Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Grayditch wrote: »
    My cloud would batter your cloud.

ywd2.jpg
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@McDonnellDean
    Please stop double and triple-posting.

You're shilling too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

We already know MS' future plans thanks to a botched reveal. I personally think they where wrong to backtrack. If you sweep away the cruft and FUD it was easy to see how MS was positioning the X1 to work more like steam. This is good for everyone, devs get more money and we get price reductions. When all said and done the economics of the used game market hurts everyone. Anyone with a steam account will tell you how galling preowned prices are compared to steam sales.

No, they were not making it like Steam. Steam is consumer friendly because even though it has pretty extensive DRM, Valve don't have a total lockdown on the PC market. Steam prices are kept competitive by a lot of alternative places to buy PC games, both physical and digital copies. The system MS had planned meant that if your only console was an Xbox One, the price of every game you buy is completely controlled by Microsoft. The used game market hurts developers for sure, but it's definitely good for consumers.

And as someone with over 100 Steam games, no, I will not tell you that pre-owned prices are "galling". I don't often buy second-hand on consoles, but when I do the prices are quite reasonable. Steam prices on the other hand, are generally somewhat unreasonable outside of sale time.

And I'd like to echo K.O.Kiri above me. This forum has a feature that allows you to quote multiple posts into a single reply, you should use that when replying to several people at once instead of clogging up the thread with triple posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

MS and their bloody cloud...........:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    @McDonnellDean
    Please stop double and triple-posting.

You're shilling too hard.

While I echo the suggestion of multi-quoting where possible, I'd also request less backseat modding / shilling comments :). As ever, report any issue you might have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭McDonnellDean

Noted on the multi post...

I think it's unfair to say I am shilling. I have never said PS4 is inferior. I think it's cloud service will be but thats basic maths (a couple of hundred million invested vs a couple of billion per year). My argument has been based solely on the cloud and what it brings, I only make this argument because I work with the cloud and am at least more qualified to talk about it that those who 'reckon' this and 'reckon' that.

In terms of steam. Their original DRM (the offline mode debacle) was pretty bad, as they became market leader they were able to throw their weight around more to the point we are at today. I am a massive fan of Steam and would be first in line for a Steam box if it became a thing. The point I was trying to make about Steam is it started as with less than desirable DRM and got better.

In terms of game sharing the original plan was as such:
    Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Of course this is gone now with the backtrack but it was as fair as publishers would allow them I think. The worst part of all this though is that Microsoft couldn't even manage to get the above out to the masses, E3, and the original reveal are only matched by New Coke in terms of the most disastrous launch in history.

In terms of the second hand market. It is not good for consumers, at all. You are paying a premium to Gamestop et al. This is how steam can reduce the price in it's sales so much because giving the dev a few dollars is better than no dollars. Of course all of this is gone now so it is irrelevant.

My hope is that both Sony & Microsoft keep pushing towards a steam model. Sure both will inevitable encounter bumps on along the road but the current model does not represent value for money in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

interesting news coming out now about a sony bundle with Killzone, the PS eye and a second controller for €499 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    interesting news coming out now about a sony bundle with Killzone, the PS eye and a second controller for €499 here

I'd get that for sure. Was going to get Killzone and another controller anyway. That's better than the XB1 deal for me.

Second Controller Deals are always a winner in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

DeSelby83 wrote: »

Would presume Killzone will have split screen then? Has it been mentioned? Actually, I dont think I've heard anything about local multiplayer on next gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd get that for sure. Was going to get Killzone and another controller anyway. That's better than the XB1 deal for me.

The deal seems very close to what Xbox is offering minus the extra controller. For €499 you get Fifa 14, Kinect and the console. The Kinect camera.

Would presume Killzone will have split screen then? Has it been mentioned? Actually, I dont think I've heard anything about local multiplayer on next gen.

The last 2 have been full coop campaign, and brilliantly so. I don't think this does, which is unfortunate but I think Knack does, so I can play that with the missus.

The deal seems very close to what Xbox is offering minus the extra controller. For €499 you get Fifa 14, Kinect and the console. The Kinect camera.

I wasn't going to get Fifa and was going to get another joypad and Killzone. This would work out considerably cheaper for me, even if I don't decide to sell the camera. If this is actually 500, it's a bargain. They'd be actually paying be about 20 quid just to TAKE the camera, ha.

I wasn't going to get Fifa and was going to get another joypad and Killzone. This would work out considerably cheaper for me, even if I don't decide to sell the camera. If this is actually 500, it's a bargain. They'd be actually paying be about 20 quid just to TAKE the camera, ha.

its real! :eek: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-30-playstation-4-bundle-contains-killzone-camera-second-pad-for-roughly-same-price-as-xbox-one

helluva bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

For a extra 100 quid, I am gonna get that bundle for sure, Microsoft cannot touch that sort of value, plus all the the PS+ games you will get at launch day for free as well makes it a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

People do not really want the Kinect in the first place, so your paying 500 quid for a game, console and controller, so it is nowhere near close to the Sony deal, at least you can sell on the PS4 camera if you do not want it.

Xenji wrote: »
    People do not really want the Kinect in the first place, so your paying 500 quid for a game, console and controller, so it is nowhere near close to the Sony deal, at least you can sell on the PS4 camera if you do not want it.

