Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon & 5 mile & Junior July 13th

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Background
    This was my first half marathon, the longest I'd raced previously being 10k on about 5 occasions having got into running again about a year ago. I'd trained hard enough for this, having run close to or over the distance several times in the last few weeks. Having got through Thursday's GAA match without any knocks or bruises, I felt ready to go, but worried about the extreme heat.

The start/finish area was a hive of activity, lack of toilets couldn't really be helped with the weekend that was in it.

My times in training suggested I'd hit anything between 1:45 and 2:00 on a normal day, but conditions weren't normal, and this was the first time I'd any company while running such a long distance.

Outbound
    I decided to try run fairly conservatively on the way out, then see if I was able to step it up on the way back. The 1:45 pacer (who I now know to be chinguetti) and his balloon were a big help. Once I had the balloon in sight, I reckoned I'd be in for a better than expected finishing time. Keeping my breathing and running rhythm steady, I managed to pass a few runners along the route, and meeting the GF with water in hand was a major plus as we exited Bull Island. I also carried a bottle which I sipped throughout to try and stay hydrated. Conditions were very testing in the heat, but I managed to stay in reasonable shape, and reached the turn (nearer Sutton than Kilbarrack btw!) in about 53 minutes.

Inbound
    Having got to half way quicker than expected, I decided to push on a little bit going back towards Raheny, and in doing so passed a lot more than passed me. Coming back onto the beach, I collected a guy who worked with me through this section and across the wooden bridge. We both were in good shape to break 1:50 as we turned back onto the promenade on the run for home. He fell away however, and with the GF there to give me more encouragement with just over two miles to go, I felt in brilliant shape.

And then....BOOM! with about a mile and a half to go, the heat and distance got to me and my legs just went. Lots of people were walking in now, but I was determined to keep running no matter what. The last K seemed to take forever, as I was trotting along now just to make sure I got to the end, and the finish didn't seem to be getting close enough fast enough! In spite of all the encouragement from spectators, I couldn't pick it up coming to the line, and finally crossed with a chip time of 1:47:59. Absolutely chuffed with that, even though typing this over seven hours later my legs still feel banjoed...it won't be the last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Provisional results are up: http://www.redtagtiming.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Provisional results are up: http://www.redtagtiming.com/

My result doesn't appear and there were only 1100 or so finishers in the half according to the results. Sent the e-mail in querying.

Otherwise well organised race and good value. I did Achill last week and I'm still giving out about how badly organised it was and the bad value it represented. That wasn't the case today as everything went smoothly -with the exception of my result being lost in the system but these things happen from time to time.

I was two minutes slower today than last weeks hills and would have expected to be about seven minutes faster on this course but the heat and fatigue of two halfs in a week didn't help.

Great day, good buzz and great support along the route. No issues on the beach which is great, it was the only reservation I had in advance given the fine weather and congested beaches but people respected the race taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

Lostnfound wrote: »
    My result doesn't appear and there were only 1100 or so finishers in the half according to the results. Sent the e-mail in querying.

Otherwise well organised race and good value. I did Achill last week and I'm still giving out about how badly organised it was and the bad value it represented. That wasn't the case today as everything went smoothly -with the exception of my result being lost in the system but these things happen from time to time.

I was two minutes slower today than last weeks hills and would have expected to be about seven minutes faster on this course but the heat and fatigue of two halfs in a week didn't help.

Great day, good buzz and great support along the route. No issues on the beach which is great, it was the only reservation I had in advance given the fine weather and congested beaches but people respected the race taking place.

Yeah, I was surprised to see only 1132 finishers as I was under the impression that there was a field of 2000. Unlikiely up to 900 dropped out?

Yeah, I was surprised to see only 1132 finishers as I was under the impression that there was a field of 2000. Unlikiely up to 900 dropped out?

Think there were about 1400 registered for the half. Wouldn't be unusual to have a good proportion (maybe 10-15%?) not turn up for various reasons. Then some DNF's would be expected, especially on a day like today. It all adds up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Thanks. I appear in the photos at the finish so I'm glad those thoughts of doing a half earlier weren't a mirage in the desert heat :).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

Thanks - found a photo of me at 16km. I don't look great - perfect motivation that I need to really start getting serious on the training for the Dublin marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

My first half yesterday, really enjoyed it, thought it was excellently organised with plenty of refreshments afterwards

The soft sand was tough, same with the weather but finished it in 1:44 so happy with that, the legs are feeling it today mind :-)

Roll on the next half,

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Any notions of ever doing the Comrades are gone after that. The last 7km were friggin tough in that heat. The last 4km were pure survival. Dont stop. Keep moving. All ideas of time and placings were out the window. All worth it for the high five I got from my young fella just b4 the line, which was caught in the facebook pics.

Did the Ring of Kerry last week but this was much much tougher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Waking up to stiff buttocks and fond memories of yesterday's race :D

It was very well organised from start to finish and hats off to the sponsors for laying on the goodies at the end.

As this was my first HM, I'm not too sure when to go back out running...I'm targeting the DCM in October so need to crack on with training for that. Any advice would be welcome.

Waking up to stiff buttocks and fond memories of yesterday's race :D

It was very well organised from start to finish and hats off to the sponsors for laying on the goodies at the end.

As this was my first HM, I'm not too sure when to go back out running...I'm targeting the DCM in October so need to crack on with training for that. Any advice would be welcome.

Firstly, if you're not already aware of it, have a look at http://www.boards.ie/thread/2056913937/1

Beyond that try:
    - Short, gentle recovery run in the next day or two
    - Foam roll the legs a bit extra over the next couple of days
    - Depending on how you feel a sports massage might be in order

Get back towards your marathon plan by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Eoin - great organization... really well done. Loved the staggered starts - that was a great idea. Not really a day for PB's, but it was excellently organised. Well done to the pacers, the stewards, the gardai, and the water stations... really terrific race.

