Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭_Puma_

gizmo wrote: »

There really isn't, they simply want to "protect" their platform as they have always done. For instance, they do the same on Windows Phone with the games utilising the Live service needing to be published by them in the event that there is no other publisher involved. However, you're free to release your game on their platform and through their store without a publisher should you wish, you just don't have access to Live.

EA's presence at their recent reveal was almost wholly down to the money involved in their forthcoming exclusivity deal for the various sports franchises. If you remember back to E3 2011 it was Sony they stood by as they announced exclusive content for various titles. Companies like that won't be relied upon by platform holders for long term planning.

Well after reading up a bit more about it you may be right, I put 2 and 2 together to get 5. It does seem that it might have more to do with Microsoft's stubberness.

It will be interesting to see EA's involvement with the PS4, will they focus on the Xbox One as their primary console? From their point of view, there is more potential for revenue on the Xbox one with the limitations of second hand games. Will the scrapping of the Online Pass(of which I thought was a good idea to tackle the used games market) prove to be a mistake on the PS4 if there is no limitations at the hardware level for used games. E3 will be very interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭circadian

I think EA are cosied up to Microsoft on this one, they both seem keen on clawing back as much cash as they can from the pre-owned market.

That bothers me, if I buy a game from a shop then I own the item and I should be able to do with it as I see fit.

When you buy a second hand car, does the manufacturer get money from that?
    Not that I'm aware.

If I buy a second hand t-shirt, does the manufacturer get a cut of that in any way? No.

It's pure greed. I worked in the industry and this discussion came up pretty often. A lot of people came from a fairly well off background and never really utilised the used game market. They argued that they weren't getting cut out of the pre-owned sales.

I would always make the point that they make their money from the product new, once someone has paid for it, what right does that give the publisher/developer to then try and charge again to make more money from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

circadian wrote: »
    I think EA are cosied up to Microsoft on this one, they both seem keen on clawing back as much cash as they can from the pre-owned market.

Good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Good.

Good. :confused:

How?

I assume you're not a gamer.

This is bad for gamers who trade games in order to fund purchasing new games.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I hate to say it, but neither console seems really appealing to me at the moment.

The PS4 seems like it's very much an incremental update to the PS3. Tbh the PS3s graphics are plenty good enough for most purposes, the improvement that the PS4 brings doesn't seem worth the price of upgrading. And the social networking stuff bores me, I already to facebook to not use, so I have no interest in buying a new console to not use some other social network.

They haven't shown XBO games yet, but the story will be the same there. It'll have incrementally better graphics, that really don't look worth the price of upgrading. The TV/Media/Switching stuff looks kind of interesting, but only in a nice bonus sort of way, not something I would base a purchasing decision on either.

Of the two the XBO is probably doing the most to actively discourage me from buying it. The confusion over used games, the online requirement and loaning games is a real turn off. Although Sony could still come out and shoot themselves in the foot with the same gun, with MS doing it, Sony are probably under a lot of pressure from the big publishers to follow suit, or at least to allow publishers to introduce similar mechanisms.

One other worrying thing, is that both consoles seem to be built as advertising platforms that will track and trace everything you do and report it back for "targetted advertising".

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    Sony are probably under a lot of pressure from the big publishers to follow suit, or at least to allow publishers to introduce similar mechanisms.

Sony have already said it is up to the publishers, they won't be forcing any of the publishers to do it.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Good. :confused:

How?

I assume you're not a gamer.

This is bad for gamers who trade games in order to fund purchasing new games.

Yeah, my heart fucking bleeds for gamestop et al. How terrible for them.
    Also, there is this.

So, yeah, good.

Oh, but you were right on one thing, i'm not a gamer.
    I'd never want to be associated with such a toxic subculture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Also, there is this.

So, yeah, good.

This chap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Obviously, then, this is the ideal place to post.

Also, there is this.

So, yeah, good.

And yet here you are, associating yourself with what you call a "toxic subculture".
    Tells me all I need to know about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    This chap...

He is already in ignore list. Unfortunately due to quote I had a misfortune of reading his post. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

circadian wrote: »
    That bothers me, if I buy a game from a shop then I own the item and I should be able to do with it as I see fit.

Meow, this is not entirely true.

You have bought a license to use the software. And in using that software you implicitly agree to the terms of the license. If the license were to say 'unauthorised reselling is not allowed', then you would have no right to sell the license to a 3rd party.

