Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

It could really all depend on how good the kinect is, nobody really knows yet.
    Remember, they sold 24 million kinects in 2 years so there is definitely an appetite for this type of device.
    E3 is really important for Microsoft, they need to win back the hardcore crowd.

II actually really like the idea of the new Xbox, it looks like a beast of a machine. Should make for great performance.

Is there any reason why games will perform better on a new ps4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is there any reason why games will perform better on a new ps4?
    PS4 uses faster GDDR5, which while roughly equivalent to DDR3 can handle large textures better due to higher bandwidth.

Also (have to fact-check this) the XbOne will allocate 3Gb RAM to the OS/features, which is an overhead the PS4 can likely reduce for its operation.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The PS4 has a slightly better GPU in it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Azza wrote: »

I think we can expect multi platform games to look the same but maybe have a slightly higher frame rate on PS4, PS4 exclusives should look slightly better graphically.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Azza wrote: »

Does it? It's GFLOPS are similar to a 7850/7870 but we have no proper details on it yet and I don't think we've heard anything about the Xbox's GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also (have to fact-check this) the XbOne will allocate 3Gb RAM to the OS/features, which is an overhead the PS4 can likely reduce for its operation.

It's true and it's the reason that the Xbox can do the switching so quickly, it has all 3 of its OS running at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Varik wrote: »
    It's true and it's the reason that the Xbox can do the switching so quickly, it has all 3 of its OS running at once.

Fair play to MS, they've really plugged a hole in the market. I mean, who hasn't sat down to play their console and thought "Jesus, this would be deadly if they had another operating system on there... maybe even two"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does it? It's GFLOPS are similar to a 7850/7870 but we have no proper details on it yet and I don't think we've heard anything about the Xbox's GPU.

Richard Leadbetter managed to weedle out some info from the MS engineers and the PS3 GPU is a good deal better it seems. It does have 32 MB of ESRAM built into it which will work like the EDRAM on the 360. IT might make up for the lack of memory bandwidth the XBox One has compared to the PS4 but it will remain to be seen if it works out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Did someone say something about the Xbox One putting aside some space on the CPU to do some processing for the RAM to compensate for it being DDR3? The PS4 doesn't have to do that so can put more CPU grunt towards games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did someone say something about the Xbox One putting aside some space on the CPU to do some processing for the RAM to compensate for it being DDR3? The PS4 doesn't have to do that so can put more CPU grunt towards games.

That doesn't make any sense at all. RAM doesn't do any processing, that's kind of what the CPU does. RAM just holds memory. The bandwidth is what limits the XBox One RAM which determines how fast the memory can be passed to the CPU and GPU for processing. However the 32MB ESRAM might make up for that a lot since it's speed is way faster than DDR5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense at all. RAM doesn't do any processing, that's kind of what the CPU does. RAM just holds memory. The bandwidth is what limits the XBox One RAM which determines how fast the memory can be passed to the CPU and GPU for processing. However the 32MB ESRAM might make up for that a lot since it's speed is way faster than DDR5.

Made it sound like queuing and prefetching stuffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am actually watching "I, Robot" movie at the moment. This makes me wonder ... Which XBOX ONE will try to kill human first...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I am actually watching "I, Robot" movie at the moment. This makes me wonder ... Which XBOX ONE will try to kill human first...

The 1st one that isn't connected to the internet every 24 hours, giving it autonomy from the Microsoft servers.

If the PS3 had 1% the power of the human brain then the PS4 must at least be as clever as a dog if Sony are to be believed (cough emotion engine cough PS1 will have graphics like jurassic park cough... )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Its calling-card will be a red-ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Maybe with E3 so close that the hardcore gamers would pay more attention to they thought that they'd have a reveal that was geared towards the mainstream and leave the hardcore elements for E3. Everyone putting it down at the moment and championing the PS4 are being slightly hypocritical as there is still the Eye and Move on the Playstation and atm anyway, they are just worse versions of the kinect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Varik wrote: »

Wait, there's three? Presumably the game runs in one and the media stuff will run in another, what's the third for?
    Liam O wrote: »
    there is still the Eye and Move on the Playstation and atm anyway, they are just worse versions of the kinect.

Those are there but Sony only briefly glossed over them at their conference iirc and it didn't seem like you were going to be forced to use them like with the 360. It is true that we should wait until the games come out but some of the stuff like the DRM on second hand games and checking in once ever 24 hours will annoy some people regardless of what comes to it. I would expect them to be fairly even when it comes to games anyway, it would be surprising for one to be much better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Move is better than Kinect. I barely use Move since I got it two years ago but I appreciate the technology. Sony don't really push it much anyway. Its a tool that is there for Developers who want to use it.

Kinect is fun for about five minutes. As a serious piece of gaming hardware it's useless.

Here's some more XBox One bull****. All games will be region locked:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-answers-the-question-of-xbox-one-region-locks/

That's a real backwards step after the PS3 went region free and the 360 was mostly region free and left up to the publisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Bar the controller and kinect being able to read your heart rate is there anything good the thing can do that could be positive.
    They really need an amazeballs E3 conference which I can't see coming from either them or Sony. The third party ones will probably be great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Kinect is fun for about five minutes. As a serious piece of gaming hardware it's useless.

