Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Remember Orth? Dumb comments on always online? He got his walking papers.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/4210870/adam-orth-leaves-microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Was really thinking PS4 all the way until I saw this:

It really could be an amazing experience if utilised properly. Game changer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Issac wrote: »

TBH that seems very gimmicky and distracting to me.

What would really sell me is if one of the consoles supported the Oculus Rift as that genuinely does look like a game changer to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Got a 360 atm, it's never failed to keep me entertained. In the past i had the playstation, first version, then the psone, then the ps2 and even had a PsP - all of them gave me grief of some kind [I actually remember having to use a knife to pull up the laser on the psone every time I went to play it!]

On the other hand, I've also had the old xbox 1, a premium 360 and then the new, shiny black slim version. Not one issue over the 3, and many years of play. I think I'll stick with MS for now.

Nothing against Sony or the Ps3 .... just bad experiences, and the fact the xbox/360 has had some cracking games to itself, plus side by side, I actually think the 360 runs smoother ... enough for me.

ideally, any true gamer will go for both if they can afford to. I never get the whole fanboy side of it, like it matters, both will be great, either pick one, or both and have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

On the other hand, I've also had the old xbox 1, a premium 360 and then the new, shiny black slim version. Not one issue over the 3, and many years of play. I think I'll stick with MS for now.

Don't want to start a fanboy debate here but I actually think basing your decision on only your own experiences may be a bit silly.

It really seems like you've been incredibly unlucky with Playstation consoles and incredibly lucky with 360s.

I really think it's very difficult to overlook just how stupidly widespread the RROD was in the 360 years ago.

I imagine you only have to glance at some figures to see that Sony SHOULD make the more reliable console.

• Advertisement

Don't want to start a fanboy debate here but I actually think basing your decision on only your own experiences may be a bit silly.
    I've known plenty of people with disc reader problems with the PS and PS2. I can't say it is something I've heard much of with regard to the PS3 though I'm open to correction on that.
    It really seems like you've been incredibly unlucky with Playstation consoles and incredibly lucky with 360s.
    I'd certainly agree with the 360 part. I've had the RROD on my first 360, got it repaired (free, warranty being 3 years and all) but that started having disc reading problems and then a RROD. Bought a new 360 at that point and I've had it over 3 years now... The disc drive has started to give problems opening.

It's the console I've had the most problems with that I own myself. Between my brother and I, the consoles that have presented issues have been the PS2 with the disc reading, the PS3 with my brother getting a YLOD. I guess long story short is Nintendo have repeatedly shown themselves to be reliable with cnsole hardware.
    I really think it's very difficult to overlook just how stupidly widespread the RROD was in the 360 years ago.
    If you'll read the post again, there was more to what was being said than console reliablity. The games part does play its role, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

The xbox illumiRoom stuff would be amazing, if you had the right setup. A lot of people don't play games in the main living room. Main play in their office/room/etc - Meaning no coffee table.
    I know it's somewhat of a gimmick, but it does look good. However, it's only really an option for a very small portion of people. I can also see it as a huge distraction in certain games.

I don't plan on buying either of these consoles *right now* - I play the odd PC game, which has been keeping me happy for the past year or two. I'm overdue a good overhaul of my current system soon, which will leave any new console for dirt.
    I have a PS3 and 360 myself, both get played very rarely. Sony didn't blow me away with their new console, and I didn't expect them to. I don't expect Microsoft to do so either.

If someone made me pick one, I'd probably go for the new xbox, for the sole reason that I've had an xbox for years, and it's more then likely the console anyone I know will buy.

This new "Steambox" could be a really contender if it's done right! You will actually have everything from the get go. Consoles have always been slow to adopt new features. An example is the xbox 360 only get an internet browser a few months back, which is just plain stupid! I'm expecting it to be a contender to the dated console market. I can't see why anyone would turn it down to buy something that probably won't be able to do as much

I imagine you only have to glance at some figures to see that Sony SHOULD make the more reliable console.

Nah, not just my experience. Everyone I knew back then with a psone/2 had disc error issues. I do know some who have had the ol' RROD,but thankfully, not I.

Also, I added that I just found it better anyway. Afew of my mates have the ps3, and I don't hate them for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have had a 360 since launch and PS3 since a few months (maybe a year) after launch.

360 died on me MANY times - think it was sent back/replaced 9 or 10 times in total due to RROD. PS3 has never failed me, at all.

360 is still my favourite of the two consoles and I would pretty much always buy for 360 over PS3 - just prefer the console.

