Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social work or speech and language??

Options
  • 20-01-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

i am just looking for advise even a but of insight from who knows anything about either profession.
    I an honours degree in social care but i would like to do further studies in the form of a masters. I have always thought about social work but now i thinking speech and language therapy might be for me.
    any advice is welcome on job prospects or where study.

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 selati

Hi,

I am a social worker, qualified 12 years. I work in child and adolescent mental health. Both jobs are very very different, your personality has to be suited to social work as it can be very demanding, yet rewarding. The 2 year Masters are in UCD, UCC and UCG, also Trinity have the 4 year course. You may need one more year on top of your degree to get into the 2 year Masters, I'd try and chat to both professions in person to get an idea. I've worked in child protection, disability and child and adolescent mental health, all very different. Best of luck with your decision :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 l.tobin88

Thank you Selati,

I really appreciate your reply. I have always wanted to persue a career as a Social Worker. I am currently trying to set up a meeting with a Social Worker in a hospital so I may get an insight. Could I ask you one more question sorry now. In your opinion what areas coudl I work or volunteer in order to gain valuable experience to help get into the Masters. I also only got a 2.2 result in my degree so I am not sure If i will be able to get into the Masters therefore I want to do all I can to try.

Thank you.

Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 2 selati

Hi Laura,

Any experience in social care is good, whether residential child care work, project worker, also area's of homelessness, disability are always positive. Any work involving groups or communities are also well thought of. I had to work for 2 years before I got a place on the Masters, but I'm not sure what it's like now. There are so many different area's in social work, medical, disability, child protection, probation, mental health to name a few, so best of luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 l.tobin88

Ok I understand. I think I need a few years experience first. Thank you again

Advertisement