Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I was talking to someone earlier this week who said:

PS4? XBoxOne?...Don't you mean 'Call of Duty machine?' :pac:

That about sums up the total knowledge of many of those who will buy either of these consoles.

As I said earlier in the thread, for me it comes down to the controller. I much prefer the PS controller but I also loved Infamous and the Uncharted series. The new features of the XBoxOne don't excite me either so it'll probably be PS4 for me...but even at that, I probably won't buy now until mid-life cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Naughty Dog are owned by Sony. Doesn't take a genius to work out who they'll be making games for.

I know :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

We'll I just moved to New house and I won't get broadband connected to my house for the next 15 days. I'd I would have Xbox one I would be ****ed.
    Will have twisted metal, uncharted, monster Hunter 3 keeping me a company!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Anyone watch that gaming tv show on sky "the blurb" ?, had i not seen the xb1 reveal for myself and just seen the latest episode of that show, id be very excited for the nextbox.. MS must be handing out checks to tv networks to spin only positive pr, with no mention what so ever of any of the downsides.

EDIT,

Today MS cancels their post-E3 media roundtable.

and now this leak pops up on gaf ..
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

and now this leak pops up on gaf ..
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869
    It will be as this generation; games that are cross platform are developed for the lowest spec of the two; I'm inclined to believe it though because the MS hardware is calculated to be $50 more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Anyone watch that gaming tv show on sky "the blurb" ?, had i not seen the xb1 reveal for myself and just seen the latest episode of that show, id be very excited for the nextbox.. MS must be handing out checks to tv networks to spin only positive pr, with no mention what so ever of any of the downsides.

I don't know if it was the same program, but I saw an expose on a techie show that was raving about the xbox 1 but didn't get into any of the negatives. It wasn't until the end that i realized they didn't go into any specifics at all, just waffled on about how gosh darn amazing it was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the blurb said before the feature there was a lot of negativity so they would take a look at the positive side. Though has there been a game they've given a bad review to yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Will have twisted metal, uncharted, monster Hunter 3 keeping me a company!
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    I much prefer the PS controller but I also loved Infamous and the Uncharted series.

I doubt ND will continue with Uncharted on PS4. They've never revisited a game or carried one across a generation before now anyway...

Which makes me wonder, will they make sequels to The Last of Us or will they just make that a once-off game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

C14N wrote: »
    I doubt ND will continue with Uncharted on PS4. They've never revisited a game or carried one across a generation before now anyway...

Which makes me wonder, will they make sequels to The Last of Us or will they just make that a once-off game?

Depends on how the game ends I guess. I would imagine they will though, looks like TLOU is gonna be a massive success for them.

And sales=sequels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

No offence but the blurb is a horrible show to watch bar the bit with the guy playing retro games in the attic which can be funny. I watched 3 or 4 episodes and they never once trashed a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think the blurb said before the feature there was a lot of negativity so they would take a look at the positive side. Though has there been a game they've given a bad review to yet?

Really ?, i mightnt of caught the xb1 segment from the very beginning .
    GTR63 wrote: »
    No offence but the blurb is a horrible show to watch bar the bit with the guy playing retro games in the attic which can be funny. I watched 3 or 4 episodes and they never once trashed a game.

None taken, i dont find anything particularly great about the show either, i watch it the odd time ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Can I ask about backward compatibility. I hear the XB1 will not be backward compatible but the PS4 may be able to play PS3 games.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

batman2000 wrote: »
    Can I ask about backward compatibility. I hear the XB1 will not be backward compatible but the PS4 may be able to play PS3 games.???

No both xbox and sony are moving to the x86 platform which is radically different from the previous architectures. Backward compatibility would have added huge cost to the new consoles so neither of them will support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Really ?, i mightnt of caught the xb1 segment from the very beginning .

Don't quote me on that. Well you already did. But maybe I'm wrong. That was way back on Monday and memory's going in old age. :)

So wonder if opinions in this thread will change in 5 days time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So wonder if opinions in this thread will change in 5 days time.
    It's only natural that they should. With new information comes new perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

tuxy wrote: »
    No both xbox and sony are moving to the x86 platform which is radically different from the previous architectures. Backward compatibility would have added huge cost to the new consoles so neither of them will support it.

Sony said they're trying to make it possible to stream ps1/ps2/ps3 games on the ps4 so it could have backwards compatibility

Pushtrak wrote: »

And apparently with great power comes great responsibility. :)
    Sorry couldn't resist

Of course it's mainly Microsoft people will really focus on since they have to make up for the poor reveal. Sony, however, will probably try to stay away from anything too controversial and anything that falls into that category won't be found out until after the conference at roundtables/interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Korvanica wrote: »

I usually like hearing what Yahtzee says but I actually don't think he really put that much thought into this one.
    Pushtrak wrote: »

Well it depends really. If MS keep tooting the Kinect and TV horn then they'll stay much the same. Hopefully (and probably) that won't be the case though.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Microsoft have confirmed that the Xbox One will need to connect to internet once every 24 hours. If you do not connect to the internet once every 24 hours you will no longer be able to game offline.