I would be leaning towards the 720 in the next generation but the always on internet talk is putting me off. I have a decent internet connection but it isn't 100% perfect and I'd be seriously pissed if the internet went down and that also stopped me from playing my console. If it requires always on internet i will more seriously consider the PS4. Also - the rumours on second hand games on the 720 being an issue, is an issue.

That is one thing I have problems with on the 360, the connection. Our router is in another room, it's since been upgraded to 50mb, but the wireless to 360 is still weak. I'm going to have to have UPC come move the connection to that room for better connection, hopefully. That's going to cost €60 - I would hope the 720 has way better wireless capabilities, especially if it's to be always on. If so, it wouldn't bother me, as Broadband is always on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

50mb :O that must be nice, I can get UP to 6mb where I live haha this country is a joke, always online wouldn't be a good idea, or at least not in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why would you buy an additional projector and then not use it as your main display?

Always on wouldn't be a good idea in almost all countries (if not literally all). I don't find the always online thing credible. At least, not in the way that is understood. I really don't see MS being stupid enough to go with a DRM for games whereby you have to be online to play games you buy. That's ridiculous. If there'll be anything on the console that requires an internet connection, I'd be inclined to bet it is something tangentially related, for example increasing the functionality of xbox.com where you can set downloads.

You have your console in a low powered state, and if you set something on xbox.com (I'm sure they'll advertise how you can do this from PC, laptop, smartphone - with a works better on Windows phone type marketing) and the console will download things even when you are away from the console. Maybe also will get system updates automatically. Wouldn't be surprised to see them roll out updates more sensibly - like in each region at a late hour so as to attempt not to cut in to gaming time.

It goes without saying that all of this is speculation, but I don't think such things are unreasonable. Anyone else care to speculate on what kind of things ye expect from the next gen? Oh, also, with regard to the things above, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS4 have something similar.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why would you buy an additional projector and then not use it as your main display?

Because a projector that could be used as a main display for next gen graphics would cost a whole lot more than this. This could be added to your existing home set-up relatively cheaply and could add greatly to the emersion experience of a game. I think it could be a big hit with the general public.
    This or an Oculus Rift type of experience, as Tok9 pointed out above, will really get peoples attention.

Because a projector that could be used as a main display for next gen graphics would cost a whole lot more than this. This could be added to your existing home set-up relatively cheaply and could add greatly to the emersion experience of a game. I think it could be a big hit with the general public.
    But what I saw in the video was it running through a separate projector. If it's running at VGA resolution then you can buy the projector cheap enough but it's still going to be into a couple of hundred euro for such a device and I don't think the price difference would be all that great compared to a 720 projector. Meaning you could have bought a 720 projector for a little more money and that could have been used for watching films as well as gaming.

It would only give a mild feeling of peripheral vision because it's not wrapping around you. It seems a lot of expense for a gimmick that you can only use at night time.

ScumLord wrote: »
    But what I saw in the video was it running through a separate projector. If it's running at VGA resolution then you can buy the projector cheap enough but it's still going to be into a couple of hundred euro for such a device and I don't think the price difference would be all that great compared to a 720 projector. Meaning you could have bought a 720 projector for a little more money and that could have been used for watching films as well as gaming.

It would only give a mild feeling of peripheral vision because it's not wrapping around you. It seems a lot of expense for a gimmick that you can only use at night time.

That's right the video is projected using a separate projector. With MS buying power and supply chain they could easily supply these quite cheaply - even take a hit on them to get more casual gamers drawn in. I do think it really would add to the gaming experience greatly if utilised properly but equally it could end up as just an expensive gimmick if developers don't get behind it.
    Would it use much of the consoles processing power to power the device?

Would it use much of the consoles processing power to power the device?
    It is a second image, so it'll have to be rendered on top of the the main image. Even if it's a low quality render it's going to slow things down, which may make it a non runner in some more CPU intensive games.

If there's the slight chance it won't be usable on the majority of games then it's production runs would be fairly low making it expensive.

Does the xbox even have a second display port? If this was just an optional thing you could do if you have a projector lying around it might be a runner for some people but you're still going to have to sacrifice your projector and point it at your TV. For the most part a projector and a large TV won't live in the same room if both are owned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That is one thing I have problems with on the 360, the connection. Our router is in another room, it's since been upgraded to 50mb, but the wireless to 360 is still weak. I'm going to have to have UPC come move the connection to that room for better connection, hopefully. That's going to cost €60 - I would hope the 720 has way better wireless capabilities, especially if it's to be always on. If so, it wouldn't bother me, as Broadband is always on anyway.

