Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

quad_red wrote: »
    You mock me conjecturing on the situation from specs and then you start speculating yourself?
    Well, lets look at the possible outcomes in terms of OS usage.
    1) MS get features Sony don't.
    2) Sony uses up a lot of the OS too.
    3) Sony gets the same features despite not having as much OS usage.

Are there more options? But, lets look at 1 above a bit more. Lets say that this is the case, the question then becomes how valuable are these features, and how do face offs between consoles turn out as a result.

Now, I added the third one as I think people would bring it up if I didn't, though does anyone think it a credible option?
    And you know that how? Check out the digital foundry on eurogamer. There have been some wildly divergent ports of the same game with hugely different frame rates and graphics out comes.
    Interesting that face offs are so important to you now in this hypothetical no one knows time. Out of interest, what are your buying habits this gen in terms of multi plats? If you generally go with 360, then at least you are being consistent. Though, if you buy mostly on the PS3 that would be telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Interesting that face offs are so important to you now in this hypothetical no one knows time. Out of interest, what are your buying habits this gen in terms of multi plats? If you generally go with 360, then at least you are being consistent. Though, if you buy mostly on the PS3 that would be telling.

Bought a 360 not long after launch. Got a PS3 in around 2010.

Bought most multiplatform titles based on faceoffs - which played and looked better. So the vast majority were on the 360 (although I had a preference for the 360 gamepad which was a factor).

Is that telling enough?

Bought a 360 not long after launch. Got a PS3 in around 2010.

Bought most multiplatform titles based on faceoffs - which played and looked better. So the vast majority were on the 360 (although I had a preference for the 360 gamepad which was a factor).

Is that telling enough?
    Thanks for the clarification. Too often I'd see some ad hoc justification why a standard works well here, but it doesn't work elsewhere.

Honestly, as I see it I think the idea that even 1 GB of OS will be taken up is ridiculous. Though, even leaving this aside, I do think the face offs are likely to favour the PS4. At least that is how all the rumour is sounding. I mean, while both have 8 GB RAM, not all RAM is created equal. Or cost equal for that matter. I expect the consoles will both cost quite a bit.

I'm probably going to end up with the three consoles during the life cycle. I still have questions about the PS4 right now, but honestly, we don't have any answers about the nextbox at all.

I hate the waiting for official talk about the nextbox. Phil Thurott, the guy who is responsible for the talk on the three consoles, the $500, $300 and $99 one has a write up, and from that:
    Will Microsoft change this requirement in the wake of early outrage? Frankly I think we’re too far along in the development process of the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, to make such a change. More to the point, I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time. Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.
    Honestly, the above sounds very much like the 360, rather than some big switch for the nextbox. Anyway, I replied to his post and he had responded. I've responded to him and am waiting for a response. My latest post to him was asking what he understands being offline would stop, and that he could speculate as I'll be taking any rumours with a grain of salt. I pointed out that if it is just patches, netflix, things that always require a connection, then the always online is to trivial as to be pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I pointed out that if it is just patches, netflix, things that always require a connection, then the always online is to trivial as to be pointless.

Not to take away from the rest of your post, but netflix access requires a gold account anyway with Xbox and I believe this is going to continue into the next console. So it's a bit of a weak point. People who won't be looking to use it online, won't need to get a gold account anyway, so referencing those features is somewhat missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

i dont think MS could do anything, bar putting a titan gpu in and charging less then 500 for it... and even then, the thought of having to pay a sub fee just to play games online is crazy, let alone if they go ahead with needing an always on connection to play singleplayer games, even no used games to boot, kinect having to be on all the time too,... theres just so much bs, either the best gpu on the market in the box or fukk off ms, i mean, whats in it for me or you, the gamer?, when you barely even support your current console with exclusive games that can be played no where else ?

Not to take away from the rest of your post, but netflix access requires a gold account anyway with Xbox and I believe this is going to continue into the next console. So it's a bit of a weak point. People who won't be looking to use it online, won't need to get a gold account anyway, so referencing those features is somewhat missing the point.
    Oh, I know. My point is that if the always on is what we have come to expect in terms of the 360, then the point of always online is trivial. The always online that is dreaded is a change - a "Oh, you aren't online? Yeah, you can't play that game" a la Sim City. I really don't think MS are blindingly stupid, so I really don't think they'll do such a thing, but apparently that is what people are expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Funnily enough I've always had a more powerful PC gaming rig, but that's never stopped me enjoying my PS3. Infact, I have to say, when I weigh it up I've had more fun with my PS3 than my PC... Something nice about sitting down on the couch and then loading up the PS3 on the projector and going straight into a game/movie/whatever....

