Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

TheGunns wrote: »
    Both are completely ballsed up at the moment, will wait til after E3 but atm I can't see myself getting any of them

I think MS need to shut up and not say another thing about all the nonsense features that made up their reveal, and just talk about games at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's so weird.

I've always had a console alongside my PC. And they always had equal playtime. With the advent of Counter Strike and Warcraft III my consoles at the time became completely redundant.

The 360 was the only console that brought me back for anything you could call regular play. But I always felt console gamings never gave a payoff, and just never felt the same, they ended leaving me underwhelmed.

As I look at the next generation of consoles, and look at my PC now, it just feels a no contest. My Xbox 360 has been a glorified DVD player for years now. I actually sold my original one, and got another one when I was working for Xbox, and played it for a week or two before letting it gather dust....

When I look at League of Legends, World of Warcraft , BF3 etc etc. The PC just has too many games that have serious longevity and replay value, compared to buying a new Fifa and COD every 8 months for €60 : /

And as they become more general purpose media systems, they become more and more unappealing to me. I have a setup I like, an Xbox or a Playstation never, ever figured into it. The Xbox 360 has to be one of the worst integrated systems you could put on your network, it just doesn't want to work half the time with other devices.

The only thing that would pull me back to a console is actually having some longevity in games where I know the time I'm putting in is worth it, as opposed to being redundant a few months down the line. It's what the PC has given me, a total disregard for a "pickup and play" session of gaming.

Consoles just seem to becoming more and more casual and uninteresting really : /

The reason to buy consoles is the games. I do most of my gaming on the PC, like you. But there are experiences you only get on consoles.

You cant play Uncharted on PC.
    Or final fantasy.
    Or GTA4 or 5 at launch. Six months wait at least.
    Or halo.
    Or most fighting games.
    Journey? That would be a shame to miss.
    Red Dead Redemption? No PC port.
    Or this years Fifa because the PC version is a year behind.
    The Last of Us? That wont be on PC.
    Mario Galaxy on PC? No chance. Took them years to get a semi functioning emulator.
    Skyward sword? Nope.
    Smash brothers?
    Mario Kart?

The list could go on and on and will encompass different games for different people.

If you only like MMO's or MOBA's ......a PC would probably be fine. If you are an eclectic gamer, you will find games you are interested in that the PC alone just wont provide.

As I said, I spent most of my gaming time on my PC. When a game is available across all platforms, I always choose PC as mine is beastly and I like my bells and whistles. My ps3 won't get used for months on end. But when that exclusive rolls around I'm glad I have it.

It's all about the games man. To label some of those gems I've listed as "casual" is to do them a disservice. You are missing out man. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kirby wrote: »
    The reason to buy consoles is the games. I do most of my gaming on the PC, like you. But there are experiences you only get on consoles.

You cant play Uncharted on PC.
    Or final fantasy.
    Or GTA4 or 5 at launch.
    Or halo.
    Or most fighting games.
    Journey? That would be a shame to miss.
    Red Dead Redemption? No PC port.
    Or this years Fifa because the PC version is a year behind.
    The Last of Us? That wont be on PC.
    Mario Galaxy on PC? No chance. Took them years to get a semi functioning emulator.
    Skyward sword? Nope.
    Smash brothers?
    Mario Kart?

The list could go on and on and will encompass different games for different people.

If you only like MMO's or MOBA's ......a PC would probably be fine. If you are an eclectic gamer, you will find games you are interested in that the PC alone just wont provide.

As I said, I spent most of my gaming time on my PC. When a game is available across all platforms, I always choose PC as mine is beastly and I like my bells and whistles. My ps3 won't get used for months on end. But when that exclusive rolls around I'm glad I have it.

It's all about the games man. :)

Personally, only uncharted of your list that would apply to me.

