Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MS looking to get a patent on 'TV Achievements'. Cheevos for watching telly..... Don't worry bout the patent lads, I can't see anyone else wanting this shyte!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/409086/microsoft-seeks-patent-for-tv-achievements/

sheehy83 wrote: »
    MS looking to get a patent on 'TV Achievements'. Cheevos for watching telly..... Don't worry bout the patent lads, I can't see anyone else wanting this shyte!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/409086/microsoft-seeks-patent-for-tv-achievements/

Surely that is a JOKE? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Maybe MS are jealous of Apple having some of the most ridiculous patents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Surely that is a JOKE? :confused:

"By tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities."

Microsoft and the xbox one is all about the $$$

• Advertisement

Right... MS better pull out in E3 some sort of SUPER DUPER MEGA SEXY FIFTH PERSON MAD SEX RACING OPEN WORLD SINGLE PLAYER COOP MULTIPLAYER BOMB of a game to get me reconsider even getting Xbox as a secondary console few years down the line in a sale...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If I wasn't so worried that the rest of the gaming industry might try to emulate these idiots I'd find the whole xbox one debacle funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Am I the only one still waiting for a 'ah lads, we got you there!' from Microsoft? It is positively flabbergasting to think that any company, let alone one with such a history of success and dominance, would think stuff like this would float.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Am I the only one still waiting for a 'ah lads, we got you there!' from Microsoft? It is positively flabbergasting to think that any company, let alone one with such a history of success and dominance, would think stuff like this would float.

Sure look what they did to Windows 8. They have lost it big time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

There are a lot of people who will never buy an XBox or anything made by Microsoft, they just dont like the company. Fair enough
    However to make out that Sony are so much better and some type of charitable group is baffling
    They are both giant souless corporations , to think otherwise is quite naive

I do think MS dropped the ball a bit here with having very little gameplay at their launch. Hopefully E3 will make up for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sure look what they did to Windows 8. They have lost it big time.

T'is baffling. I was never around for the likes of Atari going bust (originally), the Virtual Boy or the joke of the Jaguar, but I feel like I'm finally getting to experience a massive, stupendous gaming-blunder firsthand. Mind, in this instance of the examples listed, it took, at least, a few months for the idiocy of them to reveal itself, but nope, fair play to MS, getting on with it straight out of the gate.

I've been restraining myself from commenting over the last couple of days, out a vague notion of this not being the full picture, but there we go, slowly revealing itself to be a portrait made of gack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I do think MS dropped the ball a bit here with having very little gameplay at their launch. Hopefully E3 will make up for that
    i could have understood the focus on media stuff if the reveal was as long as the Sony one - but at the end of the day the majority of people interested in the Xbox reveal would have been gamers, not family people looking for a new media centre, and MS ignored that group. Utterly, UTTERLY baffling.

Especially when you consider they do appear to have features to match against Sony's highlight sharing and allowing other players to remotely take control of your game. Two of the big gaming aspects Sony showed off.

utterly baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Well it's been said in an interview that the ps4 won't need an Internet connection and from this you could guess that second hand games will be unaffected, this http:// http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29396055/playstation-4-does-not-need-an-internet-connection-at-all.is the thread over at gamespot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

PS4 and Wii U, right now, are the XBOX and Wii of next generation. They look to be a great match.

I cannot believe how far in the PS4 camp I am right now. The TV achievements takes the absolute biscuit. A friend joked about getting 50 gamer points for watching Terra Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

This is madness, lol. I'm starting to think M$ think that it's the 1st of April and are having a jolly good laugh on us. The morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

While that is a ridiculous patent, big firms file patents all the time on any idea they seem to have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

TheGunns wrote: »
    While that is a ridiculous patent, big firms file patents all the time on any idea they seem to have

Exactly.

People are going way overboard at the moment. The Xbox event was very poor and the lack of answers on Always Online and 2nd hand games is terrible but E3 is only 2 weeks and a bit away. That's going to be the most important event for both PS4/Xbox One.

As a PS3 gamer, I'm firmly in the buying a PS4 group but I'll see what Microsoft can show us before condemning them completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I love The Onion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

COYVB wrote: »
    EA didn't switch anywhere though. MS threw a load of money at them for a few early DLC deals and they accepted it. There's the exact same content, for the most part, on both consoles

That's what I meant by the money talks comment. Switching the strategic partnership. I think In their minds too would be that Xbox sold more consoles this gen so it's no harm hitching themselves to Microsoft next gen either, they might view them as a safer bet.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    That's what I meant by the money talks comment. Switching the strategic partnership. I think In their minds too would be that Xbox sold more consoles this gen so it's no harm hitching themselves to Microsoft next gen either, they might view them as a safer bet.