I agree it's gimmicky and I just want a proper, precise controller, but I was wondering : I saw some cool youtube videos about what you can do with Kinect as a piece of tech but none of that seems to have been marketed and sold. Do ye think Kinect 2 with the Xbone will implement some of those, even as apps?

I think it'd be a cool selling point, like a virtual dressing room, 3D scanner and a "Jedibot" capable of sword-fighting! Have the top 6-10 best uses, call it "Kinect Play" and include it in a console bundle! If nothing else it'll get gamers to hate kinect less and maybe even come around to wanting to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I still play Sports Champions with the Move. I know one set of mini games isn't much, but it's good enough for me to keep the Move. Tumble is fun and I played all of Killzone 3 with the Move + Gun.

Definitely better than the Kinect for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Here's some more XBox One bull****. All games will be region locked:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-answers-the-question-of-xbox-one-region-locks/

That's a real backwards step after the PS3 went region free and the 360 was mostly region free and left up to the publisher.
    I get a picture of the two old guys from Trading Places betting on how far they can push consumers and still get them to throw money at the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sorry, I can't link properly on tablet, but on kotoku there is an article about Sony looking in to similar DRM for used games like MS has. I don't have twitter account and don't really know how it works, but by the looks of it Sony is bombarded with request to not do MS on them.

Some people were expecting a crash in gaming industry and now I would not be surprised if this next gen might brings us to it.
    I personally have only hope for ps4 at the moment. If e3 will pull Asian MS on us, then I will completely skip on next gen consoles, buy Wii U and go full time PC. Now no fanboism or PC master race ****. I just have already invested in to my PC hardware and I can use it on monitor and my TV with controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Sorry, I can't link properly on tablet, but on kotoku there is an article about Sony looking in to similar DRM for used games like MS has. I don't have twitter account and don't really know how it works, but by the looks of it Sony is bombarded with request to not do MS on them.

Some people were expecting a crash in gaming industry and now I would not be surprised if this next gen might brings us to it.
    I personally have only hope for ps4 at the moment. If e3 will pull Asian MS on us, then I will completely skip on next gen consoles, buy Wii U and go full time PC. Now no fanboism or PC master race ****. I just have already invested in to my PC hardware and I can use it on monitor and my TV with controller.

Link to the story for those interested

This is being pushed by publishers. and No one should trust sony not to implimented either. they're just as much off a ****ty company as MS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Here's some more XBox One bull****. All games will be region locked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's so weird.

I've always had a console alongside my PC. And they always had equal playtime. With the advent of Counter Strike and Warcraft III my consoles at the time became completely redundant.

The 360 was the only console that brought me back for anything you could call regular play. But I always felt console gamings never gave a payoff, and just never felt the same, they ended leaving me underwhelmed.

As I look at the next generation of consoles, and look at my PC now, it just feels a no contest. My Xbox 360 has been a glorified DVD player for years now. I actually sold my original one, and got another one when I was working for Xbox, and played it for a week or two before letting it gather dust....

When I look at League of Legends, World of Warcraft , BF3 etc etc. The PC just has too many games that have serious longevity and replay value, compared to buying a new Fifa and COD every 8 months for €60 : /

And as they become more general purpose media systems, they become more and more unappealing to me. I have a setup I like, an Xbox or a Playstation never, ever figured into it. The Xbox 360 has to be one of the worst integrated systems you could put on your network, it just doesn't want to work half the time with other devices.

The only thing that would pull me back to a console is actually having some longevity in games where I know the time I'm putting in is worth it, as opposed to being redundant a few months down the line. It's what the PC has given me, a total disregard for a "pickup and play" session of gaming.

Consoles just seem to becoming more and more casual and uninteresting really : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

One of the main things I've noticed so far is the lack of any real jump forward in these next gen games. There's always been a noticeable jump in graphics and gaming possibilities with previous releases but from the few game demos I've seen it just looks like more of the same with slightly shinier graphics. I really don't think another few years of corridor shooters and horribly cliqued storylines will hold my attention enough to justify all the expense for essentially the same experience.

Hopefully storytelling might finally take off and big publishers take a few risks in innovation instead of churning out the same old stuff but at the moment I'm finding it hard to get excited about them. E3 should be interesting anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Both are completely ballsed up at the moment, will wait til after E3 but atm I can't see myself getting any of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Xbox 360 owner here.

After owning the PS1 and PS2 it looks likely at the moment that I'll get the PS4 over the Xbox One.

For me Microsoft really have to get the finger out and impress me while Sony just have to not f**k things up.

I have no care in the world for TV integration despite being a tech head. In the UK and Ireland they will probably integrate Sky but I have a free to air Freesat setup and doubt that will work with the Xbox One.

The internet connectivity is a joke. I like bringing my console back to my parents at Christmas but they have no broadband so it could make things difficult (I could try setting a hotpot up on my phone but 3G although quite good there can still be a bit patchy).

The second hand game thing doesn't bother me too much although I understand and fully support the backlash on that. The reason being that a game can most often be cheaper new online that secondhand in the likes of Gamestop. The thing that annoys me more is the region locking. I have a good few NTSC games for my 360 which I have bought from the likes of Play Asia and Video Games Plus. Sometimes these guys can have brilliant deals but I won't be able to use them anymore if I get the Xbox One.

Just give me a games machine MS, If I want an all-in-one box I'm more than capable of building a HTPC/media center PC setup that will be vastly more customizable than an Xbox One.

Advertisement