Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I think Sony would do better to put a BF4 or COD:G bundle together....nobody knows wtf Killzone is, or would prefer a proper AAA title as Killzone is shiite.

That would probably sell better but it would cost them loads to do since EA and Activision know those titles will sell fantastically regardless of bundles. Besides, many people buying a new console at launch will still want those on the previous-gen consoles so they can play online with their friends.

Killzone isn't as big as those, but the last two sold over 2m each which isn't bad. Sony probably want to get some more attention around exclusive franchises like Killzone too.

I never liked the franchise that much either but having seen the gameplay at E3 I thought it looked quite interesting. Definitely a pallet change from the previous grey-brown hue that plagued games this gen as well as fast paced action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The charging station is listed as 29.99: http://www.toys.ie/PlayStation-4-!WCAT274-cat.aspx

I also saw the vertical stand listed as, wait for it.......20 quid!!, ffs!....its a piece of plastic!! http://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearchHeaderPlatform?platform=31
    I plan to make my own out of LEGO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hope Killzone isn't faster. I don't want another stupid COD Benny Hill deathmatch fest. They should try for the KZ2 gameplay. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grayditch wrote: »
    I hope Killzone isn't faster. I don't want another stupid COD Benny Hill deathmatch fest. They should try for the KZ2 gameplay. It was brilliant.

From the sound of it it is changed a good bit.

If it still has that weight behind movement as you run or vault or when you shoot someone and they go down like they've been kick by a horse without the over the top rag doll then I'm good.

Grayditch wrote: »

I was referring to the single player element, I haven't seen any multiplayer footage. I just meant that the gameplay looked like it had a lot more movement and flow compared the current FPS of "1) enter area 2) find cover 3) peak out from cover to shoot a guy 4) repeat step 3 until all enemies are gone".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

C14N wrote: »
    I was referring to the single player element, I haven't seen any multiplayer footage. I just meant that the gameplay looked like it had a lot more movement and flow compared the current FPS of "1) enter area 2) find cover 3) peak out from cover to shoot a guy 4) repeat step 3 until all enemies are gone".

I just want something different form the single player campaign of an FPS. I know a lot of people who bought either COD or BF3 (or both) and never bothered completing the single player campaign as they were both very rote experiences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I plan to make my own out of LEGO.

LEGO....is there anything it cant do? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

If they have a Knack bundle for 500 i'll get that one, really not into Killzone.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

If they have a Knack bundle for 500 i'll get that one, really not into Killzone.......

wouldnt blame you, kilzone has been terrible since the day it was created :pac: horrible fps
    even though the new one looks great in terms of graphics
    still im surprized they made it considering how bad the last one was. Surely they can't be making profit on that game at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    still im surprized they made it considering how bad the last one was. Surely they can't be making profit on that game at all

2.49 million copies of Killzone 3 sold.

Also, while I agree the first Killzone was poor, I wholeheartedly disagree that Killzone 2 or 3 were (3 less so). The multiplayer for 2 was, and still is, fantastic.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure most people criticizing all Killzones haven't played all Killzones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While I never played the multiplayer of Killzone 2 and 3 the single player games of both were two of the dullest games I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While I never played the multiplayer of Killzone 2 and 3 the single player games of both were two of the dullest games I've ever played.

I think nearly all FPS campaigns are terrible and repetitive, the online of killzone 2 was fantastic though. So different to other shooters and it had a big learning curve. I hate that they're following COD again this time, it just makes it more generic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »

For the less than half that you did play.

The Killzone 3 campaign was good in coop. It's multiplayer wasn't great, unfortunately.

I hope the new one works on both fronts, but one or the other will make me happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Killzone 2 and 3 multiplayer is up there with the best online games of the last gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I was listening to the latest EpicBattleAxe and Tony Grice said PS4 has a million pre-orders whilst the Xbone has 2 million. Is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I was listening to the latest EpicBattleAxe and Tony Grice said PS4 has a million pre-orders whilst the Xbone has 2 million. Is that true?
    Doubt it, thought it was around 1 million to 700 thousand in favour of PS4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If it was, Microsoft would not be packing in a free game with its pre-orders. Instead, they'd be shouting about this from the rooftops.

