Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It depends on what colours they come in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Grayditch wrote: »
    What was the innovation that gamers got taken away?

I was wondering the same thing. How you start a game up might have changed a bit (pick it from a list on a screen instead of off a shelf) but when it comes down to it, the actual functionality of the console and the games have been completely unchanged.

Also, "innovations" can look like "gimmicks" depending on your perspective. I'm sure the people who wanted to make it so you would use a tablet at the same time as playing games thought that they were being innovative, even if it just looks like a useless gimmick that takes away from the core game to most of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I was solely a PS4 fan up until about 2 weeks ago but then ended up preordering a One. At the end if the day it's the games that matter most to me. Dead Rising 3, Forza, Titanfall look amazing. Equally, Killzone and Knack look brilliant too. If I can, I'm going to get both. No point losing out on some epic games over the next few years due to fanboyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

C14N wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. How you start a game up might have changed a bit (pick it from a list on a screen instead of off a shelf) but when it comes down to it, the actual functionality of the console and the games have been completely unchanged.

Also, "innovations" can look like "gimmicks" depending on your perspective. I'm sure the people who wanted to make it so you would use a tablet at the same time as playing games thought that they were being innovative, even if it just looks like a useless gimmick that takes away from the core game to most of us.
    Check out videos about Battlefield 4 using a tablet, nothing useless about it. I can glance at a full level map when viewing it without the map obscuring my main screen. I can use commander mode and launch major attacks. I can click on each player marker to see what the player is seeing. The tablet is connected directly to the servers so I don't need to turn on my console to use these features.

Sound innovative enough for you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Ah sure Microsoft has you covered you can connect the PS4 to the HDMI-In on the Xbox One ;)

LOL!.....you can expect some fanboy to do it also :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads, an honest question for those of you that have, like myself, preordered both consoles.

Since both companies have reacted to the other machines and strategies, I feel we are getting two very similar consoles. At least the PS3 had a blu-ray player (which was a huge advantage at the time).

I can see myself getting both but just selling on the one that I'm using less.

Very little difference between the two now. At the start of last gen there was a difference worth talking about this time it's just the exclusive games.

For me the ps4 edges it with price and the move controller. Xbox I will get I just don't know when.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As it stands you have very little between them now at the moment, but with the architecture in the PS4 being so similar to that of the PC and allowing Sony to update the hardware and drivers using patches, in the long term it is possible PS4 will pull away from Microsoft in terms of performance and graphics, especially if they have made a deal with AMD, which we will not find out till November.

Would the Kinnect be worth getting with the Xbox One? I know it comes included in the price, but that's about the only real difference I can see between the two, with the PS4 being only marginally more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Would the Kinnect be worth getting with the Xbox One? I know it comes included in the price, but that's about the only real difference I can see between the two, with the PS4 being only marginally more powerful.

Not really from a games standpoint, Kinect Sports has been delayed till spring next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

We can't really say till we see how good kinect is incorporated in to games. We know Dead Rising 3 is a for instance in a game that will be supported by kinect. Will it justify the kinect? How would we know now? Personally, the exclusive I want to see more on is D4. That'll use kinect, but again, no way of guessing how good it will be or if its something that'll be ignored. It's basically an open question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Xenji wrote: »
    As it stands you have very little between them now at the moment, but with the architecture in the PS4 being so similar to that of the PC and allowing Sony to update the hardware and drivers using patches, in the long term it is possible PS4 will pull away from Microsoft in terms of performance and graphics, especially if they have made a deal with AMD, which we will not find out till November.
    This doesn't really make any sense. The architecture of both platforms is closer to the PC this gen, at least compared to previous generations, the minor changes MS have made to their APU don't really affect this in the way you're suggesting. The ability to tweak the firmware is also something both vendors posses, Sony have no advantage here in the above context. Their primary (and most significant) advantage will continue to come from their stronger GPU and faster RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's down to the individual. Do you like games with motion controls? Personally, I can't stand them. But some people love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was all for the PS4 but I've cooled my interest significantly, so much so I havn't pre -orered. I'm going to wait a few months and see.

I bought a PS3 recently which has been turned on once. I have an Xbox 360 that I sold twice before buying a third, again little use. I'm reading today about some **** with next gen consoles not able to be 1080 and 60FPs, that is pretty meh tbh.

Might be the first generation I skip entirely. It would appear most games I'm interested in get onto the PC eventually, so I might just beef up my rig rather then spunk out on a console that I'll barely use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

TheDoc wrote: »
    rather then spunk out on a console that I'll barely use

There's a phrase I never want to read again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Think I, too, am gonna hold off buying either on release. Will probably wait until after Christmas and see what good games come out.

Hopefully GTAV will keep me occupied on current gen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

ION08 wrote: »
    .... So what's the question??

Lol, what was I on yesterday!

My question was whether people were now deciding against buying BOTH machines due to the similarities between them since both companies changed their strategies. PS4 dropping camera, One dropping DM, Kinect requirement etc.

