Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon & 5 mile & Junior July 13th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

eoin ryan wrote: »
    FYI - Race is sold out

Would you mind arranging to have scantly clad female models with water hoses and ice buckets at each mile marker?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Would you mind arranging to have scantly clad female models with water hoses and ice buckets....
    Are they not the pacers this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Are they not the pacers this year :)

:( Oh i'm a bit worried now about this new pacing remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »
    Would you mind arranging to have scantly clad female models with water hoses and ice buckets at each km marker?

Thanks in advance

FYP. Metric rules. :D

If this comes true for Saturday, I'll be quite happy - 16 and cloudy with little breeze.

http://m.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Clontarf/long.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

25 slots for either half marathon or 5 mile will be available at Reg on Thur at 5pm. First come - first served. I won't pre-hold any so please don't ask. I undercounted the number of entries. That is how they became available... Woops!

Also we will have an extra aid station at km 17. We got permission in light of weather. Better to be safe than sorry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

What is the max you can hold on the course for the half?
    Great course if the wind stays down.Think it's abit silly having entries on the day if you travel up only to be told they are gone.Why not leave them open on your website?

Also we will have an extra aid station at km 17. We got permission in light of weather. Better to be safe than sorry....

Good work Eoin.

What extra measures, if any, do you expect will be needed to keep the route across the beach free for participants? With the current run of good weather I'd expect the beach to be mobbed and would have some concern about people crossing runners on their way to and from the water.

What is the max you can hold on the course for the half?
    Great course if the wind stays down.Think it's abit silly having entries on the day if you travel up only to be told they are gone.Why not leave them open on your website?

We are not taking entries on the day. We are taking them on Thur at Reg.
    We were never taking entries on the day

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Good work Eoin.

What extra measures, if any, do you expect will be needed to keep the route across the beach free for participants? With the current run of good weather I'd expect the beach to be mobbed and would have some concern about people crossing runners on their way to and from the water.

I was out there tonight and went for a run around 7 and it was mobbed with kids, cyclists, dogs etc all mingling. I'm guessing it would be impossible to keep the whole route free of people wandering across runners on a Saturday morning in a heatwave besides a beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Yesterday morning as I cycled past the race start area a rather helpful chap was sweeping up all the annoying gravel that was spilled by the council onto the cycle track around a year ago. I figured this tidy-up must have something to do with Saturday's race. If it does, thanks for making my commute a little easier! If not, thanks to whoever took it upon themselves to clear up the mess!

chinguetti wrote: »
    I was out there tonight and went for a run around 7 and it was mobbed with kids, cyclists, dogs etc all mingling. I'm guessing it would be impossible to keep the whole route free of people wandering across runners on a Saturday morning in a heatwave besides a beach.

That's one for the race briefing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

eoinín wrote: »
    Yesterday morning as I cycled past the race start area a rather helpful chap was sweeping up all the annoying gravel that was spilled by the council onto the cycle track around a year ago. I figured this tidy-up must have something to do with Saturday's race. If it does, thanks for making my commute a little easier! If not, thanks to whoever took it upon themselves to clear up the mess!

That would've been Dilbert out with his sweeping brush. He doesn't want anything interfering with the pacing.

Yeah that was me - I hope you appreciate me driving 2 hours each way in that heat to clean up gravel I didn't know was there... and still got my day's work and a session done at home... kudos to me, eh?

Our lead cyclist has injured himself.
    Would anyone be interesed in doing lead cyclist?
    (it gives you an interesting view of a race). I've done it b4
    PM if interested
    Thanks

Our lead cyclist has injured himself.
    Would anyone be interesed in doing lead cyclist?
    (it gives you an interesting view of a race). I've done it b4
    PM if interested
    Thanks

Mountain bike needed tho
    A good road bike - maybe not....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Yeah that was me - I hope you appreciate me driving 2 hours each way in that heat to clean up gravel I didn't know was there...

I honestly do! It's been a nuisance cycling around it for the last few months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

eoinín wrote: »
    I honestly do! It's been a nuisance cycling around it for the last few months!

DIlbert is one in a million. For another race last year, he filled in 5 pot holes before the race in case anyone would get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Just wondering if by any chance there was anyone here heading out to Liffey Valley this evening to pick up a race pack who might be able to pick up two more for me? I know they're available for pick up in the morning but I'll be tight for time to get there before 9.15am and I'd imagine it could be very busy in the morning...

Not to worry if not, just thought I'd throw it out there to see if someone fancied doing a very good deed (to be rewarded with eternal gratitude!)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Yes Patsy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

PM sent with details, really appreciate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Got my t-shirt and race number this evening. Easy to find the place, was in and out in two minutes, including changing from M to L :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good luck to all tmw! Make sure and jump in the sea afterwards

Jebus that was tough, v tough. Ended up pacing 1.45 on my own and between my right calf misbehaving at 7k (and for the rest of the day which has ruined my day trip to Thurles:mad:) and my garmin going mental as 12k, i think i got some people in under 1.45.

Found the heat cruel and the soft sand bits dire. Anyone who finished that today under or near your goal time well done but i would honestly say that anyone that finished that today did very well.

Great crowd at it and seemed to go well from what i saw so well done to all behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

The heat... oh the heat. I was 10 minutes slower than last year, even though I'm fitter than I was 12 months ago. Really nice crowd cheering everyone on at the end. I've never enjoyed a donut quite as much as the free one I got at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Eoin, when will the kid's results be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

Hot! Hot! Hot! Brilliantly organised, but found the heat very tough. The soft sand coming off the beach on the way back finished my legs, and the last few km were a battle of survival!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Enjoyed it but it was tough going. An early sea breeze provided a false sense of security before being replaced by dead heat. Well organised and well done to all that stuck at it. What doesn't kill you ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

I'm smiling now after drinking several pints of water post race, but that was tough, the heat and that sand. Way slower than I ideally would have liked but it was an achievement to finish the race in one piece. If we can manage that, roll on the DCM half!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

21C with 1mph breeze according to my garmin. I think the wind was a little stronger. An interesting race as the heat made for disciplined running during the first half. Can't complain about the organisation - fair enough about the shortage of loos due to national demand. The turn onto the cycle path at James Larkin road was a bit tight. Even though it's an out and back the sand gives it enough variety. Overall, no shortage of water or enthusiasm and would happily enter it again.

Advertisement