So no, I don't think it's true.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Otacon wrote: »
    If it was, Microsoft would not be packing in a free game with its pre-orders. Instead, they'd be shouting about this from the rooftops.

So no, I don't think it's true.

I think it's telling that the free game is only in Europe, a region that has traditionally been a strong Playstation region.

Microsoft must think that things are going ok in the US.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    I think it's telling that the free game is only in Europe, a region that has traditionally been a strong Playstation region.

It might be, sounds like the One is pretty good if you live in the US with the TV features and decent Netflix and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 faultytool

I heard the complete opposite, that the PS4 would outsell the Xbox at launch by 1.7:1

Although I think they were estimating initial console sales based on pre-ordered titles, which is a pretty dubious way of going about it, and it was US sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Killzone 2 and 3 multiplayer is up there with the best online games of the last gen.

Fascinating. I'm primarily a Pc Gamer, though Halo grabbed me since its launch on the original Xbox; far from simply bringing 'quality FPS gaming as the Pc has known for years' to consoles as Pc gamers traditionally dismiss its acclaim, I always found it incredibly unique and enjoyable and worthy of a place alongside even the Pc greats; I'm always interested in console titles that can make such a claim. I don't own a PS3, though my housemate does, and I'll make sure to pick up KZ3 now based on that. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    For the less than half that you did play.

What?

Has someone been checking someone's trophies? PSN Lurkin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Even at that, if you go to amazon.com or bestbuy.com, the PS4 is all sold out and the XOne is not.

It was posted on NeoGAF that one Dutch retailer had over three times the PS4 pre-orders as XOne pre-orders.

On amazon.co.uk, the PS4 is 7th in the list of video game best sellers for 2013, the XOne is 56th.

I'll freely admit all this is anecdotal evidence with no figures provided but it seems very much to me that unless MS have way more stock available, and all suggestions are they don't, I can't see how they're ahead at pre-orders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

danthefan wrote: »
    Even at that, if you go to amazon.com or bestbuy.com, the PS4 is all sold out and the XOne is not.

It was posted on NeoGAF that one Dutch retailer had over three times the PS4 pre-orders as XOne pre-orders.

On amazon.co.uk, the PS4 is 7th in the list of video game best sellers for 2013, the XOne is 56th.

I'll freely admit all this is anecdotal evidence with no figures provided but it seems very much to me that unless MS have way more stock available, and all suggestions are they don't, I can't see how they're ahead at pre-orders.

NeoGAF is the only one of those that I'd pay no attention to. My point was that while the Xbox might be doing okay in the US, ok in this case being "running close to the PS4", I think it's struggling to get traction in Europe.

Very sad really, as competition is good. Honestly, I don't think we'll see a successful Xbox One until the price is driven down, so probably another 2 years. Still, I have hope that two years on the back foot will cause Microsoft to pull out all the stops, bag a few more exclusives. Again, competition is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

NeoGAF is the only one of those that I'd pay no attention to. My point was that while the Xbox might be doing okay in the US, ok in this case being "running close to the PS4", I think it's struggling to get traction in Europe.

Very sad really, as competition is good. Honestly, I don't think we'll see a successful Xbox One until the price is driven down, so probably another 2 years. Still, I have hope that two years on the back foot will cause Microsoft to pull out all the stops, bag a few more exclusives. Again, competition is good!

NeoGAF is generally quite reliable. It's quite heavily moderated, you'd get banned for just making stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Microsoft need to close the 100 euro difference be that with a free game and free Xbox live sub.

We are getting fifa not that I want it, the US will prob get more tv stuff. Subscriptions etc. To close the gap.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    NeoGAF is generally quite reliable. It's quite heavily moderated, you'd get banned for just making stuff up.

That may be, as I don't have the temperament to get involved with another forum website (Boards is enough for me!). All that I do know is that any of the times that I've tried to hunt down the source of a rumour and I've ended up there, I have been disappointed by the "quality" of it.

Conjecture backed up with nothing, presented as the inside scoop. It's like reading the transfer gossip in the daily mirror.

Well, probably more accurate, it's like being an arsenal fan and reading the transfer gossip in the daily mirror.

Advertisement