Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sheehy83 wrote: »
    In before that stupid 'Glorious PC Master Race' pic.

or am I too late already???

How dare you! Its not STUPID!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Gott wrote: »
    I might actually turn to the Dark Side and become PC Master Race.
    Join us, it's worth it for the lifetime (of your rig) supply of smugness you get free with each gaming PC. Plus you get to call your gaming machine a rig, it just sounds better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ScumLord wrote: »
    Join us, it's worth it for the lifetime (of your rig) supply of smugness you get free with each gaming PC. Plus you get to call your gaming machine a rig, it just sounds better.

To be honest, I can really see a lot of people shifting to PC gaming. There are plenty of people on the fence and Xbox ONE crippled that fence and not in to console side.

This must be the very first generation of consoles, where people are more pissed off, then excited about new gen.

I am just wondering how Sony will deal with second hand games. Just because we dont have them confirming anything does not mean they are not going to play same ball as MS.
    EA and MS rubbing each other Cocks at the moment and they have the arrogance of Sony back in the day when they released ps3. Sony learned its lesson and about time MS learns it too.
    Why EA and MS doing what they are doing now? Because they think they can get away with this. If Sony will really do a traditional console with no online and second hand bull****, it will win the market. Even if EA will say that PS4 hardware is too weak and they wont be making games for it. :pac:
    There will be a lot more PS4 in the homes, then Xboxes, so development will be focused more on Sony side. More consoles at homes? more Profits for developers/publishers. Wii U is example of this in action. Not many consoles at homes? Not worth making awesome EA games for it. :pac:

To be honest, I can really see a lot of people shifting to PC gaming. There are plenty of people on the fence and Xbox ONE crippled that fence and not in to console side.
    I think the more serious you are about gaming the more appealing a PC must be but the learning curve seems quite high and the cost is always going to be a barrier. Some people just won't want to make the effort if they're a casual gamer.

Having said all that they probably don't realise the gaming PC works exactly the same way as the laptop they're more than likely using and what they're essentially doing is combining their general PC with their console into one machine.

The PCs problem has always been it's lack of direction, it can be anything you want it to be as long as you're willing to put the time into knowing what you actually want. PCs are a bottomless pit of possibilities which some people aren't going to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This must be the very first generation of consoles, where people are more pissed off, then excited about new gen.

I am just wondering how Sony will deal with second hand games. Just because we dont have them confirming anything does not mean they are not going to play same ball as MS.
    EA and MS rubbing each other Cocks at the moment and they have the arrogance of Sony back in the day when they released ps3. Sony learned its lesson and about time MS learns it too.
    Why EA and MS doing what they are doing now? Because they think they can get away with this. If Sony will really do a traditional console with no online and second hand bull****, it will win the market. Even if EA will say that PS4 hardware is too weak and they wont be making games for it. :pac:
    There will be a lot more PS4 in the homes, then Xboxes, so development will be focused more on Sony side. More consoles at homes? more Profits for developers/publishers. Wii U is example of this in action. Not many consoles at homes? Not worth making awesome EA games for it. :pac:

I wonder if this is MS being political though announcing something and then rolling back to a middle ground that is more socially acceptable? They i hope will have learned something from the Sim City always on debacle, no matter how good the game is i probably will never go near it due to negative press off it.

I would also hope they arent stupid enough to think getting into bed with EA will mean more sales, everything EA touch turns to ****, ME3, SWTOR, C&C, the list goes on. Its also not like they can boss them around like they would a small dev studio considering who they are.

You really do got to wonder though, i love the halo series id hate to give it up but if the always on setup doesnt change it be a turn off for me.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    I wonder if this is MS being political though announcing something and then rolling back to a middle ground that is more socially acceptable? They i hope will have learned something from the Sim City always on debacle, no matter how good the game is i probably will never go near it due to negative press off it.
    I think it's clear where the console makers want to end up and I think they will end up there. They may have to go more lightly but they have their business model fixed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I wonder if this is MS being political though announcing something and then rolling back to a middle ground that is more socially acceptable?

I think having the consoles needing to connect once a day rather than always on was already them rolling back to a more socially acceptable stance. The outrage over always-on was going on well before the reveal.

That's only a guess of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I wonder if this is MS being political though announcing something and then rolling back to a middle ground that is more socially acceptable?