So, to answer the OP, I'll certainly be buying a PS4 this Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well if I do get a next gen console it may well be the PS4.

This is for the simple reason that I detest the XBox controller. I know most people think it's the bees knees but it's just not for me.

I also prefered the PS3 exclusives. Infamous is a cracking series that can only get better, Uncharted was excellent too.

I haven't read up on it but will PSN still be free for online play? That was why I went for the PS3 in the first place.

Factors I would dislike in any console are:
    Being unable to play used games
    Always on - especially if it leads to problems running apps or games that don't necessarily require an online connection

I've been reluctantly impressed with the WiiU as a casual device but couldn't justify buying it as well as a PS4/XBox720.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Having owned both consoles this gen having bought a ps3 at launch and then a 360 two years later here's what I preferred about the Xbox:

+ Better online experience
    + First to release some DLC
    + Better dashboard/OS
    + Far better controller

- Lack of Blu Ray (not an issue really for me)
    - No GoW/Uncharted

There isn't a whole lot of difference IMO. But if MS decide to introduce stupid DRM techniques then I'm going back to Sony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

.ak wrote: »
    Funnily enough I've always had a more powerful PC gaming rig, but that's never stopped me enjoying my PS3. Infact, I have to say, when I weigh it up I've had more fun with my PS3 than my PC... Something nice about sitting down on the couch and then loading up the PS3 on the projector and going straight into a game/movie/whatever....
    You should have another look at your PC, It's quicker and easier to do all that on a PC.

Sub 1 minute boot time with an SSD, you've got media centre built into windows 7 which you can use a remote with but I find it easier to just use my phone as a remote/mouse/keyboard and just browse the internet.. From my couch.. On a projector.. While you have to install PC games you only do it once and after that games load much, much quicker on PC..

If you've bought your PC in the last 4 or 5 years it's hard drives are much faster than consoles, not to mention much more space, it's got more memory available and direct access to every internet service without having to install extra apps. You've got 5.1 surround sound built in as standard on most PCs, cheaper peripherals, or if you're willing to spend money much better peripherals. Most PCs are now 3D ready and you can even fake it if you don't have the proper hardware.

It is more expensive and initially more time consuming but once you get used to it the PC is far superior media centre than the consoles. You don't need to upgrade it as often as you'd think either, if you're happy with console grade graphics you can get a decade out of your PC. If you want to have the best graphics you can upgrade your graphics card every 3-5 years as the rest of the hardware is mostly way ahead of the programs utilizing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Interesting read on wired entitled 'Why Game Developers Are Flocking to Sony and Fleeing From Microsoft'

With so many excellent indie games out there it would further damage microsoft not to have better relations with these game developers.

Based on all the rumours its not a hard choice and as it stands I'd go with the PS4. What pissed me off with the xbox 360 was everything was extra. I got the standard 20GB at launch. There was no wireless, no rechargeable batteries, didn't come with a hdmi cable and you had to pay to play online. So about an extra €150?

I just thought, isn't ironic for the 360 launch the xbox arcade wasn't really able to go online due to the paltry 256MB card and now its a complete 360 on that with the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You're some man, aren't ye? You don't think there's any reason why you should be civil? Because you're right and that's that etc.

Pretty much.

I don't *want* an OS with a large overhead (whether it's Windows 8 or whatever) taking away resources from the core reason I bought the thing - ie. the games.

Given that an OS of some sort is a core requirement of modern consoles, you're better off telling the tide not to come in.
    Actually, here's a question - what is it you imagine an OS on a console actually does?

And if the PS4 has more powerful hardware and a smaller OS footprint then yes, I would favour it.

Raw power has never been an indication of which machine which end up coming out on top in terms of sales and being the lead platform. In fact, it's usually been the other way around.
    So it's a pointless thing to fixate on.
    I'm interpreting the focus of the respective consoles from the focus of the respective companies in the last 2/3 years.

And yet the conclusions you've drawn are seem to work backwards from "These durango rumours are bad for reasons, therefore PS4 fo lyfe!"
    You mock me conjecturing on the situation from specs and then you start speculating yourself?

Except it's clearly labeled as such, and a tad more grounded in reality than "SOCIAL CRAP STEALIN MAH MEGAGIGABYTES!"
    And you know that how? Check out the digital foundry on eurogamer. There have been some wildly divergent ports of the same game with hugely different frame rates and graphics out comes.

Keep word there being 'some', they are a minority of all published titles, be honest.
    Not that anyone can fucking tell half the time.

That said I am thoroughly looking forward to more of that pointless dick waving, oh yes.
    Nothing makes life more worthwhile then watching people convince themselves of the enormity of tiny differences.