If your profile is used to play a game you own on another console, that console must connect to the internet every hour.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Azza wrote: »
    Microsoft have confirmed that the Xbox One will need to connect to internet once every 24 hours. If you do not connect to the internet once every 24 hours you will no longer be able to game offline.

If your profile is used to play a game you own on another console, that console must connect to the internet every hour.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

That is a serious drawback. I know a good few people that don't have consoles connected online. Imagine your broadband goes down and you can't play a bloody campaign mode, or single player game like GTA? It's bollocks!
    It should connect when I tell it to connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

That all seems overly complicated for what is adding nothing extra compared to an incredibly simple process we have now.

Sticking to PC it seems, maybe an amazing E3 could convince me to get a xbox but it will probably be 5+ years later when I can get it cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What I like best is the way microsoft is becoming less and less clear the more statements they release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So, not getting the Xbox One then. Will see if the Playstation 4 gives me a good enough reason to buy one instead of just using the PC

Cienciano wrote: »
    That is a serious drawback. I know a good few people that don't have consoles connected online. Imagine your broadband goes down and you can't play a bloody campaign mode, or single player game like GTA? It's bollocks!
    It should connect when I tell it to connect.

Seemingly those people aren't wanted
    Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection

The way they word the 24 hour thing seems to say you can play games for 24 hours, rather than having to connect at like 3pm every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's funny that they somehow are trying to make out that this is good, and new.
    A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.
    They don't all have broadband. And worlds that evolve when I'm not playing? WTF, it that jargon supposed to make me want to buy the thing?
    Your Xbox One is always ready: Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play—no more waiting for updates.
    PS3 downloaded updates at night. But it was optional. You could still play single player games if your broadband was down.
    Stay connected to your friends: Never miss an opportunity to play games with your friends or to catch up with family on Skype. Use Skype in Snap mode to chat while you play games or watch TV. Or enjoy group video Skype calls with people around the world, all from the comfort of your living room.
    Skype = bollocks
    Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
    That is good, but instead of waiting for a 10-20gb game to download at my mates gaff, it would be easier to bring the disk.
    Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.
    We can do this already
    Future proofed with power from the cloud: Microsoft has created a global network of more than 300,000 Xbox Live and Windows Azure servers, to help creators realize their visions of what is possible with a connected system.
    Protein folding?
    For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.
    Great, you want to play single player COD and you live in the sticks. Connect your mobile to your xbox to download the 1gb xbox update, followed by another gb of COD updates. The game would have worked fine without the updates. Brilliant.
    While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.
    The reason most people won't buy an xbox has somehow gotten into the sales blurb!
    With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
    Bollocks.

So you're trying to say you've already preordered yours, Cienciano? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A couple of points to note...
    They don't all have broadband. And worlds that evolve when I'm not playing? WTF, it that jargon supposed to make me want to buy the thing?
    They will though, in fact I'd wager Microsoft are betting on them having it and aren't interested in their custom if they don't. What people don't seem to realise is that MS know they're limiting the number of units they'll be able to sell for now, the question is, will it still be the case in a couple of years?
    Skype = bollocks
    As a service? No, it's not. As a feature on a games console? Questionable in general. There'll be plenty of folk who will use it though and it's a nice extra for them.
    That is good, but instead of waiting for a 10-20gb game to download at my mates gaff, it would be easier to bring the disk.
    They've already dealt with this. You'll be able to start playing after downloading a small amount of data and it will continue downloading in the background. Since everyone using it will have decent broadband (see above) it makes the feature far more useful.
    We can do this already
    We can't though, most games take an inordinate amount of time to be released on Games on Demand. This looks like a policy change on MS' end which the publishers will have to comply with.
    Great, you want to play single player COD and you live in the sticks. Connect your mobile to your xbox to download the 1gb xbox update, followed by another gb of COD updates. The game would have worked fine without the updates. Brilliant.
    I'd wager this was mentioned so as to offset the need to connect every 24hrs rather than downloading any kind of significant updates.

Most of the rest of their points are nonsense of course, the cloud usage seems especially odd. Whatever about using it for asymmetric tasks but real time AI/physics stuff work? Not gona happen.

Even their second hand "solution" is quite worrisome. While it's all well and good they won't be taking a cut themselves and there exists a way for content creators to get something from a second hand sale, leaving so much in the hands of publishers is quite disconcerting for a number of reasons. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Cross posting this here so more can see it...

About their used games stuff
    Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
    on the user's friends list for at least 30 days.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
    Game rentals not supported at launch

Haven't watched this yet, about to now...

Edited for more bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

drm4yjrw.png

Advertisement