The whole: it's not about platform, it's about games and being gamers, thing can go and die in the alley these days. It's not Celtic tiger times anymore. Not everyone can afford to have all gaming platforms up to date.
    Pcs are not cheap to get started, most likely next gen consoles won't be that cheap. With whole second hand games limitation and more strict platforms, subscription models it will be expensive. I would not be surprised games going back to RRP prices too.
    Like it or not most people next gen will have to do some sort of cuts. Not many of will be able to have all platforms and all exclusives. High prices of gaming and quite shiety economical climate will make sure of it. So the ones, which will give the biggest bang for your money next gen, will be a winner. So competition for big boys like Sony and MS is huge, it's a shame they don't realise that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The whole: it's not about platform, it's about games and being gamers, thing can go and die in the alley these days. It's not Celtic tiger times anymore. Not everyone can afford to have all gaming platforms up to date. .

I'm calling shenanigans on that one. The 360, ps3 and wii are what.....seven years old at this stage? More?

If a person hasn't been able to scrape together a few quid in that amount of time, it's because they don't want to. Not because they can't. And that's fine. But it's not because they cant afford it. It's because they prioritize other interests. Gaming as a hobby, is quite a cheap one when compared to other hobbies. It's why everyone does it. It's accessible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are a lot of games on PC that will never make it to consoles too. While the consoles have their exclusives, that exclusivity is purely down to marketing strategies.

You will never get the level of simulator software you get on PC on consoles, that whole world is pretty much cut off from the consoles. It's nothing to do with a marketing strategy either the consoles just simply couldn't do it.

I've been playing games since the atari 2600, at this stage mass market games just don't appeal to me much anymore, I like games with depth over gloss. So I'm not too bothered about missing out on some console specific titles, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Mario Kart just wouldn't be fun for me anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Since the start of the last generation of consoles, there has been the Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, PS3, PSP, Vita, Xbox 360, Iphone/Ipad and the PC has kept going (with optional hardware and software upgrades). Shortly they will be joined by Xbox One and PS4.

I think affording all them and then being able to pay for all the good games on each of them be they multi platform or exclusive is a stretch for all but the very wealthy. That's not including any additional factors, such as accessories, subscriptions, or replacements for hardware failure.

Even if you could afford them all. There isn't enough time in the day to play all the great games you could get.

I kinda think its a waste owning all the platforms together. One or two is much more sensible.

PC for me .....

Why ?

Skyrim

Xbox 360 = Warrior Vampire hunter

PC = Conan the Barbarian, Married to Jessica Alba, being backed up by The Ninja Turtles

I'm calling shenanigans on that one. The 360, ps3 and wii are what.....seven years old at this stage? More?

If a person hasn't been able to scrape together a few quid in that amount of time, it's because they don't want to. Not because they can't. And that's fine. But it's not because they cant afford it. It's because they prioritize other interests. Gaming as a hobby, is quite a cheap one when compared to other hobbies. It's why everyone does it. It's accessible.

Right, in no offence to you. The phrase "Its not about platform, its about the games" is the biggest politically correct BULLSHIET in gaming world. Its an easy get away phrase and debate killer when it comes to platforms. We all know its about GAMES, when it comes gaming, but there are way to many variables to throw that phrase around like dirty knickers everywhere.
    The only one place where you can sort of get away with that phrase is in 360 vs ps3 debate at current state and completely ignore other gaming platforms. Why? Those two platforms are mature ones, both cost around 200eu and have a huge library of games at this state. So it is not a very huge financial commitment with good entertainment/price ratio. At this stage you can easily go with both platforms.
    If we would apply this bull**** phrase to next gen platforms and all gaming devices, then we sort of opening a very very huge can of worms. If that phrase would have proper meaning, then there would not be console gamers, who dont know jackshiet about PC and moaning about how PC is complicated and so expensive. And we would not have High horse PC brigade, which ignores consoles, just because those are consoles. ( those are not generalisations, but a sub-communities, both communities have)
    So here we go again then. So if that is about games and not platforms then why not we all buy 2 next gen consoles, which will be around 500eu each, Wii U for 300eu, decent gaming PC for 800eu, both handhleds for 400eu as soon as those available.

This thread is about which platform will you choose. We had quite a civil and good debate so far with no politically correct crap. Any gamer knows that it is always about games, but we are not living in perfect world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well I think the revelation of what gamers wants for Microsoft has be to pretty rough when you get headlines as Wii U sales rank jumps 875% after Xbox reveal on Amazon UK etc.