Get something like these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A430576031%2Ck%3Aplug+network&keywords=plug+network&ie=UTF8&qid=1367352904&rnid=1642204031&ajr=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

- I would hope the 720 has way better wireless capabilities, especially if it's to be always on. If so, it wouldn't bother me, as Broadband is always on anyway.

Will it bother you when your old games stop working? Oh that's right, DRM servers stay on long past the first profitable years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Was really thinking PS4 all the way until I saw this

This looked amazing as well:

Let's wait to see what the final product looks like. My guess is we'll be waiting a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I don`t know if its my 3DS love but reading the rumors etc about the Xbox is tempting me to buy a WiiU. Looking at my massive games collection(100+) I realise how much I buy is 3rd party stuff,I wouldn`t really miss any 1st party title like Uncharted, Gears, Halo or LBP and thats not knocking them its just that i`d miss the likes of FIFA, Batman and stuff like BioShock or Tomb Raider more.

I'm going to get a Wii U, but it isn't going to be for third party for the most part. Sure, there'll be Bayonetta 2, and any JRPGs that are good if any get made for it, but primarily, I see the reason for owning a Nintendo console is for their first party stuff. I'd suggest leaving it a year if third party stuff is your main concern in case lots of stuff you'd want don't get made for it. Though, again, if the first party is doing enough for you, as I hope it will, will be watching E3 with interest then go ahead sooner.

Edit: They aren't going to have a conference at E3. Just remembered that. They'll be going with Nintendo Direct. Well, I'll be watching out for that. Whenever that'll be.

GTR63 wrote: »
    I don`t know if its my 3DS love but reading the rumors etc about the Xbox is tempting me to buy a WiiU. Looking at my massive games collection(100+) I realise how much I buy is 3rd party stuff,I wouldn`t really miss any 1st party title like Uncharted, Gears, Halo or LBP and thats not knocking them its just that i`d miss the likes of FIFA, Batman and stuff like BioShock or Tomb Raider more.

That is one of the more unusual reasons to buy a Wii U imo.

I don't have one but I'm sure I'll pick it up in a year or 2 so I can play Nintendos first party games as the majority of them will be designed specifically for the Wii U.

On the other hand, I can't imagine 3rd party games being any better on a Wii U since the hardware specs will be outdated by the time the PS4 and Next Xbox come out.

So if you're thinking of getting a console for multi platform titles, i'd suggest not getting the Wii U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

tok9 wrote: »
    That is one of the more unusual reasons to buy a Wii U imo.

I don't have one but I'm sure I'll pick it up in a year or 2 so I can play Nintendos first party games as the majority of them will be designed specifically for the Wii U.

On the other hand, I can't imagine 3rd party games being any better on a Wii U since the hardware specs will be outdated by the time the PS4 and Next Xbox come out.

So if you're thinking of getting a console for multi platform titles, i'd suggest not getting the Wii U.
    Its more that I ain`t interested in the first party titles for the next gen than anything, its the likes of the Witcher III & Watch-Dogs that caught my eye. Reading that MS supposedly have lined up Respawns new game as a 1st party title just gets a huge meh from me.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Its more that I ain`t interested in the first party titles for the next gen than anything, its the likes of the Witcher III & Watch-Dogs that caught my eye. Reading that MS supposedly have lined up Respawns new game as a 1st party title just gets a huge meh from me.

Maybe I didn't understand your post so.

Are you just saying none of the 1st or 3rd party games interest you for Ps4/Xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Getting a Wii U for third party only is a terrible idea, you might as well just keep any PS3 or 360 you already have as most of the 3rd party games will be ports from those consoles.

There's not many out yet but those that are are not getting as much support, no DLC or missing features from some and a few developers have outright said they've no plans to bring their game to the Wii U (that could change at any time for each game but still).

This has been posted over in the Xbox section, but figured I'd post it here too so others could see it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/next-xbox-confirmed-to-work-without-internet-per-internal-microsoft-email?CID=examiner_alerts_article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

New xbox could be delayed until 2014 because of blu-ray licensing

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-Infinity-Blu-ray-Xbox-720-Windows-8-2014,news-16999.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, good news that Xbox wont need full time online connectivity, but that does not mean it was not designed in the first place. the public backlash just made them reconsider it.

As for delays on new xbox, thats interesting. Is there other format MS could use? Sony might pull this off and secure holiday season just for themselfs. I wonder how much that will put them ahead.

Advertisement