Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If they have gotten this far into development, and have only now discovered an issue with BluRay licencing...someone is getting fired.

Though i'd rather see it delayed, then released with no good games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm surprised Microsoft aren't going with a different format to bluray, surely Sony will try and use this to their advantage.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Though i'd rather see it delayed, then released with no good games.

I assume you mean 'than' because what you said sounds horrible :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sure why would i want games on my new entertainment centre :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

New xbox could be delayed until 2014 because of blu-ray licensing

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-Infinity-Blu-ray-Xbox-720-Windows-8-2014,news-16999.html

Given that they've already got their advertising in place, booked and ready to go for a launch this year, I'm inclined to say that article is complete horse****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I always used to be an xbox man, having the original and the 360 elite, but over the last few years I have come around to the Sony way of thinking and my 360 is gathering dust. I'll probably get a PS4 after a year or so once its built a nice catalog up.

The main points where it wins are based on past performance of both consoles

Hardware wise I think Sony have an edge, probably as they do so much, Microsoft on the other hand made little up until recently. The original 360 was a heap of junk, even taking the RROD aside, the amount of noise the fans and dvd drive generated was obscene, and that massive power brick nearly took my foot off many times when moving the yoke. I know they have had 8 years to improve there game, but having to replace my xbox twice from RROD's still lingers in my mind. I know of course the PS3 had its own trouble like the YLOD, but it seems much less widespread, almost everybody I knew with a 1st gen 360 had to replace it within 3 years ! I think this Gen it will probably be less of a issue with similar components, but its still possible to wreck everything with a cheap cooler, bad PSU or dodgy solder !

PSN vs Live is an obvious one, I don't think they have kept up with the times, and its crazy to have to PAY to use subscription services like netflix. It doesn't help that you still get blitzed with Ads and if you have no interest in multiplayer its not worth it. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they counter it in the next year or so, but that is really dependent on there current subscribers and if they think it will be a deciding factor for the next xbox.

I think the PS4 may have a more interesting catalog (for me) with the Japan factor.

Finally Sony seem to be more media centric than Microsoft with there consoles which is a nice plus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Eathrin wrote: »
    I'm surprised Microsoft aren't going with a different format to bluray, surely Sony will try and use this to their advantage.

I assume you mean 'than' because what you said sounds horrible :P

You couldn't really say they 'own' blu-ray in any significant way any more, although they probably remain the main financial beneficiary of the consortium there isn't anything they can to their advantage except posked a few dollars for every 360 (Which isn't a bad place to be in for them:)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

marco_polo wrote: »
    You couldn't really say they 'own' blu-ray in any significant way any more, although they probably remain the main financial beneficiary of the consortium there isn't anything they can to their advantage except posked a few dollars for every 360 (Which isn't a bad place to be in for them:)).

Sony would be top 2 for every € that the Blu-ray Disc Association get, out of the group Sony get the lion's share on every disc with Panasonic getting more on players. Philips comes in 3rd and are ahead of the rest of the group.

The rumour going around is that Sony have some exclusivity on consoles and that's slowing down the next xbox but that would seem to violate frand/rand agreements. When companies come together to make a new standard there's a lot of guarantees both legislative and between each other so as they can't abuse their position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Good news from the Sony front: http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/467668/20130515/playstation-4-release-date-delay-launch-specs.htm#.UZQmbLW-mvs

They're saying they're looking to release it in multiple regions this year, so those fears we'd not see it here till next year look to be ill founded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Why chose when you can have both :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Good news from the Sony front: http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/467668/20130515/playstation-4-release-date-delay-launch-specs.htm#.UZQmbLW-mvs

They're saying they're looking to release it in multiple regions this year, so those fears we'd not see it here till next year look to be ill founded.

That article doesn't actually provide anything additional so I won't be counting on it until Sony make a comment.

• Advertisement

Sounds like we should be holding our real anticipations for what is to come from MS to E3 rather than to the 21st reveal.

http://www.examiner.com/article/next-xbox-reveal-to-be-about-the-platform-e3-will-be-tons-of-exclusives?CID=examiner_alerts_article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

No matter which one I buy, I'm basically choosing which bloated, hypermarketed bit of quasi-PC I want gathering dust in the corner of my living room 'til there's something to play on'em. Well, aside from the glorified tech-demos that clutter a console's first 18 months.

Oh, and if for some reason I do have a bout of mania, and find myself in possession of a console around launch, I'll look forward to having my every online experience relating to it dotted with the chargrinned moans of folk who've apparently never, and I do mean never, experienced a new system and the arid plains that is its release-catalogue.

TL;DR: Both, most likely, after the slew of games come a-rollin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    No matter which one I buy, I'm basically choosing which bloated, hypermarketed bit of quasi-PC I want gathering dust in the corner of my living room 'til there's something to play on'em. Well, aside from the glorified tech-demos that clutter a console's first 18 months.

Oh, and if for some reason I do have a bout of mania, and find myself in possession of a console around launch, I'll look forward to having my every online experience relating to it dotted with the chargrinned moans of folk who've apparently never, and I do mean never, experienced a new system and the arid plains that is its release-catalogue.

TL;DR: Both, most likely, after the slew of games come a-rollin'.