The EU say that people have the right to sell their licenses but it will take a European court case for publishers to give a damn.

F1ngers wrote: »
    And yet here you are, associating yourself with what you call a "toxic subculture".
    Tells me all I need to know about you.

I like games, I just have very little time for the kind of people that identify as "gamers". It's fucking hobby for crying out loud.

But hey, invent your own fiction and stick to it.
    It's popular around here, like how ShadowHearth pretends he has me on ignore.
    The precious dear.

The EU say that people have the right to sell their licenses but it will take a European court case for publishers to give a damn.

You'd think that seeing how MS seem to be now allowing this to happen, without said court case, people who previously were upset that no publisher was facilitating this would be in the slightest bit pleased with this move.

But that's gamers for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well, it normally takes a trawl through After Hours for a good laugh at a weirdo, but this came unexpectedly. Well played, GAMER thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well for me I think trying to get more money out of second hand sales is wrong. Most countries have laws similar to the US's first sale doctrine. These laws are set up to promote the dissemination of knowledge, information, art and tools to the populace and is one of the fundamentals that helped further human advancement to where we are today. It was also written so that greedy corporations cannot claim ownership over something you paid money for and cannot make money when you sell it on.

Big software publishers have found a loophole due to how copyright law relies on licenses when it comes to software, a throw back to badly thought out copyright law written at the dawn of the computer age. Basically they are infringing on a basic right of the people due to a loophole and for that reason I think it's wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    Well, it normally takes a trawl through After Hours for a good laugh at a weirdo, but this came unexpectedly. Well played, GAMER thread.

No more of this please. I don't care if you disagree with hooradiations opinion in this matter it's still a valid one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Looking forward to hearing more about Quantum Break, looks like remedy is making it.

Burgo wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing more about Quantum Break, looks like remedy is making it.

I really thought this was the sequel to Quantum Conundrum and was really excited for a second.
    Now i'm merely very excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was going to get a PS4 unless the xbox was amazing, but looks like Microsoft have made my decision very easy!

I've seen it posted a few times that xbox live is better than psn. I never had an xbox, so can anyone tell me why it's better?
    I really think PC talk should be left out of this thread. Yes it IS an option but it's useless comparing it to consoles. They're two very different products. We all know PCs exist and what they're capable of but some people just want a console.
    Good one, I think PC gamers are turning into the worst fanboys! :D
    Backwards compatibility is a red herring, everyone wants it at first but ultimately never uses it. I have a stack of PS3 games, should I ever want to play them again I'll play them on my PS3.
    I wanted it at first, but think I agree with you now. Some people will want it (look at the retrogamers), but most won't. I think anyone with PS Plus for the last year is keeping their PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I never watched the reveal... but is this an accurate highlight video ?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭circadian

Meow, this is not entirely true.

You have bought a license to use the software. And in using that software you implicitly agree to the terms of the license. If the license were to say 'unauthorised reselling is not allowed', then you would have no right to sell the license to a 3rd party.

It's happened before.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/raywang/2012/07/04/news-analysis-usedsoft-vs-oracle-ruling-opens-up-monopolistic-practices-by-software-vendors/

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Microsoft is making a media center that happens to play games. From the event itself:
    The thing from the event that interested me the most was the halo tv series.
    Why have so much of the event being EA sports and call of duty? We know they will be on it so I dont see how I'm meant to be excited about that.
    Most of the tv stuff will probably only be available in the US.

If they make you pay to play online and sony doesnt then I'll probably get the PS4, XBL isnt worth the money for me when I can get the same for free elsewhere. Will wait until E3 and see but if MS keeps going down the path that it has been with more media and kinect then it isnt worth my while getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

While I have grown very fond of my Xbox, the reveal for the Xbox One was ... underwhelming to say the least.

I don't want an integrated home entertainment system and Halo TV series, I'd be quite content with an excellent games console.

I might actually turn to the Dark Side and become PC Master Race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Gott wrote: »
    Well, the Gaming forum is sure to be fun. Lots of 'reformed' console gamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gott wrote: »

We have cookies.

Srsly, we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bambi wrote: »
    We have cookies.

Srsly, we do.

I'm sure you do....

warcraft-nerd-south-park.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure you do....

They come in text files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'm sure you do....

Know your place Peasant!

200px-Peasants_3French_Best.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In before that stupid 'Glorious PC Master Race' pic.

or am I too late already???

Advertisement