If I'm gonna spend 500 quid on a new console I want to play the best looking console versions of games with the best physics, most/best NPCs etc IF Sony offers me that, I'd favour the PS4.

I'm willing to bet that there's going to be fuck all difference in third party titles between the two. The ongoing kerfuffle about lost gigs of memory and the terribleness of social activity not withstanding.
    Though i'm curious how anyone is going to judge things like the best physics....
    We have yet to see the Durango pitch but this entire conversation is theoretical and based on what's gone before. And with MS's hardon for social gaming etc. I am speculating that they may go the same route here, at the expense of raw power.

Which, historically speaking, puts the machine at a distinct advantage over the PS4.

Which I don't like. You may feel differently.

Well, it's more that you've been very lacking in the justification for your opinion, pledge your undying loyalty to whatever machine you fucking well like, but don't act so bloody surprised when after sharing your reasons why that other people may find them wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well if I do get a next gen console it may well be the PS4.

This is for the simple reason that I detest the XBox controller. I know most people think it's the bees knees but it's just not for me.

This has always baffled me? Not that your not right or anything god knows out of all the pieces of a console your going to use the most the controller i the top one... its just with the amount of 3rd party controllers you can get why would the original one matter so much? You can get dual shock style controllers for xbox and vice versa.

Each to their own I guess.

hightower1 wrote: »
    This has always baffled me? Not that your not right or anything god knows out of all the pieces of a console your going to use the most the controller i the top one... its just with the amount of 3rd party controllers you can get why would the original one matter so much? You can get dual shock style controllers for xbox and vice versa.

In fairness, the post did say not getting a Wii U, but was still looking at PS4/720, citing two main objections. The always online, and the used games thing. Big things, both. I think both are going to turn out to be utter nonsense, but if both were true, it would be a valid reason to be turned off a console.

Though, looking at the controller bit, for me I far prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 one which is too small, but I've just put up with it. I'll actually have to take a look to see what the alternative options out there are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

hightower1 wrote: »

Can you actually get proper PS3 style controllers for Xbox? I know of a USB converter box but can't seem to find a controller that doesn't require this.

Either way, I also don't want to pay a monthly or even pay per play fee for online gaming, I want it free, like on PS3 so for that reason if it remains free, then PS4 for me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've heard some bad stories about 3rd party controllers not working after software updates and not being as responsive. Don't know if they're true but it has typically been enough to put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Any 3rd party controller i've used for either console has always been dog****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The biggest problem I had with the xbox controller was the sticks. They were too rigid. On the PS they were nice and felt easy to move around.

Wouldn't waste your money on those 3rd party controllers. I've had 3 and they were all crap. The most expensive was mad kats and it was dire.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Wouldn't waste your money on those 3rd party controllers. I've had 3 and they were all crap. The most expensive was mad kats and it was dire.
    I've only used one of those, and that was for the Original Xbox and I was quite keen of it, to be honest. Great for Street Fighter, for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I've bought every console and handheld at launch but a huge factor for me buying either next gen consoles would be backwards compatibility in disks and controllers. Rumours suggest neither will and the thought of downloading everything again or buying a new set of controllers for local multiplayer is too much for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've bought every console and handheld at launch but a huge factor for me buying either next gen consoles would be backwards compatibility in disks and controllers. Rumours suggest neither will and the thought of downloading everything again or buying a new set of controllers for local multiplayer is too much for me.

Well, PS4 can't be backwards compatible with PS3 games as they are, unless they get re-built completely. That goes for PSN and Discs.

Both consoles are almost certainly going to forgo backwards compatibility. I'm still going to have my 360 and PS3, so it isn't going to be a big deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As this generation showed there's a lot of money to be made in selling us the games we already own digitally. I doubt either company will jeopardise that moneyspring with backwards compatibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Both MS and Sony are changing cpu architecture so that would prohibit backward compatibility also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

May have been asked before, but do you think they'll allow PS3/360 controllers to be used?
    I know the PS3 pad doesn't had the touchpad but for local multiplayer games, I'm sure that wouldn't be a necessity

CastorTroy wrote: »
    May have been asked before, but do you think they'll allow PS3/360 controllers to be used?
    I know the PS3 pad doesn't had the touchpad but for local multiplayer games, I'm sure that wouldn't be a necessity
    I don't know that playing a new system on this gens controllers would be wise. The developers will be planning the control scheme on the basis of the controllers that come with the PS4/720 so playing with this gen controllers? I don't think it would be that great to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sony have already confirmed that PS3 controllers won't work on the PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Sony have already confirmed that PS3 controllers won't work on the PS4.
    How would that affect third party hardware like steering wheels? Those are pricey bits of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't want to have to get new arcade sticks either :(

Advertisement