Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

TheGunns wrote: »
    PSN is unreliable compared to live though. I'm happy to pay the fee as it's not much for a year compared to what you get. The 2nd hand fee doesn't bother me either as I don't really like 2nd hand games so wouldn't be buying.

First party titles is what will make or break them, all the gimmicks will force people back on to PC without something else to pull people in.
    FearDark wrote: »
    Jesus the hysteria over this today. Yes it's big news. It's an entertainment box AS WELL as being a games console, Jesus Christ. If it was "just" a games console people would want more too, never happy.

And the amount of "that's it I'm buying a ps4" comments flying around when nobody knows the first thing about it only a very blurry video! People literally getting offended by the new Xbox. Jesus if ya don't like it fair enough. It's new, brand new. Give it a chance at least.
    What about this always online... Well, once every 24 hours? There was a lot of stuff I expected, and a lot of stuff I was willing to put up with... But that once every 24 hour thing (which has been confirmed by Harrison) is something that just should not be taken with a smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What about this always online... Well, once every 24 hours? There was a lot of stuff I expected, and a lot of stuff I was willing to put up with... But that once every 24 hour thing (which has been confirmed by Harrison) is something that just should not be taken with a smile.

What happens if you're on holiday or whatever?
    Will this be the new thing to get the family or neighbours to do?
    Leave the key with them so they can come around to feed the pets turn on my Xbox :pac:

What happens if you're on holiday or whatever?
    Will this be the new thing to get the family or neighbours to do?
    Leave the key with them so they can come around to feed the pets turn on my Xbox :pac:
    Ha, that's going even worse than it sounds. It's 'just' you need to activate it to get it to play again, rather than if any 24 hour cycle goes without being connected you own a brick. Who here really figured MS would be stupid enough to go through with this? Seriously? Really hoping they backtrack on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not a great looking thing but really, that doesn't matter. What does matter is stuff like

- having to be online once every 24 hours to play games (I know several people who don't have the internet in their home and therefore wouldn't be able to buy one)
    - having to have the Kinect connected (regardless of whether it comes in the box, it's a pointless bit of kit to those who don't want to use which raises the price and will likely be shoved down your throat at every given opportunity)
    - not being able to give people the lend of your game (Okay, he says you can sign in on their machine and play it there. But what happens if you leave the game with them, go home and try to sign in on your own Xbox? Either they're signed in on your account to play the game you lent them and you can't sign in on your own Xbox, or they have to pay to play it on their account)

I'll happily admit, I'm definitely a Playstation guy. I have a 360 but it barely gets used. I was actually pretty likely to get a PS4 and then maybe get an XboxOne a while later. Now, I don't even know if I'll bother with the XboxOne. Suppose it depends on exclusivity of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-phil-harrison-tries-again-to-clarify-game-ownership-second-hand-sales-and-always-online-in-xbox-one

Well that's clarified a few of my concerns.

Games WILL be tied to ONE account. Phil Harrison tries to make this out to be the way it is at the moment but it's not.

Does this mean my brother can't play the game (with his own account for online characters etc.) on our shared console if I have already activated it on my account?

It's just like EAs Online Pass. An example of the big companies trying to grab those extra dollars and forcing us into the way THEY want us to be playing. Less and less concern for the actual consumer.

Sounds to me like the beginning of the end for gaming as I knew it. On the Xbox One anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Penn wrote: »
    - not being able to give people the lend of your game (Okay, he says you can sign in on their machine and play it there. But what happens if you leave the game with them, go home and try to sign in on your own Xbox? Either they're signed in on your account to play the game you lent them and you can't sign in on your own Xbox, or they have to pay to play it on their account)

On top of that, it's usually advised by online service providers not to share account details. I've seen several that specified it as a breach of T&Cs which could possibly result in a cancellation of the account. And what else would it provide them access to?

At first glances, it really appears to be short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

FearDark wrote: »
    And the amount of "that's it I'm buying a ps4" comments flying around when nobody knows the first thing about it only a very blurry video!

Just because we don't know what the PS4 looks like doesn't mean we don't know what it does. Sony had a 2 hour conference with a lot of information, and some of the exclusive games. I'm judging based on the approach both companies are taking. Sony getting heavily involved with Indie games alone is much more appealing to me than having someone Skype me in the middle of watching an episode of Mad Men. I already have a smart TV and plenty of options for streaming media, so Sony's focus on games is much more appealing to me. I've barely used my Xbox in the last year because the interface has become so cluttered and messy to use.

I think this approach could work for Microsoft, but I think they might be overlooking how much of an influence some kids would have over parents buying an entertainment device. If they alienate gamers too much, it might not be as successful as they think it's going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

everyday on my friends list more people are watching SKY or Netflix than playing games.

