Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jaykhunter wrote: »
    My bigger question for the XBone is if you can copy music, pics and movies onto the hard drive like you can with the PS3. I never got the point of a massive HDD on the 360, even with DLC and installing like 10 games it still wouldn't make a huge dent.

External drives are supported, as you can't swap out the installed one. I've 120GB and I'm constantly juggling things around for space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    yeah, imagine it could talk "Dave, you've gained a bit of a belly, Dave"

it would be the straw that broke the camel's back
    Not to mention you could never feel comfortable having a **** in the living room again

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

"Microsoft applies for patent on TV achievements"
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-24-microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-tv-achievements

"it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement"

moxy-is-a-female-black-labrador-mix-she-lives-with-me-in-winchester-virginia-in-this-picture-she-is-waiting-for-one-of-the-peanut-butter-treats-i-just-baked-21297853.jpg

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities," according to the application"

so achievements for ads too ? =/

americas future headed towards the movie idiocracy =p
    ow+my+balls.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

yeah, imagine it could talk "Dave, you've gained a bit of a belly, Dave"

it would be the straw that broke the camel's back

for reference from the video comments "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I cannot let you play that" :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just let me make sure I'm getting this right. The already pointless trophy system in gaming is now being used to encourage us to watch ads for no incentive whatsoever?
    Good to know.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I hope the internet doesn't act all shocked and appalled when the E3 Sony conference hocks their social media experience/non-gamer stuff. They have their own version of Xbox's "All In One" tagline, "Everything Everywhere".
    And expect those game games that use Kinect for the One to use the Eye or whatever it is called for the PS4.
    I'm sure I'll cave for the WiiU when the next Zelda comes out, and buy a PS4 when Naughty Dog brings out their big hit (surprised The Last of Us is PS3 - maybe the special edition will be PS4) but we'll have to wait for E3 for the games announcement. With MS touting their many new IP/exclusives, I really hope they're not kinect games :D
    I'm with you on the Wii U... Well, add in Bayonetta 2 to the mix too, and Xenoblade 2 if that is true.

As for The Last of Us, nah, I'm not surprised it is coming out on the PS3. I think it'll do a good job to get people to jump on PS4. Lots of people out there right now would buy either next gen console no matter the price, let's face that for starters. Releasing it on the PS3 though, there is the huge market who already have it, so they have to try and get in to that money. It isn't entirely selfish to take this approach though. I mean, lots of people, if this was only released on PS4 would wish it could be on the PS3 so they wouldn't have to buy a new system to play it. Well, I'm not sure how much is down to that and not the previous...
    My bigger question for the XBone is if you can copy music, pics and movies onto the hard drive like you can with the PS3. I never got the point of a massive HDD on the 360, even with DLC and installing like 10 games it still wouldn't make a huge dent.
    I have a 120 GB HDD and I really wish I had something bigger than that. I install games that I play, and I have a lot of games. DLC takes up a lot of space too. Videos take up less space, but with so much being used up... I have two external hard drives, but I have a hell of a lot on those too. I need to get some massive external at some point, and then have no chance of running out of space. Though I'll probably manage it somehow.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    And expect those game games that use Kinect for the One to use the Eye or whatever it is called for the PS4.

I'm with you on the Wii U... Well, add in Bayonetta 2 to the mix too, and Xenoblade 2 if that is true.

Exclusives i may get the Wii U for
    Bayonetta 2 ( had the first loved it traded it bought used again)
    Unepic (looks awesome i'm an rpg hound)
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    The Legend of Zelda (never played either so why not)
    Mario Kart (the one on the wii was awesome with friends and the wheel)
    Monolith Soft RPG ( these guys made Xenosaga/xenoblade woldn't surprise me if it was xenoblade 2, never played them)
    Sonic Lost World (it's sonic i'm curious but cautious)
    Super Smash Bros. ( Brawl was awesome)
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (this looks and sounds good)

I hate yous, bringing this up, now i want a wii U
    http://gematsu.com/exclusives/wii-u

I hadn't heard of Unepic before. Looks pretty cool.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Unepic before. Looks pretty cool.

I only heard of it because i went looking for exclusives just now cause bayonetta 2.
    Looks like a pretty good game alright.
    also just done checking the wii's library and the backwards compatibility selection, needless to say i'm getting a Wii U and alot of games and if they update it to allow gamecube games,
    i'm gonna need alot of time and money, i've got time, anyone wanna lend me some money, don't worry not too much only a couple hundred euros
    please :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I hope the internet doesn't act all shocked and appalled when the E3 Sony conference hocks their social media experience/non-gamer stuff. They have their own version of Xbox's "All In One" tagline, "Everything Everywhere".

Sony's stuff won't be anywhere close to Microsoft's. The PS4 is a games console, first and foremost. That's always been their stance with it, and, like I said a few months back, they were moving to distance themselves from Microsoft's entertainment first, games second approach.

There'll be NOTHING like the MS event from Sony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Surely though if the ps4 does not have the tv capabilities such as sky player etc most people will choose the one.
    AFAIK the sky player still isn't available for the ps3.

Surely though if the ps4 does not have the tv capabilities such as sky player etc most people will choose the one.
    Most gamers don't look to the TV output of their gaming device.

Surely though if the ps4 does not have the tv capabilities such as sky player etc most people will choose the one
    As opposed to changing the channel to sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

People are cancelling sky in droves, on demand is the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

COYVB wrote: »

Sounds complicated. :confused:

Ah yes, but when the person who pays for it is 100 miles away.
    On demand is the way forward, sky on demand, Netflix etc.
    I play a lot of games buts it's great to be able to flick on sky sports and check the score in the footie. What was shown last week is right up my street.