Absolutely no chance. The damage they've done to themselves in the eyes of many with that announcement would more than negate any positivity gained by changing stance pre-launch. In fact, that'd probably do them even more harm

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I think having the consoles needing to connect once a day rather than always on was already them rolling back to a more socially acceptable stance. The outrage over always-on was going on well before the reveal.

That's only a guess of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

I suppose your right , they have ****ed it up. They should have done a steam , always connected but when you need to it can go offline .

I hate the thought of paying for something that I won't have access to if my net goes down .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I think the more serious you are about gaming the more appealing a PC must be but the learning curve seems quite high and the cost is always going to be a barrier. Some people just won't want to make the effort if they're a casual gamer.

Having said all that they probably don't realise the gaming PC works exactly the same way as the laptop they're more than likely using and what they're essentially doing is combining their general PC with their console into one machine.

The PCs problem has always been it's lack of direction, it can be anything you want it to be as long as you're willing to put the time into knowing what you actually want. PCs are a bottomless pit of possibilities which some people aren't going to like.
    Ah its the skyrim of gaming machines then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Ah its the skyrim of gaming machines then!

That's a bit harsh, pc gaming isn't overrated or generic at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

tbh honest i wont be buying either.

I've gone through 2 xboxs and my 2nd ps3 is acting up(not reading any discs)at the moment.Wont be buying either till their reliability is proven.

For the moment I'm gonna stick to pc gaming.Its not the gaming utopia it use to be with a good few games being ported over from consoles but its a hell of a lot more stable hardware platform imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Also a year hence, when you're controlling your steambox through telepathy you might occasionally take off your occulus rift head seat to chuckle at xbox users flapping their arms in front of a kinect like so many crippled seagulls

My only worry is that the VR headset won't have space to accommodate my monocle :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'd try PC gaming if I wasn't saving for a car. It just appears that the initial set up is expernsive or otherwise you'll be pulling useless parts out of your machine in a year due to upgrades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd try PC gaming if I wasn't saving for a car. It just appears that the initial set up is expernsive or otherwise you'll be pulling useless parts out of your machine in a year due to upgrades.

Bad time to get a PC. I'd wait a year or two when PCs that significantly outclass the next gen of consoles can be built for peanuts. You'll then have a PC that will run anything you throw at it until that console gen runs it's course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How can you possibly speculate like this? You don't have a clue how exactly MS are going to deal with 2nd hand games, you don't seem to realise people who are seriously into gaming are outnumbered by the people who play sporadically by a huge amount. They have both made very ambiguous reveals that don't give away much about how the consoles will work in practice.

It's actually unbelievable the how much people are taking from that reveal. High end PC gaming will never catch on to the mainstream like consoles for the next 10 years at the very least. Most people complaining are strangely PC gamers like yourself or people who are probably on xbox live or psn every time they turn on their consoles. It's not like the PS4 had some glorious reveal that blew the xbox out of the water. People will no doubt change their minds countless times over the next 6 months and beyond. I wont be getting either at launch while the big games will be coming out for both. If something unavoidable comes up I will probably splurge sometime next year but as of now I'm open to either of them for them to wow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bad time to get a PC. I'd wait a year or two when PCs that significantly outclass the next gen of consoles can be built for peanuts. You'll then have a PC that will run anything you throw at it until that console gen runs it's course.

the specs for the xbox one would be a decent gaming machine now Retro,nothing all that special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

returnNull wrote: »
    the specs for the xbox one would be a decent gaming machine now Retro,nothing all that special

What I think he means is if you wait a couple of years you'll be getting a PC which far outclasses the Xbox One for cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

o1s1n wrote: »
    What I think he means is if you wait a couple of years you'll be getting a PC which far outclasses the Xbox One for cheap.

Indeed, the Xbox One will be able to compete with your average to high end PC gaming system for a year or so but then PC's will pull ahead again. Same goes for the next Play Station too. Of course for a lot of people it is just far more sensible to buy the next generation console on release, and get your value for money over the coming years without having to worry about the hassle of upgrades and the likes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh you could probably put together a PC that beats the Xbox One (or PS4) for €500 easily enough right now.