That makes sense, but I know more people who use their Wii for Wii Play than people who use it for Metroid Prime. That doesn't mean the gaming community aren't going to groan when Nintendo focus most of their time at a games convention on "Wii whatever". Generally, the people who go on message boards to discuss games are interested in what's fun to play, not what makes the console maker more money.
    calex71 wrote: »
    I don't want to gesture/voice control my console, I'm fine using a controller but now I'm being railroaded into having kinect in the same way some genius at microsoft thought it was ok to put a tablet interface on a desktop system.

I think they're sort of trying to take a leaf out of Apple's book of "you're all going to do it our way. Even if that way seems utterly stupid and doesn't make sense, it's how you'll do it and you don't get any say". They don't seem to realise that they don't have Apples reality distortion field though.
    Liam O wrote: »
    People complain about gamestop ripping them off on trade ins and then complain about something that could make a fairer market and encourage new game sales that result in more funding for games and not gamestop profits.

I would complain a lot more about Gamestop if I saw them charging up to €70 for games, not dropping the price on most games even a full year after they release and not having second hand sales so you can pick up a lucky bargain from time to time, all of which do happen with the online stores that might just kill Gamestop this generation. Gamestop also don't make me buy "Gamestop Credits" or whatever so that I've always paid a little more than what the asking price was. Not sure how the Live Marketplace is for game prices but if it's anything like the PSN, this is a bad thing. Certainly gives them a bit too much power imo.
    blackwave wrote: »
    did Sony market the PS3 initially as being a entertainment system foremost until it had a poor launch.

I had forgotten about that. Last gen Sony had tried justifying the €600 price tag with "It's an entertainment system guys!". This reveal, they went straight for the "we care about games" angle instead.
    Are Microsoft really gonna charge us 10 euro to share new games?

No, they'll charge you the Xbox Live price of buying the game. So lets say you got Crysis 3 for €27 on Amazon today and you wanted to bring it over to your friend's house to play through. It seems like it will cost you €58 to play it there.

C14N wrote: »
    Not sure how the Live Marketplace is for game prices but if it's anything like the PSN, this is a bad thing. Certainly gives them a bit too much power imo.
    It's bad*.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-IE/Games/GamesOnDemand?SortBy=ReleaseDate

And they should feel bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Pushtrak wrote: »

can you show me a link where its confirmed?
    i can only find articles where its a rumour so far

as MS havnt confirmed or denied it

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    can you show me a link where its confirmed?
    i can only find articles where its a rumour so far

as MS havnt confirmed or denied it
    http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109
    Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

So lads and lassies, regardless of the let-down of the Xbox One, I know we will vote with our wallet - I have been a loyal Xbox Live member for 8 years and after yesterday I am done with it, I am either gonna build a PC, or I will buy a PS4, then build a PC down the line.....

But the one thing we are all forgetting - Valve!

Will the "Steambox" become a reality at E3?

I would be interested to know Valve's take on things.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

My advice to anyone who is unhappy about yesterdays reveal 'build a PC and get over it'.

Yes, the perfect solution to being unhappy with a system that does a bunch of things other than play games, is heavily reliant on an internet connection and on which the games themselves seem to be tethered to some kind of online service is to build a system that does a bunch of things other than play games, is heavily reliant on an internet connection and the games themselves seem to be tethered to some kind of online service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yes, the perfect solution to being unhappy with a system that does a bunch of things other than play games, is heavily reliant on an internet connection and on which the games themselves seem to be tethered to some kind of online service is to build a system that does a bunch of things other than play games, is heavily reliant on an internet connection and the games themselves seem to be tethered to some kind of online service.

But it has leds man! as many as you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Burgo wrote: »

Not forgetting 5 BILLION TRANSISTORS!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With the benefits of not having to pay a fee to access the vast majority of its functionality, access to free to play games and user generated content. And if you want to take that to the next level you can also use it as a development machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Burgo wrote: »

Fair point, shiny lights ARE important.

PC untermensch für Leben!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In fairness Microsoft see steam and want a piece of it.
    I think they count every 2nd hand sale as a lost new sale.
    Point is that I frequently will take a punt on a game for 20 blips , but I wouldn't drop full price on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The PS4 and One get the new EA ignition engine that was being shown but the PC/PS3/360 get the current one. The first release of yearly sports games are never great but at least there's something different.

Does this mean my brother can't play the game (with his own account for online characters etc.) on our shared console if I have already activated it on my account?

You just need an active account on the console and then other account can play fully on that console.

I really think PC talk should be left out of this thread. Yes it IS an option but it's useless comparing it to consoles. They're two very different products. We all know PCs exist and what they're capable of but some people just want a console.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    You just need an active account on the console and then other account can play fully on that console.

Ah. That's been confirmed yes?

That helps but even having those restrictions in place makes it not appeal to me at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Breaking it down so simply, kind of misses the point.
    Yes, the perfect solution to being unhappy with a system that does a bunch of things other than play games, is heavily reliant on an internet connection and on which the games themselves seem to be tethered to some kind of online service is to

The main thing people want a games console for is gaming, everything else that comes with it is a bonus, anything that infers with it, not so much. I never liked being interrupted while playing games by people sending me messages, the idea that I'd possibly get video calls while doing something on it is quite annoying.

