Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    Has someone been checking someone's trophies? PSN Lurkin'.

Must have been, but then my PS3 isn't online much and it only syncs trophy's when online so not exactly an accurate way to judge. I can assure you I played KZ2 to completion and had to endure one of the worst final bosses in FPS history :( Played most of KZ3 co-op in a friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What?

You said yourself you didn't play the MP and only played SP, you might as well have said they were both some of the dullest tutorials you've ever played.

The SP barely matters in any FPS, most live by just their MP and with things like Battlelog and other game equivalents most people don't even play the SP anymore and it's becoming an unwanted part of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I don't like online multiplayer games. I played them loads about 10 years ago but they don't interest me anymore. I feel they are a total waste of time. Therefore for me I'm only judging on the single player content because that's all I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah, I'd happily have a 4 hour run and gun SP, if they made the MP addictive and tactical.

Or a single player as good as Bioshock or Dishonoured.

Probably won't get both!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I don't like online multiplayer games. I played them loads about 10 years ago but they don't interest me anymore. I feel they are a total waste of time. Therefore for me I'm only judging on the single player content because that's all I like.

Judging a game after a few hours or levels is fine, if it can't hold you that long then it has issues but ignoring the main aspect of a game and then writing it off is not.

Fair enough you don't like the MP but the SP in most FPS is now an afterthought, I gave up on the SP on BF3 and only finished it recently and I don't know about you but I can only think of 1/2 good SP fps in the last few years; Far cry 3, (Borderlands too maybe but it's more FP RPG), Bioshock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Varik wrote: »
    Judging a game after a few hours or levels is fine, if it can't hold you that long then it has issues but ignoring the main aspect of a game and then writing it off is not.

Fair enough you don't like the MP but the SP in most FPS is now an afterthought, I gave up on the SP on BF3 and only finished it recently and I don't know about you but I can only think of 1/2 good SP fps in the last few years; Far cry 3 (Borderlands too maybe but it's more FP RPG).

I have given up on the BF3 sp as well, is it worth finishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I judge single player games on the last of us these days.

Well again it's my opinion and it's only judging the single player portion, I never said otherwise. Maybe multiplayer is better but I've interest in it. My experience is just the single player which I found to be terrible.

I never said or pretended otherwise.

sarumite wrote: »
    I have given up on the BF3 sp as well, is it worth finishing?

No, I'm just doing it as I've put a lot of time into the game in MP and might as well Platinum the thing. Only have the stupid perfect run in the jet (which you have to play from the start each time) and the co-op which barely work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

No, I'm just doing it as I've put a lot of time into the game in MP and might as well Platinum the thing. Only have the stupid perfect run in the jet (which you have to play from the start each time) and the co-op which barely work.

Cool, thats a game I can miss then. I am not a trophy hunter and I have way too many good games in my backlog to worry about playing a bad one. The MP is enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RasTa wrote: »
    I judge single player games on the last of us these days.

I judged the Last of us by its multiplayer. Game was shiet! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The SP barely matters in any FPS, most live by just their MP and with things like Battlelog and other game equivalents most people don't even play the SP anymore and it's becoming an unwanted part of the game.
    Completely disagree with this. Battlefield 3 isn't really a valid example of this as it was the first game in the main series to attempt a proper single player campaign in an attempt to compete with Call of Duty, itself a game whose SP has been dramatically shortened since COD4 and its meteoric rise to popularity, primarily due to its multiplayer.

Killzone was also a series which was based on a strong single player campaign so attempting to dismiss criticism based on the relatively weak campaigns in KZ2 and KZ3 just because their MP, a mode which not everyone wants to play, has gotten better is ludicrous. Same would go for Resistance while we're on the subject of the PS3. Hell, even Halo, a series which became popular because of its MP still has a relatively meaty SP campaign.

As for other SP-focused FPS titles, there was FarCry and Bioshock as you mentioned, then the Metro series, Hard Reset, STALKER series, Serious Sam 3, Bulletstorm, Singularity, Crysis, R6: Vegas, FEAR 2/3 and Rise of the Triad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

CatInABox wrote: »
    Still, I have hope that two years on the back foot will cause Microsoft to pull out all the stops, bag a few more exclusives. Again, competition is good!

Yeah hopefully, it worked that way last time for Sony at least.
    Microsoft need to close the 100 euro difference be that with a free game and free Xbox live sub.

We are getting fifa not that I want it, the US will prob get more tv stuff. Subscriptions etc. To close the gap.

Or possibly something like Madden since they've already got an EA Sports deal.