Actually that makes you wonder what kind of price points this gen of consoles will hit. With the buying power MS and Sony can bring to bear, I'd imagine they could easily go sub €400 and still make a profit on each unit.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    How can you possibly speculate like this? You don't have a clue how exactly MS are going to deal with 2nd hand games, you don't seem to realise people who are seriously into gaming are outnumbered by the people who play sporadically by a huge amount. They have both made very ambiguous reveals that don't give away much about how the consoles will work in practice.

It's actually unbelievable the how much people are taking from that reveal. High end PC gaming will never catch on to the mainstream like consoles for the next 10 years at the very least. Most people complaining are strangely PC gamers like yourself or people who are probably on xbox live or psn every time they turn on their consoles. It's not like the PS4 had some glorious reveal that blew the xbox out of the water. People will no doubt change their minds countless times over the next 6 months and beyond. I wont be getting either at launch while the big games will be coming out for both. If something unavoidable comes up I will probably splurge sometime next year but as of now I'm open to either of them for them to wow me.

While i agree with the sentiment not to prejudge so early as we will more than likely see more changes, the pop at PC gamers or anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion is pure crap and disrespectful considering the forum.

I think in some respect people are going OTT as well, its good to keep an open mind as nothing stays the same even in the gaming world. However allot of these guys are looking at the bigger picture, they see what big industry unchecked could bring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

stevenmu wrote: »

Actually that makes you wonder what kind of price points this gen of consoles will hit. With the buying power MS and Sony can bring to bear, I'd imagine they could easily go sub €400 and still make a profit on each unit.

The pricing will certainly have to be competitive and affordable considering the current economic climate, which is very different to the global economic climate that was in place during the Xbox 360 and PS3 launch!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh you could probably put together a PC that beats the Xbox One (or PS4) for €500 easily enough right now.

Just to prove myself right, here's a quick basket I put together on hardwareversand. You could probably do better by shopping around a little more and by using discount codes etc.

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8320 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€143.16
    MSI 760GM-P21 (FX), Sockel AM3+, mATX, PCIe|€36.29
    8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€50.91
    Zalman T1 Mini Tower - schwarz, ohne Netzteil|€20.52
    Super-Flower SF400Atlas 12CM 400W|€24.90
    HIS HD 7790 iCooler GDDR5 1024MB DP/2xDVI/HDMI|€123.89
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 320GB SATA 6GB's|€45.65
    LiteOn iHOS104-06 Bulk|€37.92
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€502.23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Just to prove myself right, here's a quick basket I put together on hardwareversand. You could probably do better by shopping around a little more and by using discount codes etc.

Item|Price
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€502.23

Doesn't beat the ps4 though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Item|Price
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€502.23
    You forgot to include Windows 8, nor did you include a mouse & keyboard; add on another €100.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

stevenmu wrote:

You forgot the operating system.

Both consoles have the advantage of being fixed hardware and thus been easier to optimize for compared to a PC, as well as leaner operating systems which have less of a performance overhead than Windows does on PC. The PS4 has unified memory system for the CPU and GPU as well as 8GB of GDDR5 which the majority of even very high end PC's lack.

Without knowing the PS4's launching price its difficult to say but I don't think you will be able to get a PC that will match the PS4 performance at the same price. At least not at the moment. But in year or so that could very well change. Achieving the Xbox One's performance on a PC at a similar price may well be obtainable though, but again difficult to say until they announce a price for the Xbox One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A few people will switch to PC's alright. But for the vast majority (me included), know exactly what's involved in PC gaming and just can't be arsed. We know the benefits, but still rather a console.
    The PC isn't a big secret, we just don't want one!

Back to xbox one V ps4, would be interesting to have a poll now since Microsoft and Sony had their unveiling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Item|Price
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€502.23

The performance of the ps4 GPU is supposed to be similar to the 7850 so that would add another 60 euro or so to the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think manufacturers lose money on every console sold when a system is new.
    They then make money by taking a cut from all new game sales. This inflates the cost of games.

Only looking at the hardware is not taking the full picture into account.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I think manufacturers lose money on every console sold when a system is new.
    They then make money by taking a cut from all new game sales. This inflates the cost of games.

Only looking at the hardware is not taking the full picture into account.

Adding to this microsoft are pushing a walled garden approach to their console with them controlling everything on it, you can imagine how they will recoup their cost.

Advertisement