Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

The possible deal breaker for me is this bull**** fee on a pre-owned game. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.
    I'm hoping i'll be able to get a lend of the disk from a friend, install it and buy a pass, saving me a good amount of money.
    However, I'm expecting that we'll both need the disk, in the drive for anything to happen, meaning that option won't be possible.
    That also means stores like gamestop are in even bigger trouble. Pre-owned games were huge money makers.
    Microsoft really shoot themselves in the foot with that one. Definitely up there with always on DRM ****e for me. I'm expecting the worst from this pre-owned fee thing. I hope Sony takes note of how it's already causing an uproar and avoids anything similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It isn't being pulled from nowhere. It can only be active on one account, seemingly, so activating on one would disactivate the other. You seem to think this is a radical concept.

First, Disactivate isn't a word.
    Secondly, this is still idle speculation.

What we do know is this:
    • On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play.
    • that if a disc is used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

Nowhere does it say anything about "disactivating" games.
    Everything else, is people reaching deep into their asses, having a good rummage and pulling out whatever nugget they lay their hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mister Man wrote: »
    The possible deal breaker for me is this bull**** fee on a pre-owned game. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.
    I'm hoping i'll be able to get a lend of the disk from a friend, install it and buy a pass, saving me a good amount of money.
    However, I'm expecting that we'll both need the disk, in the drive for anything to happen, meaning that option won't be possible.
    That also means stores like gamestop are in even bigger trouble. Pre-owned games were huge money makers.
    Microsoft really shoot themselves in the foot with that one. Definitely up there with always on DRM ****e for me. I'm expecting the worst from this pre-owned fee thing. I hope Sony takes note of how it's already causing an uproar and avoids anything similar

100% sure as soon as you will activate game on second console it will take all the rights of the first console to that game. We are talking about console which heavily relies on internet connection. So it will be easy for then implement.
    No freaking way Microsoft will let you get 2 copies of game running for 1 games price + 10 EU. We are talking about company who charges you for playing your games online here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

First, Disactivate isn't a word.

What are you talking about? Its a perfectly cromulant word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I will most likely buy both. As far as excitement goes what will swing it for me is the exclusive titles. PS4 has certainly got me interested with their developer centric and indie friendly approach. I need to hear about these new 8 IP's MS have lined up for the first year before I make a final judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

100% sure as soon as you will activate game on second console it will take all the rights of the first console to that game. We are talking about console which heavily relies on internet connection. So it will be easy for then implement.
    No freaking way Microsoft will let you get 2 copies of game running for 1 games price + 10 EU. We are talking about company who charges you for playing your games online here.

I would imagine the "fee" might be equivalent to the actual price of the game (or thereabouts?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2925730255930739103/
    Battlefield 4 will be available 10/29/2013 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Driving the next-gen experience is Frostbite 3, the only game engine that brings you a true next-generation experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bambi wrote: »
    I would imagine the "fee" might be equivalent to the actual price of the game (or thereabouts?)

Uh, I can only imagine. If they will stick with Xbox marketplace pricing. When you could get halo 3 for 5eu in any GameStop ms charged 79.99eu for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No point getting hopes up, they'll be on in a bit to say that those dates are not next gen and it was a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wonder if the lend to a mate thing could be solved by downloading your profile to a friends console (kinect facial recognition matched to profile as the console already does). A pain if you never actually go round to your mates house to play games - but for playing party games at a mates it should be a workable solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wonder if the lend to a mate thing could be solved by downloading your profile to a friends console (kinect facial recognition matched to profile as the console already does). A pain if you never actually go round to your mates house to play games - but for playing party games at a mates it should be a workable solution.

Why did I think of that awful Face Off movie just then....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Varik wrote: »
    No point getting hopes up, they'll be on in a bit to say that those dates are not next gen and it was a mistake.

Who cares once its out on the master race platform cough pc cough on that dates that all that matters :rolleyes:

Only messing no flame war please :) I thought EA were supposed to show BF4 at this as well

UPDATE: Microsoft says in an official Q&A: "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later."
    http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Xbox looks good, not sure how it stacks against a PC. Exclusivity really does hook me in

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

*RANT BELOW*
    So the whole live tv is a US only at launch. Not that I care about it much, but I mean, why push it, if you can't ****ing release it world wide? Pointless. Whats wrong with the Sky app, as is, on the 360? I've been able to watch live tv for the past 3 odd years at this stage, why is it all of a sudden a big thing in a reveal, and then it's announced to be US only at launch?

Also, the console will not work if the kinect sensor isn't connected to the console. Another wonderful addition... Personally, I've never liked this whole kinect thing. It doesn't suit everyone's setup. Not everyone wants to play in the living room. Not everyone has a big enough room for that ****e. Not everyone gives a **** about motion-sensor games. The kinect sensor is included in the purchase of a Xbox One, so you're basically being forced to pay for something many people don't want to have, and don't want to use.

I've just heard that Sony's stock has gone up by 10% after the reveal of the xbox one.