On the other hand MS said they believed the total console market for next gen would be around 400 million devices and they thought they should be able to sell up to a billion boxes because they are not only selling to gamers; so maybe they think the gamble is worth it (for the exclusives they can get for doing so) and of course gamers are known to be very poor boycotters so MS expect people will buy one anyway (no matter the noise they make now).

1625794-mw2lol.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Right, in no offence to you. The phrase "Its not about platform, its about the games" is the biggest politically correct BULLSHIET in gaming world. Its an easy get away phrase and debate killer when it comes to platforms. We all know its about GAMES, when it comes gaming, but there are way to many variables to throw that phrase around like dirty knickers everywhere.
    This is the first I've ever heard anyone try and link political correctness. Course, a lot of the time political correctness is used, it isn't something I take seriously. Here isn't any different, really. Generally, the people who use the expression are people who have multiple consoles/gaming systems and their purchases when it comes to systems is about games.

I own all 3 of the current gen systems and a DS. I had planned on getting all 3 of the next gen... not day one buys but the course of the next year or two. The One, with one debacle after another is annoying me though, so they'll really have to do something special on the games. I honestly think I could wait quite a while before buying any of the next gen systems. I still do have a lot of stuff to catch up on gaming wise.

Buying new systems is an investment. You have to know that there are games you want out for it, or will be. You have to know there are enough to justify the cost. And to feel its worth putting aside money for it for a while to be able to buy. And to know you'll have time to get to it. Time isn't that bad, it just means next time you'll not be able to jump in right at launch. And what's the big deal with that? You could buy the systems when they are cheaper and more reliable that way.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    This is the first I've ever heard anyone try and link political correctness. Course, a lot of the time political correctness is used, it isn't something I take seriously. Here isn't any different, really. Generally, the people who use the expression are people who have multiple consoles/gaming systems and their purchases when it comes to systems is about games.

I own all 3 of the current gen systems and a DS. I had planned on getting all 3 of the next gen... not day one buys but the course of the next year or two. The One, with one debacle after another is annoying me though, so they'll really have to do something special on the games. I honestly think I could wait quite a while before buying any of the next gen systems. I still do have a lot of stuff to catch up on gaming wise.

Buying new systems is an investment. You have to know that there are games you want out for it, or will be. You have to know there are enough to justify the cost. And to feel its worth putting aside money for it for a while to be able to buy. And to know you'll have time to get to it. Time isn't that bad, it just means next time you'll not be able to jump in right at launch. And what's the big deal with that? You could buy the systems when they are cheaper and more reliable that way.

Nothing wrong to own all consoles you want. I own 2xgaming PCs, ps3, ps vita, 3ds xl, xbox 360 ( actually it died on my and I only realised that last week, it was not used for more then a year ). Those were collected in a long period of time.
    90% of people here wont be buying both platforms on launch. When both consoles will be at reasonable price point and we will have a rich gaming library, then we will be able to talk "its about games not platforms".
    At this point, this mind set is just a debate killer and just an excuse to be on a safe side ( being politically correct ) to not be called "fanboy" by an idiot, just because you cant afford both consoles at launch or prefer one system to other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

All a system really needs is one killer app to justify the purchase for the moment. Obviously, knowing certain titles to expect in a reasonably timely matter helps a great deal. I bought a Wii at launch because Zelda was a launch title. I was going to have gotten a 360 at launch, but Oblivion was delayed till March, so I got it then. The PS3 took a while to get to a point where I could justify the expense in terms of games/cost/time.

I don't even know which one I'll buy first, or how much time will go between buying the first and the second. As for the third, well at this point, as I'm sure has been said, it is up to MS to do some serious damage control. They have a hole to dig themselves out of. There is more to it than games as I guess MS have shown. Stupid externalities like the online requirement. Course, it still really is about the games. It just means they have a higher barrier to incentivise me to buy.

At the moment, in fairness, the PS4 hasn't announced anything that makes it a must own. It just has the advantage over MS in that it hasn't shot itself in the foot. As much as these more nuanced conversations would be great, at this point, we don't really know much about the next gen, so any discussion is more abstract than concrete.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    All a system really needs is one killer app to justify the purchase for the moment. Obviously, knowing certain titles to expect in a reasonably timely matter helps a great deal. I bought a Wii at launch because Zelda was a launch title. I was going to have gotten a 360 at launch, but Oblivion was delayed till March, so I got it then. The PS3 took a while to get to a point where I could justify the expense in terms of games/cost/time.

