Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I've preorderd both but now I'm thinking I should cancel one, and get a Wii U instead. Wise decision? Which one to cancel......

The Wii U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

It's that trailer for Zelda that's got me in a pickle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I've preorderd both but now I'm thinking I should cancel one, and get a Wii U instead. Wise decision? Which one to cancel......

I'm really really tempted to get a wiiU now too. Price drop coming late september too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Could one get all 3? One would not be able to tell his girlfriend. One would have to keep it a secret.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement

Could one get all 3? One would not be able to tell his girlfriend. One would have to keep it a secret.

downton fan one presumes :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hard to read anything into that, whether positive or negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Grayditch wrote: »
    The Wii U.

You don't need a Wii - U the console is good and a massive jump from the terrible Wii but it is still just out at what is the end of the cycle. If you want Nintendo game then get one otherwise it is worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭thegame983

Well I would say that you definitly don't need both right away. The launch line up just arn't that great TBH and any good games are 3rd party so will be on both playforms. being completly neutral I would say PS4 as it's cheaper and seems to the less morally bankrupt of the two companies (not that I really care about that- I'm no saint).

But if you're a Fifa player (like me) the price difference is more or less wiped out by the free copy of Fifa you get. Also I might be swayed by the XBOX because I'm more used to the controller (which in fairness is a big deal when playing competitivly online).

Personally I'm gonna wait untill this time next year and evaluate the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just looked at point 2.
    The Xbox One's performance shortfall will be irrelevant
    So, the fact that it will be around the same makes it better. Fantastic article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭thegame983

Well Titanfall isn't out untill next year so it's not a launch tital...so I don't think you can really take the rest of the artical that seriously. Nobody really wants the kinect forced upon them but microsoft. at least sony give people that choice

I have no opinion one way or the other. In fairness I'd say both consoles will be more or less the same. Yes xbox has titanfall, but over all sony will have much more exlusives (like this current gen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Haven't read more fanboish Shiete then this in a long long time. Even the negatives of Xbox one are turned to be positives...
    And I am not saying that Xbox one is bad, MS did some great changes and won my interest back, but this article is just shiet. Someone even got payed for that, which is brain boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Haven't read more fanboish Shiete then this in a long long time. Even the negatives of Xbox one are turned to be positives...
    And I am not saying that Xbox one is bad, MS did some great changes and won my interest back, but this article is just shiet. Someone even got payed for that, which is brain boggling.
    LMAO at the article comments, Sony fanboys losing their minds with this guy, he really knows how to stir it up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

"The Xbox One's performance shortfall will be irrelevant"

Trying to rationalise the inferior!!!

But his argument on the controller has made me want to forget about my ps4 pre-order straight away. Those pesky ps controllers have made it impossible for me to write or type or drive..........oh wait I just typed this while driving!!!!

THE PS4 HAS A NEW CONTROLLER.

Ha, sorry, that's a few people now that think they'll be stuck with pinchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ha, sorry, that's a few people now that think they'll be stuck with pinchers.

My attempt at sarcasm was obviously a fail then!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Some very questionable points made in that article.

BTW, here's a good rundown of launch/announced exclusive/non-exclusive titles:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/by-the-numbers-next-generation-console-software-showdown/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

LOL

They're listing Sony not needing to backtrack as a plus point for the One. So that's what the bottom of the barrel looks like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Those reasons are either completely made up or not reasons at all. He's completely accepted that Kinect will be useful despite no examples of it existing yet, apparently the PS3's hardware boost not being such a big deal is a reason to buy a One, suddenly the PS4 controller "isn't as comfortable", the launch lineup is better but he doesn't actually tell us the launch games to support this point and for some reason making a mistake and then eventually agreeing it was a mistake (after unprecedented uproar) is better than doing the right thing in the first place and that Microsoft's attitude (complete with not-too-long-ago phrases like "people without internet connections can just buy an Xbox 360") is actually admirable.

