Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was thinking, even though I'm not a FPS or online player, a good idea for the new XBox would be to allow keyboard and mouse use as well as play online with PC gamers. I know the 360 had 1 or 2 games that could cross play with PC, but they should try to expand it.

The PS3 worked with the PC for Portal 2 though, which I think was a bit more successful since it didn't require a subscription like the MS ones did.
    gizmo wrote: »
    They currently have 46M Gold subscribers. Conservatively speaking that's $1.89b per annum (46m x $45) in revenue they receive. There's no way in hell they're just going to give that up.

They'll give it a go anyway. If it doesn't work out then they'll go the way of so many MMOs and make it free to play.

Honestly, everyone's down on the new Xbox but I'd say wait until E3. My biggest problem is that it just looks confusing and alienating for a non-US and non-high speed internet audience. I just don't give a shyt about most of the stuff they mentioned. I can't call anyone on Skype, I can't stream TV or movies, I'm not going to be watching ESPN.

Was the problem with playing Blu-rays mentioned? I missed the first 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

MS are a joke, what a bs show... one is gonna fail hard, apart from maybe in the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    ah crap ya!

Hope it's not timed exclusive. I want it ASAP on PS4, MS can keep their crappy DLC deals.

They said exclusive for xbox i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

It may be preemptive, but based on what I just read while sitting on a bus, I feel comfortable answering 'based on the evidence, not Xbox One, that's for damn sure' to the question posed in thread title.

Same thought ran through my head. I'll probably wait a year or so to pick up either of them. Depending on the controller, I may pick a controller up for PC.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Microsoft in terms of getting exclusive games on their system and first party software development have been a joke for the last few years and really let Sony turn the complete disaster of the PS3 into a much better console than the 360.

Looks like they aren't changing for the next XBox.

People might laugh but for me the WiiU in terms of good games coming to the system looks like a far better machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Burgo wrote: »

WHAT! There is no chance 4 big sports games are xbox exclusive???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Burgo wrote: »

They said something about Fifa Ultimate Team being exclusive (so new hats)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair to Microsoft, they're basically just zoning in on a huge percentage of their market base, predominantly a US one (FIFA being the only vaguely international thing mentioned) - not the kind of enthusiast, demanding gamers who will talk about games on general message boards.

It all makes an awful lot of commercial sense, but the kind of sense that will alienate the niche, dedicated gamer unless they have serious big guns lined up for E3. I get the strong impression that's not who MS are aiming for, though, and can't say Im surprised.

For all Sony's underwhelming presentations a few months ago, alongside their generic space shooters at least they made a vocal commitment to the kind of interesting, imaginative games Microsoft basically just very purposefully ignored.

hahahahah I'd take the online pass any day over this. Hope PS3 isn't this harsh.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/
    Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

eenie meanie miney Sony

• Advertisement

hahahahah I'd take the online pass any day over this. Hope PS3 isn't this harsh.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Wow, I can't imagine this working out well. They all like to go on about how their new console's will be "social" and so on and yet now you can't play your game at a friend's house, which is one of the few social features I've ever actually used in a game.

Actually, just looking at sales figures there, I see that while Xbox clearly wins out over PS3 in it's homeland of the USA (even coming close to the Wii for sales), it was beaten down in the other major regions. It looks like MS are becoming more inert and just trying to satisfy the existing audience which I think could be very bad for games on their system in the long run if they keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

C14N wrote: »
    Wow, I can't imagine this working out well. They all like to go on about how their new console's will be "social" and so on and yet now you can't play your game at a friend's house, which is one of the few social features I've ever actually used in a game.

They talked about your profile being everywhere so maybe you can temporarily active it from your own account when bringing it to a friends or something

I mean it will be interesting to see how this combats how easy xbox games were to get from torrents but yeah, the end of swapping games with friends and 2nd hand sales down the drain depending on how bad the fee is. If the fee is a tenner, then 2nd hand games won't be worth it. Gamestop might as well go out of business now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, we dont know Sony's take on this, but that already wrote off Xbox completely from my list of stuff to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,711 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Looks like another ten years of PC Gaming for this guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

5uVW6c.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Microsoft have shifted away from gaming and are looking at the integrated entertainment market now. This reveal was pretty much what I expected from the direction the company is going.

Also on the always online thing ?

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A : No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection

So it needs an internet connection just not always on..... I Think.

Chinpool wrote: »
    They talked about your profile being everywhere so maybe you can temporarily active it from your own account when bringing it to a friends or something

Maybe. I wonder if the game can be installed on the HDD does that mean you could just give it away and keep using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I like to think this was timed with a message to gamestop asking them if they liked apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Whilst it's a ****ty direction to go, it could be useful.

Friend A buys the game for €60 and installs on their XBox.

Friend B borrows the game and pays €10 (or whatever) to install it on their system. Friend B gets the full game at a much lower price?

Even if they split the costs it still works out cheaper. Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I have a feeling a lot of these "innovative" features they showed today will be mainly for the american market and wont work outside of the US. I doubt I can brag about my standings on the boards fantasy F1 league on it :p

No in game footage at all shown except for a multi platform game running on a pc in the background of a devs office. Which doesn't count.

The only thing microsoft done better than sony was actually show the laser disc player :eek: i mean xbox one :p

As for COD ghost wow you can vault and slide hmm where have i seen those moves before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

After watching both launches, I think I'll go for the Xbox first.

Still gonna build a new gaming PC though :D

Though it'll partially depend on which console BF4 runs better on. (I know I'll have it on PC aswell).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jaggy wrote: »
    Whilst it's a ****ty direction to go, it could be useful.

Friend A buys the game for €60 and installs on their XBox.

Friend B borrows the game and pays €10 (or whatever) to install it on their system. Friend B gets the full game at a much lower price?

Even if they split the costs it still works out cheaper. Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?

I'm pretty sure if you did that your friend would have the game and you'd be left with a disc unless you were willing to pay 10 euro again to activate it on your system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if you did that your friend would have the game and you'd be left with a disc unless you were willing to pay 10 euro again to activate it on your system.

Oh, so Friend B activating it on their system deactivates it on the first you think?

Jaggy wrote: »
    Oh, so Friend B activating it on their system deactivates it on the first you think?

Yes unless you think MS think it's a good idea to let people get new games for a tenner from their friends.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It will probably just be a case of needing to have the disc in to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Seeing as we're pulling stuff out of thin air....
    I think it sends a microsoft hit squad to your house to murder you and your loved ones.

Yes unless you think MS think it's a good idea to let people get new games for a tenner from their friends.

Well that depends on the fee I guess. As the last poster said, I pulled that from thin air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You still need the disk so you can give it to your friend and he can activate it but you can't keep playing unless you get a disk too. I would imagine that is how it will work rather than each disk being a single traceable entity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Seeing as we're pulling stuff out of thin air....
    I think it sends a microsoft hit squad to your house to murder you and your loved ones.
    It isn't being pulled from nowhere. It can only be active on one account, seemingly, so activating on one would disactivate the other. You seem to think this is a radical concept.

Advertisement