Ah yes, but when the person who pays for it is 100 miles away.
    On demand is the way forward, sky on demand, Netflix etc.
    I play a lot of games buts it's great to be able to flick on sky sports and check the score in the footie. What was shown last week is right up my street.

Why not just buy a €99 media player then? Also, PS4 will be fully HTML 5 compliant, so people will be able to watch whatever they want, assuming providers add HTML5 functionality, which they will]

Very happy for you that a €500 media box is what you're after, but you're in a massive minority...

Maybe, but as I said before most of the people on my friends list tend to watch Netflix and the like more than they would be playing games.

The way I see it at the moment is that games will run equally well on both consoles, similar specs!
    What will differentiate each device will be the additional services that they provide, the console that provides the services best suited for me is the one il be buying.

I just wish they were released now and not have to wait until October.

They can watch Netflix on PS4 without paying a 60 quid a year Xbox Live subscription fee though

They can watch Netflix on PS4 without paying a 60 quid a year Xbox Live subscription fee though

This even the Wii lets you do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Why not just buy a €99 media player then? Also, PS4 will be fully HTML 5 compliant, so people will be able to watch whatever they want, assuming providers add HTML5 functionality, which they will]

Very happy for you that a €500 media box is what you're after, but you're in a massive minority...

And at this stage lots of people have smart tvs. Mine has Netflix, let's me play anything downloaded and use other subscription services.
    A console is for games, I think Microsoft are going down the wrong route

This even the Wii lets you do this

Yeah, that's definitely something that needs to be addressed, I'm happy enough to pay for Xbox live at 40 euro per year, but these apps need to be available on a silver account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭circadian

Francis agrees.

Yeah, that's definitely something that needs to be addressed, I'm happy enough to pay for Xbox live at 40 euro per year, but these apps need to be available on a silver account.

But they won't be, that's the whole point. You need to pay microsoft to be able to pay someone else for a service. Services that are available elsewhere

The Wii U has WiiTV which is EXACTLY the same as the Xbox One's offering without the Kinect stuff - and the Kinect stuff is waaaaaaaay too big brother for my likings.

The Xbox One, for example will NOT be coming into my home. We'll be given some for the office, and I'll usually bring one of our freebies home and set it up there, but there's no chance whatsoever I'm having that nonsense in my house. Given that the mic is always recording, even when the console is off, it's even going to be unplugged at the office when we're not playing games lest MS hear us saying bad things about them and self destruct the device or something lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Couple of months ago I would have been all about the new xbox but only recently I've built my first PC so I'm all good. Have no real interest in the exclusives that either Microsoft or Sony have so I will probably sit out this one and stick with my PC.

I have a 360 in the sitting room collecting dust. I use it rarely for playing dvds but even at that I rarely touch the yoke. Bought it originally over the PS3 because of the price. It was a cheap console and this was before I got into online gaming so I guess I didn't even think about XBL when I made the decision. Before that I had the PS2.

I think I'm like a lot of people here. The all in one feature XB are all for just doesn't interest me. I watch very little TV as it is. Only thing I use by my tv now is my NAS that I have hooked up to an Iomega Screenplay. Even at that, UPC are coming out with the horizon box.

Gonna stick with my PC for now. Might look into it again in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Couple of months ago I would have been all about the new xbox but only recently I've built my first PC so I'm all good. Have no real interest in the exclusives that either Microsoft or Sony have so I will probably sit out this one and stick with my PC.

I have a 360 in the sitting room collecting dust. I use it rarely for playing dvds but even at that I rarely touch the yoke. Bought it originally over the PS3 because of the price. It was a cheap console and this was before I got into online gaming so I guess I didn't even think about XBL when I made the decision. Before that I had the PS2.

I think I'm like a lot of people here. The all in one feature XB are all for just doesn't interest me. I watch very little TV as it is. Only thing I use by my tv now is my NAS that I have hooked up to an Iomega Screenplay. Even at that, UPC are coming out with the horizon box.

Gonna stick with my PC for now. Might look into it again in a year or two.

My current view. Xbox one is a bit late to the party...

DSC_0068_zps3f83d749.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

An Anchorman fan, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

My current view. Xbox one is a bit late to the party...

Very nice :)

Yeah in the middle of saving up for a good primary monitor. Currently using a 19" LED TV I had lying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

An Anchorman fan, I see.

Well, who isn't? The man is a legend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Maybe, but as I said before most of the people on my friends list tend to watch Netflix and the like more than they would be playing games.

The way I see it at the moment is that games will run equally well on both consoles, similar specs!
    What will differentiate each device will be the additional services that they provide, the console that provides the services best suited for me is the one il be buying.

I just wish they were released now and not have to wait until October.

Well yeah but at the moment, the PS3 already lets you play Netflix just as well as the 360 does. It also has lean-back type apps for Youtube and Vidzone (a fairly comprehensive music video database). Not to mention that you can load it up with music, pictures and videos or stream them from your PC if you prefer. Sony will probably add a few new things on top of this for the next console (they are a home electronics company too) but there isn't much more that many people want really. A Spotify app would probably be nice too but I can't think of much else.

Honestly, the TV services shown off at the conference seem largely redundant outside the US so I don't think they'll sway many apart from people there. The forced use of Kinect could go either way. The masses might think it's a cool feature or they might just find it frustrating so it's hard to know how that will pan out.

Advertisement