I want the Kinect. It's great for the little ones and the swiping looks cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Xenji wrote: »
    Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. It is close to the Sony deal, the only difference (in terms of the bundle) being the extra controller thus saving you around £60. You're right about the camera issue though, although I wonder just how many people will actually sell it on. For those who do that's another added saving to consider I guess.

The biggest issue for me at least is still paying more for a console which still isn't as powerful as its competitor and the principle of having to pay a good chunk of money for a peripheral you may never want to use.

As an aside, I imagine the Killzone bundle will extend beyond launch? I imagine the same won't be true for XBox One and the FIFA bundling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

While I echo the suggestion of multi-quoting where possible, I'd also request less backseat modding / shilling comments :). As ever, report any issue you might have.

Sorry, I just considered it more of a suggestion to use a feature they might not have known existed rather than something to be reported.
    In terms of steam. Their original DRM (the offline mode debacle) was pretty bad, as they became market leader they were able to throw their weight around more to the point we are at today. I am a massive fan of Steam and would be first in line for a Steam box if it became a thing. The point I was trying to make about Steam is it started as with less than desirable DRM and got better.

That's true but once again, this is due to the fact that Steam had competition. Nobody was going to buy games through Steam or use it any more than they absolutely had to unless they improved the service. If you want to play games on PC, using Steam is voluntary. Under the original X1 system, if you wanted to play games on your Xbox, using XBL was mandatory. Microsoft had a captive audience and would have very little incentive to improve the DRM or the prices on their store.

In terms of the second hand market. It is not good for consumers, at all.

1) You are paying a premium to Gamestop et al.

2) This is how steam can reduce the price in it's sales so much because giving the dev a few dollars is better than no dollars.

3) Of course all of this is gone now so it is irrelevant.

1) You pay less money for the game, how is that a "premium"? :confused: As a consumer, it doesn't matter who gets the money, it just matters how much lighter your wallet is (although as a gamer its understandable that you want to support the developers). You can also trade the game in to get some of the original cost back, which never really mattered to me but some people need the money more than I do.

2) This doesn't make sense. Steam isn't trying to compete with a second hand market because there isn't one on PC and hasn't been for years now. If anything, Steam's sale prices are there to compete with piracy which is still rampant on PC. However, the second hand market does cause prices of games to go down across the board as unused copies try to stay competitively priced.

3) No it isn't, the whole resolution of the X1 controversy was that they will let the second hand game market live on and it has always been planned to continue on PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

On that Sony bundle - if you don't think it's a good deal then you can just not buy it and go for the €399 console instead. Options = good.

I also have absolutely no idea what Steam sales have to do with the second hand console market, none.

• Advertisement

I think Sony would do better to put a BF4 or COD:G bundle together....nobody knows wtf Killzone is, or would prefer a proper AAA title as Killzone is shiite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

danthefan wrote: »
    On that Sony bundle - if you don't think it's a good deal then you can just not buy it and go for the €399 console instead. Options = good.

I also have absolutely no idea what Steam sales have to do with the second hand console market, none.

Thats what I like about Sony's way. Its an option. Even so, this bundle is cheaper then buying controller and killzone separately, and you do get camera, which you can hook up or just resell for a tenner.

So yeah, I still dont care about camera, but if that bundle will turn out cheaper even by 10eu and I get items I wanted in the first place - I will take it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is the knack bundle confirmed? Won't be getting the Killzone bundle, I've found the series incredibly boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭thegame983

Ok guys. Let's shake things up a bit.

Let's presume the majority of us here are getting a next gen console with a 50 euro ps+/ xbl subscription. Which games, let's say 3 will you be getting at launch.

I'd probably go for Fifa, Battlefield, Watchdogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

thegame983 wrote: »

Let's presume the majority of us here are getting a next gen console with a 50 euro ps+/ xbl subscription. Which games, let's say 3 will you be getting at launch.

We had a thread on it already. Though I do have Knack and Killzone preordered. I am thinking of preordering COD for ****s and giggles too.

I have Knack, BF4 and COD:G almost paid off.....i might witch Ghosts to Watchdogs, does anyone know if watchdogs is a launch day title?....i thought it was delayed?

If i get a bundle with a game then cool, Killzone or Knack will do grand....i'll take the best bundle that is in stock on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

thegame983 wrote: »

I dont have much € so I'll only be buying 1 title, that will be Battlefield 4 and I'll take the Fifa for free, thank god :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That is a great bundle, if it holds at €499 in stores here I'll be picking it up, mainly for the camera and extra controller, I don't mind which game as I will prob end up buying them all anyway over the first 3 months.

I have zero Kinect 2 interest but have a lot of interest in the PSMove. It was amazing on PS3 and is already doing some incredible things in tech demo's on PS4, plus Play room is free on it. But the Controller itself needs the camera too to make use of the light bar.

In terms of launch titles I'm really interested in.

Killzone
    Watchdogs
    AC4
    BF4

Should keep me happy until Christmas.

I can understand people not being into Killzone, it's a bit dreary and uninspiring, but I love it the speed and mechanics of it. The only one I've never liked was the very first one. Nothings beaten KZ2, though. Hours of fun on multiplayer.

• Advertisement

The charging station is listed as 29.99: http://www.toys.ie/PlayStation-4-!WCAT274-cat.aspx

I also saw the vertical stand listed as, wait for it.......20 quid!!, ffs!....its a piece of plastic!! http://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearchHeaderPlatform?platform=31

Advertisement