Honestly, did Microsoft really think this was a good console? So many pointless stuff that they're pawning off as a new innovation. Multi-tasking is all of a sudden new. Skype on an xbox? More a less the same controller from since the first xbox? I could honestly go on a longer rant here, so many flaws. The fee for pre-owned games is on the same level as a DRM, for me. Can easily see the Xbox turning into a flop. Sticking with the PC or PS4 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

What are you talking about? Its a perfectly cromulant word.

It embiggens the wildest speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Microsoft can fúck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Better idea: don't support a console that makes you jump through hoops to play your own games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It will probably just be a case of needing to have the disc in to play.
    You still need the disk so you can give it to your friend and he can activate it but you can't keep playing unless you get a disk too. .
    Mister Man wrote: »

The CVG article said that MS confirmed that once the game was installed, you would not need the disc in the drive to play it, like on most PC games.

It'll be interesting to see what the second "activation" fee is and how it affects the original player. It could be that they expect you to pay their store price to activate the game (which, like PSN, is usually insanely high compared to retail). Also how it will work on different accounts on the same console (it won't affect me much any more but my younger brother and I used to sign in on separate profiles on the PS3 for separate saves).

I really hope this generation doesn't kill retail because that would be horrible for gamers. The prices they expect us to pay for a direct download are far higher than shop prices. I've seen plenty of stuff going for €70 on the PSN store. I haven't seen one cross €60 in a bricks and mortar shop in my life.

Also, it requires an internet connection (but not always on) and will play Blu Ray movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

YAY! Conflicting statements!

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336936354913071104

"You will not have to pay a *fee*. I can confirm that those reports are wrong"

Of course they could be wrong themselves.

MS need to clarify the situation, officially, quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Bit early for that to mean anything, who knows what E3 will bring. Xbox games could blow Sony out of the water or vice versa

Tbh though what were people expecting? How much more can this new console bring other than with something like kinect. Games will be similar, just a bit shinier, but will evolve later in the products cycle. Most release titles for the 360 were dull compared to what came later IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Apparently people watching the stream of the reveal on their Xbox with their Kinect connected kept getting cut off from the stream as it responded to the commands that were being given at the presentation, hearing it over the tv speakers.

How long do you think it will take griefers to cover up the mic on their kinects and join an online game screaming "Xbox off" over their headsets? Obviously it would only people not using a headset that would be effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

YAY! Conflicting statements!

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336936354913071104

"You will not have to pay a *fee*. I can confirm that those reports are wrong"

Of course they could be wrong themselves.

MS need to clarify the situation, officially, quickly.

The Twitter is wrong, not the original quote. Harrison knows what he's talking about, and he was quite clear about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Oh man, Micro$oft have really lost their way.

There is nothing, I mean nothing, that excites me about the XBOX ONE.
    Their slogan should be Greed Is Good, because that's all I see.
    It deserves to flop, bigtime.

Moon54 wrote: »
    Oh man, Micro$oft have really lost their way.

There is nothing, I mean nothing, that excites me about the XBOX ONE.
    Their slogan should be Greed Is Good, because that's all I see.
    It deserves to flop, bigtime.
    Wait for E3. This show was about unveiling the platform, E3 will be about the games. They have "15 exclusives to be released in year 1 of platform, 8 of which are new IPs". This has been linked to several times already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wait for E3. This show was about unveiling the platform, E3 will be about the games. They have "15 exclusives to be released in year 1 of platform, 8 of which are new IPs". This has been linked to several times already.

I'd be very surprised if more than 3/4's of those exclusives aren't kinect games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if more than 3/4's of those exclusives aren't kinect games.
    Honestly, yeah, I'm taking a apprehensive approach to it. I mean, Microsoft Game Studios... How high a caliber are people expecting? I don't know, but we'll see. The bigger issue to me by far right now is this utter BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I love games like Bioshock Infinate, Far Cry 3, Battlefield etc, but my bread and butter is FIFA and Madden which I play every day, I love almost every sport, and am an avid sports gamer, so the Xbox reveal, to me, screamed that the major sports games will be better on Xbox. I couldn't believe it, it almost never happens that sports games are featured at these things, and while it may be scoffed at by the "gamer elite", I was delighted to see so much sport integration. That said, I was also disappointed they didn't show any other games, they literally said: FIFA, Madden, NBA, UFC, Forza and Call of Duty at launch... Oh yeah and 15 other games. That seemed really weird to me. Another odd aspect was how they made such a big deal about a worldwide reveal, and made is so US oriented in the end. They surely would have known the World was watching. It just seemed really strange.

Strange reveal aside, with the sports titles I love as launch focus, and with my friends list build up on Xbox Live, I can see myself buying the Xbox at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Ye guys are always the same, giving out about lack of games, apps and the direction that Microsoft are taking with the console and that we just want it to play games bla bla yet everyday on my friends list more people are watching SKY or Netflix than playing games.

E3 should keep ye happy for a while.

Advertisement