Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Fieldog wrote: »
    Not forgetting 5 BILLION TRANSISTORS!!!!

That was a strange thing to brag about alright. As a PC gamer and an electronic engineering student, I think know a bit more about specs than the average guy on the street but I can't be the only one who looked and thought "Is that many?"
    horgan_p wrote: »
    I think they count every 2nd hand sale as a lost new sale.
    Point is that I frequently will take a punt on a game for 20 blips , but I wouldn't drop full price on it.

Same, and if game prices go up I can see the publishers getting less money from me. As it is, most (literally 95+%) of the games I buy are under €30 and most of them I just get just because it seems like a good deal, even though I don't end up playing half of them. If everything starts costing RRP, it's going to be less of an impulse buy and more of an investment. They sell two €60 games instead of ten €20 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Where I'm living now, I can't get my consoles connected to the net. I have fast broadband, but the consoles just can't connect. This isn't an issue as I largely play single player games. Even though I'll be moving soon, I don't want to own a console that will have the imposition that if I am 24 hours without getting it online, I'll be the proud owner of a brick.

Yeah, i think thats the one thing that would piss me off the most. There's been plenty of times in the last gen when I had no access to the internet for a few weeks at a time..

Also... is it me or does 500GB sound really small for a system that requires every game to be installed on the HD ? especially since most of that 500GB will be taken up by the operating systems/apps etc ? BF3 takes up like 40gigs fs..

I'll probably wait a year or so anyway before buying one of the consoles, but so far the PS3 is much more appealing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

C14N wrote: »
    They sell two €60 games instead of ten €20 games.

If it them that's getting the €60 then I don't think they'll care that you're not giving the €20 to someone else. They care what they get, not what you spend.

And the RRP is not set in stone, the publisher can set it to what they want and charge distributions accordingly to make the most overall.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah, i think thats the one thing that would piss me off the most. There's been plenty of times in the last gen when I had no access to the internet for a few weeks at a time..

Also... is it me or does 500GB sound really small for a system that requires every game to be installed on the HD ? especially since most of that 500GB will be taken up by the operating systems/apps etc ? BF3 takes up like 40gigs fs..

I'll probably wait a year or so anyway before buying one of the consoles, but so far the PS3 is much more appealing imo.

Most of it won't be taken up by the system. Windows 8 uses less than 30GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Of things that matter very little, here's the games boxes for each.

XboxOne_BF4_F_ESRB_RGB_8.png?cb=294e4ed8

ps4_packart_0_2.png?cb=294e4ed8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Just copying and pasting what I posted in the PS4 thread thinking it was this one!

I think, looking at both reveals as a statement of intent, Sony has appealed to me a lot more.

There's almost been a role reversal between Microsoft and Sony since the launch of the last consoles. Microsoft, with the 360 courted developers and indie developers, pushing it as the ultimate gaming machine, whereas as Sony were a bit arrogant after the PS2 and really pushed the entertainment side.

In the last few years Microsoft has seemingly alienated a lot of indie developers whereas Sony have really picked up the slack.

I think that it's almost going to become like the way the movie industry, Microsoft representing big blockbuster mainstream, whereas Sony are going for indie and their own exclusives. Obviously it's not going to be as clearly defined as that, but with EA switching sides with their strategic partnership, Sony really has to carve out a new market for themselves, and by focusing on games, they might be able to do it. Even the ps4 social hooks seem to be gameplay driven. The Gaikai stuff could be a big draw too. If Microsoft don't have a streaming service, Sony could really be at the forefront of a game subscription service and become synonymous with game-streaming, the same way Netflix is for movies.

I've been hearing people asking how Playstation Plus will work with the PS4 without a catalogue to draw from, maybe that's where the streaming comes into play.

As it stands, in terms of unanswered questions I have about both systems. Most of my questions about the Xbox one come from a slightly negative standpoint, whereas it's the opposite with the PS4. I'm really interested to hear about the PS4 and excited about some aspects of it and I'm just not getting that at the moment for the Xbox one.

Obviously very early days, but in terms of the reveal, the introduction to the console and as a statement of intent, Sony is much more interesting to me. First impressions tend to last too. Sony may very well pull some of the used game, always online stuff, but have been cagey about it, which was clever because it made the initial message from the Sony conference be pretty much about the games, and all the new features of the console. Microsoft are starting to get mired in a quagmire of activation fees and always-on internet connections.

I think Sony not showing the console was a shrewd move too, as they were able to release that teaser video, just before Micorsoft's reveal, and it's given a nice big question leading into E3, of what the thing is going to look like, which is the shallowest type of hype, but could distract from the questions of used games etc.

Going into E3, on of the biggest questions for people is what the console is going to look like. Whereas the used game issue and connectivity issues are going to plague Microsoft for the next three weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Xbox one is horrible! Definitely getting the PS4 if these are the final game boxes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We all know PCs exist and what they're capable of but some people just want a console.

Not to worry, the steam box might rescue you poor people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The Xbox one is horrible! Definitely getting the PS4 if these are the final game boxes!

That's a terrible reason to chose a console.

But I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Y

Thats what I was thinking as well.....especially if they want it to replace all set-top boxes so now its my DVR, jukebox as well as gaming machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Varik wrote: »
    It it them that's getting the €60 then I don't think they'll care that you're not giving the €20 to someone else. They care what they get, not what you spend.

And the RRP is not set in stone, the publisher can set it to what they want and charge distributions accordingly to make the most overall.

I don't want to get bogged down in the economics of it (I don't know how much of my money each stakeholder gets). I'm not even sure how many people shop like me but the point stills stands about lots of cheap games vs a small number of high price games.