Didn't the latest figures showed that ps3 and Xbox 360 are neck to neck in sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Didn't the latest figures showed that ps3 and Xbox 360 are neck to neck in sales?

As of Jan this year: PS3 - 77m Xbox360 - 76m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

As of Jan this year: PS3 - 77m Xbox360 - 76m

i'm actually baffled at how bat-**** crazy and out of touch microsoft are coming across now, they've seemed to have catered to only(USA)America(313mil)
    abandoned Japan(127mil)(understandable japanese don't like foreign things and would prefer sony/nintendo,
    left the rest of the world with only half the features useable at launch, Europe(740mil)(continent)
    Canada(34mil)
    Austraila(22mil)
    obviously not all gamers, gamers make up a much smaller fraction but even
    accounting for gender and age you're still gonna have a massive market if you go worldwide.

so microsoft's appealing to what america and sales everywhere else will be poor, poorer than expected
    while sony will be appealling to gamers across the world

obviously won't turn out as black as white as i think sony slaughtering xbox one in hardware and game sales, but i think if sony play their cards right. they could have the next gen in the bag

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    i'm actually baffled at how bat-**** crazy and out of touch microsoft are coming across now, they've seemed to have catered to only(USA)America(313mil)
    abandoned Japan(127mil)(understandable japanese don't like foreign things and would prefer sony/nintendo,
    left the rest of the world with only half the features useable at launch, Europe(740mil)(continent)
    Canada(34mil)
    Austraila(22mil)
    obviously not all gamers, gamers make up a much smaller fraction but even
    accounting for gender and age you're still gonna have a massive market if you go worldwide.

so microsoft's appealing to what america and sales everywhere else will be poor, poorer than expected
    while sony will be appealling to gamers across the world

obviously won't turn out as black as white as i think sony slaughtering xbox one in hardware and game sales, but i think if sony play their cards right. they could have the next gen in the bag

Just seen this on reddit:
    Z0rRbBy.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Wow, that meme is incredibly accurate! I know MS moved the non-gamer stuff to this announcement, but still : This all-in-one entertainment system does not work for me at all. If you're in the USA, with cable, I'm sure it's a different world. The implementation of Sky on Xbox (it doesn't carry UPC last time I checked, which a large percentage of Irish use) is gimmicky at best.

They haven't cleared up the used game scenario. I'm shocked such a massive company handled explaining things so poorly. I'm not comfortable from a security, ease-of-use and power-usage point at an always-listening Kinect. The potential for privacy invasion is a bit terrifying. As is making gestures and the dumb-box mis-interpreting it. Like if someone hands me a cup of tea and it boots up skype to make a call, etc. I also don't want people popping up on my screen when I'm watching a movie. I'm not huge on this shift towards multitasking, aka don't pay attention to anything in particular.

It'll come down to exclusives anyway if I get a console. Bought a gaming PC Jan last year & have no plans to not use it!

With what we know now about the 2 consoles it's no contest. PC is an option of course, but every gaming website and messageboard is just littered with comments and stories about how bad Microsoft have got it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't want to be sitting in front of the XBox in my comfy 'videogame playing' clothes with Kinect 2 following me around the room. I'm self conscious enough as is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't want to be sitting in front of the XBox in my comfy 'videogame playing' clothes with Kinect 2 following me around the room. I'm self conscious enough as is :P

yeah, imagine it could talk "Dave, you've gained a bit of a belly, Dave"

it would be the straw that broke the camel's back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hope the internet doesn't act all shocked and appalled when the E3 Sony conference hocks their social media experience/non-gamer stuff. They have their own version of Xbox's "All In One" tagline, "Everything Everywhere".

I'm sure I'll cave for the WiiU when the next Zelda comes out, and buy a PS4 when Naughty Dog brings out their big hit (surprised The Last of Us is PS3 - maybe the special edition will be PS4) but we'll have to wait for E3 for the games announcement. With MS touting their many new IP/exclusives, I really hope they're not kinect games :D

My bigger question for the XBone is if you can copy music, pics and movies onto the hard drive like you can with the PS3. I never got the point of a massive HDD on the 360, even with DLC and installing like 10 games it still wouldn't make a huge dent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    My bigger question for the XBone is if you can copy music, pics and movies onto the hard drive like you can with the PS3. I never got the point of a massive HDD on the 360, even with DLC and installing like 10 games it still wouldn't make a huge dent.

Not when you have a 20GB HD :(

Advertisement