Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ye guys are always the same, giving out about lack of games, apps and the direction that Microsoft are taking with the console and that we just want it to play games bla bla yet everyday on my friends list more people are watching SKY or Netflix than playing games.

E3 should keep ye happy for a while.

That stuff is all fine and dandy for the "other things the box does" column, but it's not the kind of thing you dedicate 45 minutes of the console unveiling to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ye guys are always the same, giving out about lack of games, apps and the direction that Microsoft are taking with the console and that we just want it to play games bla bla yet everyday on my friends list more people are watching SKY or Netflix than playing games.

E3 should keep ye happy for a while.
    I had been looking forward to E3. I'm not so much now. The always online has been confirmed. Well, not *always* 'just' once every 24 hours. I've posted everywhere that I couldn't see them doing it because it would be such a dumb move.

Edit: I do agree with the spirit of your point though. Of course they were going to cater for the Netflix, media, extra functionality crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Problem I have is all this stuff costs money to develop and implement, and adds to the retail price at the end of the day. I don't want to gesture/voice control my console, I'm fine using a controller but now I'm being railroaded into having kinect in the same way some genius at microsoft thought it was ok to put a tablet interface on a desktop system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yup, I hate the kinect (and all those motion control trinkets, thank you Nintendo), so the idea of having something like that an integral part of the console, urgh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can't wait to watch Microsofts e3 conference and cringe repeatedly at the actors onstage playing with Kinect. It was bad last year, but will be 10 times worse this year, as you just know every single game will feature it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So looks like MS are employing CD keys for new games:

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

With this and the not really alway online but every so often online confirmed now I think this is just ridiculous by MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

The thing that annoys me most about this is the fact that no matter if all the talk is true, no matter if it's as bad as people are saying or even worse, there will still be clowns who buy it. I don't care about it all that much, I just won't buy it, but you know others will. And probably a lot of them too. And inevitably, after enough of the consumer bots have snapped it up, it'll be standard to have all sorts of nonsense incorporated into your "home entertainment device" (sponsored by Doritos, now in asshóle flavour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

taytothief wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me most about this is the fact that no matter if all the talk is true, no matter if it's as bad as people are saying or even worse, there will still be clowns who buy it. I don't care about it all that much, I just won't buy it, but you know others will. And probably a lot of them too. And inevitably, after enough of the consumer bots have snapped it up, it'll be standard to have all sorts of nonsense incorporated into your "home entertainment device" (sponsored by Doritos, now in asshóle flavour).
    Yeah, you want taytos, not doritos, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Yeah, you want taytos, not doritos, right?
    Is that the flavour of that new bar? No wonder people hate it so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

taytothief wrote: »

I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox 360, I'll wait and see with this but after 5 or 6 years of playing on xbox live I have come to trust that MS will provide an excellent service that suits what I am looking for even if I don't use Kinnect. Don't see how with the limited and conflicting information that is available that people can make a definitive judgement and such dickish comments like yours above add nothing to the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Liam O wrote: »
    such dickish comments like yours above add nothing to the debate.

It added enough to make you post about how delighted you are with your xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Got an email from zavvi who are taking pre-orders. Looks like its €499.99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Burgo wrote: »
    Got an email from zavvi who are taking pre-orders. Looks like its €499.99

It's a placeholder price until the real price is announced by MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox 360, I'll wait and see with this but after 5 or 6 years of playing on xbox live I have come to trust that MS will provide an excellent service that suits what I am looking for even if I don't use Kinnect. Don't see how with the limited and conflicting information that is available that people can make a definitive judgement and such dickish comments like yours above add nothing to the debate.

You can also get an excellent service from sony without the online fee.

Unwillingness to consider change is what makes one a fanboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Yeah i gathered, still a rough price point to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

:pac:

eHsitKx.jpg

That's almost certainly going to be the real price

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You can also get an excellent service from sony without the online fee.

Unwillingness to consider change is what makes one a fanboy.

