Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can laptops interfere with each other?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge. My husband and I both use our laptops in the kitchen in the evenings. Sometimes when they are close together (within 3 feet) we both lose our wifi connection. Is this normal and is there anything we can do about it? Either laptop on its own seems to work fine. The modem is in the office about 10 yards away. Can laptops interfere with each other's signal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

It shouldn't happen, but it does. not a lot you can do about it

However - check if laptops have bluetooth turned on-if so turn them off and try again. i have seen issues where bluetooth connections cause something like this.

Can you run a network cable to the kitchen for one computer?
    Also possibility is 2 channels setup in router.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Berlin_100642

Thank you. I'll now try to find out how to turn off bluetooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

whizbang wrote: »
    It shouldn't happen, but it does. not a lot you can do about it

However - check if laptops have bluetooth turned on-if so turn them off and try again. i have seen issues where bluetooth connections cause something like this.

Can you run a network cable to the kitchen for one computer?
    Also possibility is 2 channels setup in router.

Or another slight possibility, one laptop connects to a non secured network a few doors down on the same channel as your own one.

The open network is far enough away to not interfere much, but when a laptop connects to it from the user selecting that network, it then interferes with the one in the house.

Advertisement