I'm back in favour of having the One as my favoured machine simply because I love the Xbox controller and LS position. If I were to buy a PS4, I'm not sure what I'd do with it that would be different to the One :confused:

It's a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My question was whether people were now deciding against buying BOTH machines due to the similarities between them since both companies changed their strategies. PS4 dropping camera, One dropping DM, Kinect requirement etc.

I'm back in favour of having the One as my favoured machine simply because I love the Xbox controller and LS position. If I were to buy a PS4, I'm not sure what I'd do with it that would be different to the One :confused:

It's a lot of money.

I was always buying the PS4 but wanted the Xbox One too as it was so different. Now I will get the PS4 and if I have the money in 6 months get a One. Not too pushed anymore there is just not that much of a difference to justify forking out a grand in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

It's a lot of money.

The games will be different. The PS3 proved that it can do more than just FPS and they have the most and best games studios. I'm only getting one console, but even judging by how this gen ended, the PS4 is the way to go for the games, imo.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I was all for the PS4 but I've cooled my interest significantly, so much so I havn't pre -orered. I'm going to wait a few months and see.

I bought a PS3 recently which has been turned on once. I have an Xbox 360 that I sold twice before buying a third, again little use. I'm reading today about some **** with next gen consoles not able to be 1080 and 60FPs, that is pretty meh tbh.

Might be the first generation I skip entirely. It would appear most games I'm interested in get onto the PC eventually, so I might just beef up my rig rather then spunk out on a console that I'll barely use

Why did you bother buying one if thats the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

It's a lot of money.

Exactly the same situation as myself!

I was gonna get both consoles, but then I decided they were too similar and 99% percent of the very few games I do play are cross-gen.

I then decided to go only for the Xbox ONE, as I have no complaints with my current 360 and like yourself, find the controller and LS position thousand times better than that of the flimsy and awkward PS3 controller.

I then switched my order from Xbox ONE to PS4, as literally everyone I spoke to was getting the PS4 and had dicounted the ONE (I didn't want to end up with a Dreamcast like console)

Having switched to the PS4, the controller has been my biggest concern - but I've been constantly reassured that its a huge improvement over that of the PS3.

...We'll see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Really I'd try the DS4 before basing your entire decision based around that. Nothing but good things have been said about it, lots of people preferring it over the X1 controller.

I already own a PC and only ever play on that, so the only reason I plan on getting a PS4 is because Sony showed us with the PS3 that they can provide a huge amount of stellar exclusives which MS were heavily lacking in this generation. Nothing but FPS games on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cagalitos

Easy choice.

You will be able to buy pre owned games on PS4.

PS4 will be cheaper.

The Sony-only games are much better.

PS4 is offering a much better product at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

cagalitos wrote: »
    Easy choice.

PS4 will be cheaper.

I agree on most of your points but the XBone will also allow you to buy pre-owned disk-based games. You should google "Xbox 180" if you were not aware of this - fun times ahead of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Easy choice.

PS4 will be cheaper.

I wonder how many people are in the same boat as you not knowing about the Xbox 180.

Penn wrote: »
    I'm happy to admit I'm more of a PS fanboy so I'd be going for the PS4. I like the 360 but overall, I just prefer the PS3. So when it comes to the next gen, as most of my gaming is PS3-centered, I'd stick with it.

Ha! This is one of those tricks they use.

If you see the statement from MS, they say they will allow it (same thing that Sony said), but at the same time they will not oppose if third parties want to include DMR (EA is quite known for this kind of stuff).

Historically you can see that Xbox third party producers are not very kind on resharing games, however PS4 are.

Nonetheless, we will have to see how this all works out in the end.

Cheers!

I wonder how many people are in the same boat as you not knowing about the Xbox 180.

I was aware of this (IGN is one of my daily reads), but I do not trust these messages from MS.

I am sorry, but I am quite MS sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ha! This is one of those tricks they use.

If you see the statement from MS, they say they will allow it (same thing that Sony said), but at the same time they will not oppose if third parties want to include DMR (EA is quite known for this kind of stuff).

Historically you can see that Xbox third party producers are not very kind on resharing games, however PS4 are.

Nonetheless, we will have to see how this all works out in the end.

Cheers!
    Actually it was Sony who said it was up to the publishers whether they wanted to implement DRM on specific titles.

XBox third party publishers are, in the majority of cases, the same as Sonys.

This is why people shouldn't read IGN. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663537

The X1 passed the FCC months ago....before the PS4 accoring to this link above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663537

The X1 passed the FCC months ago....before the PS4 accoring to this link above.

well thats good news, not because it was before sony, that dont matter
    mainly because people were worried that they havnt put it through the FCC so their could be a big delay world wide :pac: now all i need is a release date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I've preorderd both but now I'm thinking I should cancel one, and get a Wii U instead. Wise decision? Which one to cancel......

Advertisement