You're saying this to someone who bought a PSP on day 1 because he thought that playstations were the best thing ever. I was in a similar position to the one I'm in now back then, no reason to complain with Sony until the bad pricing and online issues that let them down at the start. I'll consider change when I'm given a proper reason to. This reveal or the playstation's one hasn't changed my rating of them. Microsoft gave me the DLC for GTA earlier than the PS3, if a similar thing is happening with full games then I'm going to stick with them until Sony offer me something that is irresistible.

But sure, let's not wait for comprehensive facts before proclaiming the crappiness of something. People complain about gamestop ripping them off on trade ins and then complain about something that could make a fairer market and encourage new game sales that result in more funding for games and not gamestop profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You're saying this to someone who bought a PSP on day 1 because he thought that playstations were the best thing ever. I was in a similar position to the one I'm in now back then, no reason to complain with Sony until the bad pricing and online issues that let them down at the start. I'll consider change when I'm given a proper reason to. This reveal or the playstation's one hasn't changed my rating of them. Microsoft gave me the DLC for GTA earlier than the PS3, if a similar thing is happening with full games then I'm going to stick with them until Sony offer me something that is irresistible.

But sure, let's not wait for comprehensive facts before proclaiming the crappiness of something. People complain about gamestop ripping them off on trade ins and then complain about something that could make a fairer market and encourage new game sales that result in more funding for games and not gamestop profits.

You do realise that you got gta doc not because Microsoft said: "please! Make a doc for Xbox!". You got dlc for gta first, because Microsoft payed to have it first and exclusive. If Microsoft would not had sticker it's dick then we would have dlc out on all platforms.

All love to bitch about gamestop, but I wonder what will everyone will do when it will be gone too? No competition and publishers will be charging you as much as they feel like it. Love the Sony and Xbox online game prices? Well those Will be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭blackwave

Hmm Microsoft pushing their console as being a entertainment system foremost, where did I see that before oh yeah my pc :rolleyes: Aso did Sony market the PS3 initially as being a entertainment system foremost until it had a poor launch.

Overall I reckon the Xbox one is mostly meh, wont get the new console for a year or two after launch, going to wait on a few prices drops first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

ZnNmEct.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭circadian

So looks like MS are employing CD keys for new games:

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

With this and the not really alway online but every so often online confirmed now I think this is just ridiculous by MS.

I was already swinging towards PS4, I thought it looked like a nice piece of kit and that Sony learned lessons from the PS3.

Purely on principle alone if MS follow this route and Sony don't then I know where I'll be putting my cash.

I'm sick of paying a bloody subscription to have access to Netflix on my xbox, a service I already pay for.

Francis puts it better than any way I possibly could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

PSN is unreliable compared to live though. I'm happy to pay the fee as it's not much for a year compared to what you get. The 2nd hand fee doesn't bother me either as I don't really like 2nd hand games so wouldn't be buying.

First party titles is what will make or break them, all the gimmicks will force people back on to PC without something else to pull people in.

PSN isn't unreliable at all really though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My advice to anyone who is unhappy about yesterdays reveal 'build a PC and get over it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Are Microsoft really gonna charge us 10 euro to share new games?

PS4 all the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Jesus the hysteria over this today. Yes it's big news. It's an entertainment box AS WELL as being a games console, Jesus Christ. If it was "just" a games console people would want more too, never happy.

And the amount of "that's it I'm buying a ps4" comments flying around when nobody knows the first thing about it only a very blurry video! People literally getting offended by the new Xbox. Jesus if ya don't like it fair enough. It's new, brand new. Give it a chance at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What, the 'fee' looks to be the full retail price of the game so 50 quid to play on another console? :eek:

MS say you will be able to trade games online, whatever that means
    However, Microsoft executive Phil Harrison, in an interview with Kotaku, has some potentially bad news. The aforementioned 'fee' to play games on a second account? Full MSRP. So if you want to play your game on another system, you'll be dishing out an extra $40, $50, $60 - unless you're logged into your main account. (Parental controls will allow you to grant access to other accounts on the same hardware.) Harrison did tell Kotaku that his company plans to allow gamers to 'trade' their used games online somehow - though declined to get into further details.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-have-mandatory-game-installs?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Advertisement