I'd be curious to know why exactly it is reliant on an internet connection. What information is it seeking? What happens when it doesn't sync? What kind of rigamarole do I have to go through if they haven't sync'd?

The online service one is tethered to for Xbox One is entirely managed via Microsoft, with subscription fee's for the priviledge. Which may continue to be a requirement for any online use, even if it's not a Microsoft service you wish to use.

The idea behind a games console compared to a PC is for simplicity. Ease of use and functions. Get in, wham bam thank you mam, then get out.
    ...is to build a system that does a bunch of things other than play games, is heavily reliant on an internet connection and the games themselves seem to be tethered to some kind of online service.

With what I've read of the Xbox One, the PC becomes the option for simplicity.

It's not reliant on an internet connection. I gamed for a while without one.

Any online services or payment for online services required are determined by the publisher for the game itself, not the manufacturer of the PC, so that's a bit of a weak point. As the issue people have with Xbox One, is how much it enforces the need for for an online service, which may continue to be subscription based, with little extra benifit to the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Just after reading that the xbox one will need to be connected to the internet, at least once a day...Don't know about anyone else, but I think this is getting worse and worse! Sony have to do shag all and they'll be the main console for the next generation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

HAHAHA some great tweets out there

http://www.clickonline.com/games/xbox-one--the-reaction-felt-around-the-world/17970/
    Plug your Xbox controller into your PC. You now have an Xbox One.
    CEO Kaz Hirai@KazHiraiCEO
    We are going to sue Microsoft. They clearly ripped off the XBOX One design from one of our Betamax players

Nice unbiased vid comparing both new consoles so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really want MS to clarify the used/swapped games issue quickly.

From what I read last night my understanding is that you may be able to freely install games to your harddrive (and play them) as long as they aren't licenced elsewhere. You can deactivate your license on the game, sending it back to the 'cloud' and a second person can install the game onto their machine, reusing the original license. The 'fee' issue seems to be related to a new game or multiple licenses:

I buy a game for €50 and install it to the HD and can play it.
    I give the disc to a mate and they can also install it to their HD but have to pay a fee (full game price, I would assume) to license the game on their console to play (at the same time it is licensed and playable on mine).

I believe it was said you don't need the disc to play the games, so this does make sense in terms of policing the issue, and the same as we have seen on PC for years.

It would make loaning a game to a mate a bit of a pain, and bringing a game round to a mates will be a big pain too - but not impossible.

That is my understanding of the situation. Could obviously be very wrong on that.

sheehy83 wrote: »

Dav got in there!
    Dav Waldron @Shiminay

I feel the same about the Xbox One as I did the PS4 launch: it's good to be a pc gamer.
    6:58 PM - 21 May 2013
    Really want MS to clarify the used/swapped games issue quickly.

From what I read last night my understanding is that you may be able to freely install games to your harddrive (and play them) as long as they aren't licenced elsewhere. You can deactivate your license on the game, sending it back to the 'cloud' and a second person can install the game onto their machine, reusing the original license. The 'fee' issue seems to be related to a new game or multiple licenses:

I buy a game for €50 and install it to the HD and can play it.
    I give the disc to a mate and they can also install it to their HD but have to pay a fee (full game price, I would assume) to license the game on their console to play (at the same time it is licensed and playable on mine).

I believe it was said you don't need the disc to play the games, so this does make sense in terms of policing the issue, and the same as we have seen on PC for years.

It would make loaning a game to a mate a bit of a pain, and bringing a game round to a mates will be a big pain too - but not impossible.

That is my understanding of the situation. Could obviously be very wrong on that.

It's been stated that the first persons license will be de-activated and the game removed. What the second person is doing, is re-purchasing their license, at retail price from the xbox market. All the disc is, is an installer you don't need to download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Mister Man wrote: »
    Just after reading that the xbox one will need to be connected to the internet, at least once a day...Don't know about anyone else, but I think this is getting worse and worse! Sony have to do shag all and they'll be the main console for the next generation!

This console will be pointless without an Internet connection so I don't see what the problem is.
    It's like buying the galaxy s4 smartphone and never connecting it to the net, completely pointless!

This console will be pointless without an Internet connection so I don't see what the problem is.
    It's like buying the galaxy s4 smartphone and never connecting it to the net, completely pointless!

No, it's like buying a galaxy s4, then paying samsung to use it online, then paying your service provider for the internet.

• Advertisement

Where I'm living now, I can't get my consoles connected to the net. I have fast broadband, but the consoles just can't connect. This isn't an issue as I largely play single player games. Even though I'll be moving soon, I don't want to own a console that will have the imposition that if I am 24 hours without getting it online, I'll be the proud owner of a brick.

Advertisement