This is kind of true. With the current generation, it was at least a year for each the PS3 and the Xbox 360 before they got any good games. Better to wait it out a little imo and see how each one is shaping up, on top of the fact that it will be cheaper after launch. Good time to be a PC gamer; get all the shiny new graphics without needing to buy one of the consoles straight away.

A lot of the factor will be social too. Not social networking or anything, just buying whatever friends buy. Right now I have a PS3 but all my friends in college play Xbox. I bought the PS3 for the Blu-ray but they're both getting that now so I could easily go either way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

C14N wrote: »
    I bought the PS3 for the Blu-ray but they're both getting that now so I could easily go either way.

There is a lot of doubt as to whether the next xbox will blu-ray films available - costs/license.

It will have games on blu-ray disks just not films*.

*That's the general concensus, more will be known at the next xbox reveal.

So don't get rid of your playstation console just yet.

F1ngers wrote: »
    There is a lot of doubt as to whether the next xbox will blu-ray films available - costs/license.

I'd suggest hanging on to the PS3 in either case as the PS4 isn't going to be backwards compatible. I think its safe to say the same applies with the 360. I'll be hanging on to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

C14N wrote: »
    This is kind of true. With the current generation, it was at least a year for each the PS3 and the Xbox 360 before they got any good games. .

The 360 had a good line up straight off the bat, one of the best in fact for any console. The PS3 was left wanting for about a year for a few decent games.

This time though there will be alot of cross gen games at the start. We will have Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, Splinter Cell Black List and the next Call of Duty (Ghosts) on this gen and next gen consoles at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

PS3 was difficult for some developers to get to grips with, hence the slow start. There's no reason why strong titles shouldn't come out much more quickly next gen.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    PS3 was difficult for some developers to get to grips with, hence the slow start. There's no reason why strong titles shouldn't come out much more quickly next gen.
    That only speaks to the quality of ports to expect rather than the length of development cycle, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The 360 had a good line up straight off the bat, one of the best in fact for any console. The PS3 was left wanting for about a year for a few decent games.

This time though there will be alot of cross gen games at the start. We will have Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, Splinter Cell Black List and the next Call of Duty (Ghosts) on this gen and next gen consoles at the same time.

I can't remember the 360 getting any big exclusives before Gears of War, what was there. A lot of the games on it for the first year were just upscaled ports of previous-gen games since PS2 was still where the money was at the time.

I'm pretty sure all of the games you've mentioned will be on the current-gen consoles too so I can't see there being a massive push to get a new system before the year is out.
    F1ngers wrote: »

Okay noted. It would be good if MS got the Blu-ray movies though, it would probably help bring the format a bit further into the mainstream. It probably will mean I'll have to get a BD drive for my PC too though if all games are going to start taking 25-50GB of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sony getting a dig in
    Also - If you haven't seen our #PS4 teaser video, where have you been?! As it's a slow news day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking, even though I'm not a FPS or online player, a good idea for the new XBox would be to allow keyboard and mouse use as well as play online with PC gamers. I know the 360 had 1 or 2 games that could cross play with PC, but they should try to expand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sony getting a dig in

It's escalating haha

316165_10152816166980694_1872852861_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Microsoft charging for online play again this generation will be a deal breaker for me.

(How do you do that embed a tweet on the page?)

https://twitter.com/AceyBongos/statuses/336866592627503105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Microsoft charging for online play again this generation will be a deal breaker for me.
    They currently have 46M Gold subscribers. Conservatively speaking that's $1.89b per annum (46m x $45) in revenue they receive. There's no way in hell they're just going to give that up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pushtrak wrote: »
    (How do you do that embed a tweet on the page?)

https://twitter.com/AceyBongos/statuses/336866592627503105

It's an image ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

gizmo wrote: »
    They currently have 46M Gold subscribers. Conservatively speaking that's $1.89b per annum (46m x $45) in revenue they receive. There's no way in hell they're just going to give that up.

True but I think that trying to carry that €50 a year charge over is going to be a tough sell. When the 360 was launched it was easy to justify because their online service was light years ahead of anyone else's but over the course of the current generation, Sony caught up and with PS+ massively surpassed them.

Five, six years ago that €50 a year represented decent value as the Xbox Live service was far, far better than anything Sony could offer but that's just not true now. Anyone buying a console now has to factor in that extra cost and they currently don't get anything of real value for that yearly subscription fee.

I pay the yearly Gold sub because I have a 360 and want to play online but with two new consoles set to be released, if one charges me to play online and the other doesn't, it makes my decision that bit easier to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

True but I think that trying to carry that €50 a year charge over is going to be a tough sell. When the 360 was launched it was easy to justify because their online service was light years ahead of anyone else's but over the course of the current generation, Sony caught up and with PS+ massively surpassed them.

Five, six years ago that €50 a year represented decent value as the Xbox Live service was far, far better than anything Sony could offer but that's just not true now. Anyone buying a console now has to factor in that extra cost and they currently don't get anything of real value for that yearly subscription fee.
    I certainly agree, but Live membership has continued to rise year on year (18% last year) so some folk must think it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I get Gold free from my ISP, so I don't really care.

Advertisement