I have to imagine this article was just written to drive up page views by trolling gamers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The trustedreviews thing is at least open about it being opinionated. That being said, if it actually convinces anyone to get an xbox when they planned on getting a PS4, I'd be surprised. The points are by and large either subjective, or just attempting to spin a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭McDonnellDean

I think the X1 is the console to go for, not because of anything discussed here. The X1 will be backed by Azure, Microsoft's cloud service. Azure is positioning itself very strongly in the software market, they have Scott Guthrie, a very well respected VP at it's helm and they have made some massive inroads in places like Linux and Node support.

Game devs will seek to offload as much as they can to the cloud in my view but this will be first part exclusives most likely. This is for the same reason that the PS4's extra beef will make fick all difference for cross platform games; It makes commercial sense to optimize for the lowest common denominator which means the only games that will get cloud power or raw console power will be first part exclusives.

The reason I bring up the cloud though is because of it's potential impact on the infrastructural side. MS will be able to deliver some cracking software that offloads most of it's work to the cloud meaning potentially unlimited hardware resources only reined in by the speed of a users broadband. MS are already investigating the feasibility of Windows in the cloud so I expect a lot of innovation on the xbox end too.

The X1 OS, looks to be far more mature also. Having two OS images run in tandem with fast switching gives the best of boat worlds. I know some people feel that games consoles should only cater for games but I disagree. I personally want an entertainment machine that does content of all types equally as well. I use Netflix and Xbox Music on my console all the time and to have these services running on an OS designed for consumption, away from the games sounds epic.

We already know MS' future plans thanks to a botched reveal. I personally think they where wrong to backtrack. If you sweep away the cruft and FUD it was easy to see how MS was positioning the X1 to work more like steam. This is good for everyone, devs get more money and we get price reductions. When all said and done the economics of the used game market hurts everyone. Anyone with a steam account will tell you how galling preowned prices are compared to steam sales.

Based on work MS has done in it's other services it's easy to see that they are betting the farm on Cloud so I think that rather than go away, they have only delayed the original vision for how the X1 will work, I have no doubt that in 12 months there will be an opt in for the new delivery mechanisms. If I was a betting man I would put money on it not being ready more than the will of the customer for the backtrack. It is interesting to see MS have had to push a few timescales out (Windows 8.1 RTM for instance) so this would not come as a shock to me.

Ultimately I think the X1 and PS4 will do equally well but I feel there is a divergence happening, in the same way the Wii diverged, between Sony and MS in terms of what people want. If nothing else it is going to be a fun cycle this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think the X1 is the console to go for, not because of anything discussed here. The X1 will be backed by Azure, Microsoft's cloud service. Azure is positioning itself very strongly in the software market, they have Scott Guthrie, a very well respected VP at it's helm and they have made some massive inroads in places like Linux and Node support.

Game devs will seek to offload as much as they can to the cloud in my view but this will be first part exclusives most likely. This is for the same reason that the PS4's extra beef will make fick all difference for cross platform games; It makes commercial sense to optimize for the lowest common denominator which means the only games that will get cloud power or raw console power will be first part exclusives.

The reason I bring up the cloud though is because of it's potential impact on the infrastructural side. MS will be able to deliver some cracking software that offloads most of it's work to the cloud meaning potentially unlimited hardware resources only reined in by the speed of a users broadband. MS are already investigating the feasibility of Windows in the cloud so I expect a lot of innovation on the xbox end too.
    I've spotted the main problem.

@K.O.Kiki,

I completely agree. However, this issue is much bigger than consoles. Our consumption of bandwidth is increasing in all aspects of our connected life. I think the next ten years will see massive innovations in this area, there has to be.

Also, it should be pointed out that there is not a direct correlation between processing power and bandwidth transfer. For example, you could put all the processing power of deep blue at the other end of the pipe because ultimately all it needs to return is Knight to Rook 4, which takes very little bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I was all set to get both, at some point. But to be Frank, reading Sony fanboy comments on every other article that's posted up on game sites, even when not related to either next gen console, they insist on starting the ruckus - has turned me off the ps4. I would never want to play online with these kids!

XB1 for me to start at least.

• Advertisement

COD Online, Xbox One.

gentlemen.jpg

Advertisement