And while the RRP is not set in stone, it tends to stick a lot longer with direct downloads than at retail. Even Steam is guilty of this, with many games being much more expensive on launch day than they are at retail and the gap widening over time (except when there are sales). With no/little retail competition, they have a lot less incentive to drop the price too.

Hadn't though about it but it's definitely true. I have around 300GB of games from Steam but the majority are previous-gen or indie games. I'm sure next gen games (since they'll be on Blu rays) will be around 30-50GB each so that's around 10-15 games on the disk assuming you want no TV, video, music etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

And the xbox is ugly too. It looks like someone tried to put fancy pants on a VHS player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Breaking it down so simply, kind of misses the point.

The point was simply that PC owners in such desperate need of validation for the platform they've chosen ought to go take a long walk off a short pier.
    And nothing of value would be lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

C14N wrote: »
    Hadn't though about it but it's definitely true. I have around 300GB of games from Steam but the majority are previous-gen or indie games. I'm sure next gen games (since they'll be on Blu rays) will be around 30-50GB each so that's around 10-15 games on the disk assuming you want no TV, video, music etc.
    Well, it looks like you'll be able to use external hard drives plugged in by USB as extra storage... And given you can get external hard drives much cheaper than you'd get from a console manufacturer, that's a good thing. I have 2 X 1 TB externals. At some point I plan on getting a 3 TB to put all that stuff on to. Just waiting for them to get to a price point that gets to impulse buy territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well now that MS look like they're planning to take over GameStop's lucrative second hand market I'll wait to see which is better for the consumer. I'd love to see a betfair style online trading service where you can set your price you'd like to sell at (with MS taking a transparent percentage cut) thereby allowing the market to set the value of second hand games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wonder, when did all go so wrong...

Back in the day we choose console on gaming library, controller, price, technology, exclusives.
    These days we choose console on who will **** us less or at least gives us a kiss before ****ing us hard.

I was really going for both consoles eventually, but at this stage Xbox is just dead to me. Yes, I love forza, but no way I am buying that From MS just to play forza.

These days we choose console on who will **** us less or at least gives us a kiss before ****ing us hard.
    You make it sound like politics.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    You make it sound like politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I wonder, when did all go so wrong...

Back in the day we choose console on gaming library, controller, price, technology, exclusives.

I was really going for both consoles eventually, but at this stage Xbox is just dead to me. Yes, I love forza, but no way I am buying that From MS just to play forza.

You know very little about it and you are writing it off though. There could be a lot of people with egg on their face after it comes out. I'm not going to buy either of them for a while after they come out but after a reveal without many details I'm not going to categorically write off either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I really hope sony keeps up ps+ for the ps4. Paying a subscription to get a ton of great free games vs paying a subscription to access basic online feature that should be free in the first place seems like a no brainer.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    You know very little about it and you are writing it off though. There could be a lot of people with egg on their face after it comes out. I'm not going to buy either of them for a while after they come out but after a reveal without many details I'm not going to categorically write off either of them.
    So, you don't mind the having to be online once every 24 hours? That is something I'd see reasonable to worry about. The preowned games not being a concern I can understand if you buy new generally anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Now that all has been revealed I am so underwhelmed. Nintendo released a HD system 6 years after everyone else (welcome to the party), Sony are planning an amped up PS3 that will let me share videos on line (zzzzzzz) and now MS want me to have a "relationship" with my TV (FFS).

I'll be waiting, a long time before I buy any new hardware if this is what the console makers have planned and right now when I do buy something it looks like it will be a Steam Box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They revealed lots if things.

It'll have TV*, Kinect, Call of Duty, TV, 3 operating systems, TV, EA Sports, TV, mo-capped dogs, TV, Call of Duty, 1.6Ghz 8-core, EA Sports, TV, and Call of Duty.

Did I mention it has TV?

*if you live in USA

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭_Puma_

And with one Decision, likely put in place to satisfy their publishing "partners" (Starts with an E and ends with an A), Microsoft have signed Xbox Ones death warrant.

There is more info then needed at this stage. Wheres PS4 is still on my books to get and I got preorder set already, Xbox "-1", just completely lost me. I am not being fanboyish too. I got 2 gaming PCs all consoles. Shockingly enough 3ds XL is getting played the **** out of it, but thats the story for another time.

As a consumer I am completely pushed pushed away by new XBOX. We started to find out more and more stuff about it, which is really scary.
    I really love how they getting away with "always on" shiet. "Oh no, it does not need to be perma-connected to internet, dont be silly, we wount do that! Though we will check on you every 24h like TV license inspectors to make sure you are connected! :pac: "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Great Eurogamer/Digital Foundry article on Xbox One:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

I think as gamers they're a bit disappointed and the conclusion is that at this moment in time Sony is in the lead.

Sort of sums up what I think too. I have/had a PS, PS2 and skipped PS3 in favour of the 360 (before that it was NES, SNES and Gameboy). This time I think I'll be reverting back to Playstation. I love my 360 but I think MS are losing me at this stage.

Roll on the next few months though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭circadian

_Puma_ wrote: »
    And with one Decision, likely put in place to satisfy their publishing "partners" (Starts with an E and ends with an A), Microsoft have signed Xbox Ones death warrant.

The guy being interviewed is called Matt Booty.

Great name.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Xbox "-1", just completely lost me. I am not being fanboyish too.

No, you're certainly not being fanboyish :rolleyes:

Never actually seen someone contradict themselves so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Traditionally I was always an Xbox man, but it's wide open for PS4 to wow me now.

If they have backwards compatibility, reasonable DRM and some good looking games, I'll be switching over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

BizzyC wrote: »
    Traditionally I was always an Xbox man, but it's wide open for PS4 to wow me now.

If they have backwards compatibility, reasonable DRM and some good looking games, I'll be switching over.

Sony came straight out and said no backwards play, even for PSN downloaded games.

Advertisement