I agree with Retro, I don't like playing the multiplayer in most games either. If they're going to go and put in a full single player campaign with a story and full levels and such, then it's perfectly valid to judge it on it's campaign. In the likes of Killzone and Battlefield 3, there was clearly a lot of time and money put into the single player modes and they make up a complete game by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 does voice recognition through the new PlayStation Camera.
    A Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesperson told Eurogamer: "We can confirm that PS Camera does allow voice recognition. We will share more details on this shortly."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-02-sony-confirms-playstation-camera-does-voice-recognition

Fifa 14 confirmed as being only free with Day One editions, and will be a digital copy.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/02/xbox-ones-free-fifa-14-for-day-one-edition-consoles-only/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Xenji wrote: »
    Fifa 14 confirmed as being only free with Day One editions, and will be a digital copy.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/02/xbox-ones-free-fifa-14-for-day-one-edition-consoles-only/

TBH I assumed this was the case. I wonder if they will announce official bundles soon.

Otacon wrote: »
    TBH I assumed this was the case. I wonder if they will announce official bundles soon.

I did as well, but it looks like a lot of people did not, they are getting some abuse on twitter about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I did as well, but it looks like a lot of people did not, they are getting some abuse on twitter about it.

they seemed quite clear about it specialy when they said (while stocks last)

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    they seemed quite clear about it specialy when they said (while stocks last)

They were telling people on their offical twitter since the announcement it would be for all pre-orders not just the Day One Edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭thegame983

They were telling people on their offical twitter since the announcement it would be for all pre-orders not just the Day One Edition.

ouch. I presumed it would be with all pre orders. Yeah I just tested it out on amazon. Normal edition - no fifa. day one edition - Fifa (and it's sold out)

In fairness how can you have a limited supply of a digital product?

• Advertisement

thegame983 wrote: »
    ouch. I presumed it would be with all pre orders. Yeah I just tested it out on amazon. Normal edition - no fifa. day one edition - Fifa (and it's sold out)

Because you only bought a limited number of keys from the publisher of said digital product?

thegame983 wrote: »

Depends on what sort of a deal Microsoft and EA came up with, Microsoft may have just bought a limited number of the game off of EA, doubt EA would be doing this if it meant they would be losing money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Ive learnt from years ago not to take anything to word from their "Offical" Twitter account.
    like when they announced games on demand
    their offical twitter account and their OXM announced that Assassins creed 2 and Halo3 where the first games of the month to come free. And no they didnt say free during the programme, they actually said Free first month. It was only at the presentation of e3 when MS announced "during the programme"

They dont communicate enough with the head offices or Marketing department. or vice-versa

Their twitter account basicly just writes up stuff that has been said from MS without actually clarifying anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

is anyone getting the ps4 camera or other official accessories?

I am deffo getting the camera, might pick up the charging station....20 quid for a plastic stand?....meh!

I can see that disappointing and annoying some people.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I can see that disappointing and annoying some people.

Agreed. I'll admit that I didn't read the fine print but Microsoft implied that ALL xbox1 would come with Fifa. Added to that that's what the mainstream media reported...and that's the most important thing. Will the mainstream media redact this statment. Probably not.

I actually saw a woman in Gamestop booking an Xbox One and the girl told her she may not get one on launch day, but she might get one before Christmas. The kid with her was wearing a football jersey and I'm totally guessing here, but I think that woman is going to think she's getting FIFA for free.

Even if not, I think that will happen a lot, I just hope that people aren't choosing a system based on something they don't end up with. There's been a lot of mixed messages from Microsoft.

If Sony started this nonsense I'd be shaking my head at them too, but so far they've played fairly with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If I would be going with Xbox one, I would have traded in fifa same moment I pick up Xbox one, but now they are not even giving physical copy of it, so all people who don't care about fifa will be stuck with nothing. Fifa is Avery specific game genre and it is love or hate with it.

Anyway, 3 months to go :( bollox. I want my next gen 720p machine now :(

Again it's their messenging. I was legitimally excited by this Fifa bundle but its just a smokescreen for a selct few.

Presumably the reason of the bundle is to create price parity with the PS4 without having to officially announce a price drop. They must backtrack on this and give it to everyone?

• Advertisement

If I would be going with Xbox one, I would have traded in fifa same moment I pick up Xbox one, but now they are not even giving physical copy of it, so all people who don't care about fifa will be stuck with nothing. Fifa is Avery specific game genre and it is love or hate with it.
    They can still sell it on adverts or eBay in fairness.
    Anyway, 3 months to go :( bollox. I want my next gen 720p machine now :(
    Come on ShadowHearth, you're better than that. :D

Advertisement