Next year though - you need to fix the weather ;)

Muppet Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Any notions of ever doing the Comrades are gone after that. The last 7km were friggin tough in that heat. The last 4km were pure survival.

Don't give up on Comrades just yet.... :) But your point is well made.

I have never organised a race where liquids was the No 1 priority beyond anything. It was ALL about liquids.
    I ended up taking about 1,700 extra bottles home. Never happened before - but wanted to make sure we were covered.

People were finding it tough - no doubt about it. It was an achievement to get around and congrats to those who did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Don't give up on Comrades just yet.... :) But your point is well made.

I have never organised a race where liquids was the No 1 priority beyond anything. It was ALL about liquids.
    I ended up taking about 1,700 extra bottles home. Never happened before - but wanted to make sure we were covered.

People were finding it tough - no doubt about it. It was an achievement to get around and congrats to those who did :D

It was hellish yesterday! Conditions were so tough!! I was surprised that there was non compacted sand on the route. I read it was all compacted. Which made it really tough! I finished just barely with help from a fantastic girl who got me over the finish line. I was 30 mins longer than my expected time though :-( I don't think it was the ideal first half marathon experience for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Thanks Eoin and all involved for a great day, super organisation as always (and the extra water was definitely much needed and much appreciated!). Big thanks also to wolf who collected my race pack for me and delivered it the night before, a real gentleman!

Found it very tough, was going well up to the half way mark but died a death on that straight section back to the beach, the heat just got to me and I had to take quite a few walking breaks on my way back which is a first... Audrey, i also finished a half hour outside my expected time, glad to hear I'm in good company! Signed up for the rock n roll half in August, so hoping to redeem myself then, but for the moment I'm pleased enough that I finished, it was touch and go as to whether I'd just drop out (tbh only the fact that the car was back at the start line kept me going!)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Thanks Eoin and all involved for a great day, super organisation as always (and the extra water was definitely much needed and much appreciated!). Big thanks also to wolf who collected my race pack for me and delivered it the night before, a real gentleman!

Found it very tough, was going well up to the half way mark but died a death on that straight section back to the beach, the heat just got to me and I had to take quite a few walking breaks on my way back which is a first... Audrey, i also finished a half hour outside my expected time, glad to hear I'm in good company! Signed up for the rock n roll half in August, so hoping to redeem myself then, but for the moment I'm pleased enough that I finished, it was touch and go as to whether I'd just drop out (tbh only the fact that the car was back at the start line kept me going!)

Good to know that I wasn't the only one who needed to walk parts of it! I might need to do the dublin half in September. I'm on holidays just before the rock and roll and after a week of drinking and over eating doing another half might not be the best plan :-)

Well organised event but was very disappointed in how I did, think I need to try another one to make sure I can run a full half!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Well done Patsy for not quitting. And it was nice meeting you and was a pleasure to help out a follow runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I did this yesterday: my second half. I intended to it last year, as the route really appealed to me, but an injury threw training off course. So I was thrilled to do it this year. My God, but the heat was challenging. I think if you can run in that, it shows a serious commitment to running. I spent most of the run longing for a nice gentle breeze!
    Really well organised and a great experience. Planning my next one already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

A combination of the heat and a stomach bug made this a very difficult day for me. I targeted 1:25 which would have been a slight PB, and finished in 1:46.
    It might have only been 21 degrees in the shade, but the heat reflecting off the sand was overpowering. I should have dropped out early on when it was clear I could not cope with the conditions and was feeling light headed
    Once I slowed down, I felt a bit better, and managed to complete the course but it was a meaningless triumph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Reassuring to know I wasn't the only one who blew-up spectacularly on Saturday. Aiming for a time of 1:28ish, after 4 miles I knew there was no way I'd be maintaining that pace. It was a strange feeling - breathing was okay, legs were grand, but the energy was zapped by the heat.

By halfway I decided I wouldn't race and treat it like a run. A horrible, torturous run! I would have gladly walked off at amy point, only I had to get back to the car.

Proud to have even finished, even if it was 8 minutes slower than I hoped. :(
    A lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

chinguetti wrote: »
    Jebus that was tough, v tough. Ended up pacing 1.45 on my own and between my right calf misbehaving at 7k (and for the rest of the day which has ruined my day trip to Thurles:mad:) and my garmin going mental as 12k, i think i got some people in under 1.45.

Found the heat cruel and the soft sand bits dire. Anyone who finished that today under or near your goal time well done but i would honestly say that anyone that finished that today did very well.

Great crowd at it and seemed to go well from what i saw so well done to all behind the scenes.

Thanks for the balloon afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

roro2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the balloon afterwards!

Ah that was yourself! Sorry, i didn't know you were on here. Well done on the time in that weather, great day's work. Hope the balloon brought more fun to ye that I had with it:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Bit of a boards newbie here but just wanted to throw in my two cents worth. Really enjoyed the day and thought it was well organised. Registration on the morning was hassle free and was great to have so much water around the course and having it in bottles was a big plus given the heat. Did the 5 mile of this last year and it pushed me on to do the Dublin half marathon (my first) in September so was really looking forward to doing the HM of it this year.

Was hoping for a time of 2:10 when I was doing my training but with the heat I started off slower than I had been planning just in case. Kept my pace fairly consistent throughout and came in eventually at 2:19 which I was happy with. Doing the Dublin HM again this year so will hopefully push on in that.

Thanks again, and it's been interesting reading about everyone elses experiences of it!

Advertisement