extra cost.
    Panel wise either Siemens or HKC Securewave would be your best bet.
    Any voice dialler will work with VOIP service that works off an analogue phone line like UPC etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Stay away from Yale alarms or any of the DIY alarms sold in B&Q or the likes
    Pure dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JustSomeone

KoolKid wrote: »
    Your cheapest option would be to go for the upgrade first & the extension.
    Get a few quotes on the upgrade & you would probably get the extension included at no extra cost.

Thanks for that, I'm ringing around now. Nothing being thrown in so far.
    Panel wise either Siemens or HKC Securewave would be your best bet.

Deadly, I'll see what they come up with.
    Any voice dialler will work with VOIP service that works off an analogue phone line like UPC etc.

Cool, I had heard that various auto dial things didn't wouldn't work over VOIP, though it was never explained why.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JustSomeone

Stay away from Yale alarms or any of the DIY alarms sold in B&Q or the likes
    Pure dirt

Why do you say that? The Yale I had seemed great, fully featured and worked a treat on the few test walkthroughs I did.

Is the issue that they are easy to disable / interfere with or something?

Advertisement