I don't even know which one I'll buy first, or how much time will go between buying the first and the second. As for the third, well at this point, as I'm sure has been said, it is up to MS to do some serious damage control. They have a hole to dig themselves out of. There is more to it than games as I guess MS have shown. Stupid externalities like the online requirement. Course, it still really is about the games. It just means they have a higher barrier to incentivise me to buy.

At the moment, in fairness, the PS4 hasn't announced anything that makes it a must own. It just has the advantage over MS in that it hasn't shot itself in the foot. As much as these more nuanced conversations would be great, at this point, we don't really know much about the next gen, so any discussion is more abstract than concrete.

That's why my whole point is about a party, which will give the best bang for the money to gamers, not just blind "oh oh oh, it's about games, not platform".
    I must be just hating that phrase too, as it has a touch of douchery in it.

Right, to put it back on topic. Heere is TB's take on the whole conference and he has very good point on why xbox one conference was the way it was and by not really taking any side. Surely, TB is not everybodies taste, but worth a listen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've both got lovely bottoms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jeremy Parish just summed up the whole second hand games thing in one tweet:
    Once used games sales are locked down, what bogeyman will publishers use to blame the continuing losses caused by their own awful practices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Right, to put it back on topic. Heere is TB's take on the whole conference and he has very good point on why xbox one conference was the way it was and by not really taking any side. Surely, TB is not everybodies taste, but worth a listen.

This sums it up for me. I'm waiting for E3 and to give them a chance to show us the gaming side of things but if it is anything like last years...

Although it looks like they were even aiming for this since the 360 but I'm willing to accept the fact the console gen was nearly over so they didnt want to invest in new exclusives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

At the moment I'm definitely in the PS4 camp but I've sort of been wondering if they purposefully got all the bad stuff out of the way early and will then go on to have a great E3, which will leave most of this stuff forgotten. On the other hand it could have gone much worse than they expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

danthefan wrote: »
    At the moment I'm definitely in the PS4 camp but I've sort of been wondering if they purposefully got all the bad stuff out of the way early and will then go on to have a great E3, which will leave most of this stuff forgotten. On the other hand it could have gone much worse than they expected.

The Internet hates everything. MS couldn't give a fcuk what any of us think. All their millions of market research has told them that this console is going to sell well.

Both console launches were rubbish IMO and Sony is out in front because it's had less negatives than MS, not because the PS4 launch blew people away.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Jeremy Parish just summed up the whole second hand games thing in one tweet:

They still got piracy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The Internet hates everything. MS couldn't give a fcuk what any of us think. All their millions of market research has told them that this console is going to sell well.

Both console launches were rubbish IMO and Sony is out in front because it's had less negatives than MS, not because the PS4 launch blew people away.

It didn't hate the PS4. In fact on places like NeoGAF the reception was largely positive.

And yeah the Xbox will sell a truckload, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They still got piracy!

Hopefully they don't have too long to wait for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Although it looks like they were even aiming for this since the 360

Thats why the ideas look so dated and out of touch. They were building this technology for 2008 or that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its funny how the xboxone (and maybe ps4) are really trying to compete with pc's this time around, the xbox is trying to be the all in one system......yeah thats what pc's do really well ffs, why even bother trying to compete on that front,
    to make things worse even the casual crowd dont need an all in one system, they have smart phones and ipads for all that these days.

just make a damn "game" console, the thing you where meant to be to begin with :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What do those devices have to do with playing games, watching movies or tv on a tv screen, though? Those devices are for mobile use.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

SunhiLegend strikes again

ikj9PsEpz218U.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Worked great with Windows 8...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nody wrote: »
    Worked great with Windows 8...

Apples and oranges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

There's an open letter going around twitter, to Sony and third party publishers about DRM and second hand games:

http://t.co/C2M6nlMNLX

Part of the #PS4USEDGAMES #PS4NoDRM campaign, for whatever good it can do. Sony people have been paying attention to the campaign apparently and seem open to the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

d7P7sTt.jpg

Advertisement