Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Cross posting this here so more can see it...

About their used games stuff

Edited for more bad news.
    Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

The same as the PS3 is now then, the 360 I think would only allow other accounts to use it on the specific console it was bought on rather than all your 360s that had you account.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
    on the user's friends list for at least 30 days.

This is a big difference, the 10 users seems a bit much; the PS3 reduced the number of active systems from 5 to 2 as people were abusing it so there might be some extra limitation for the One than the 30 days thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So you're trying to say you've already preordered yours, Cienciano? :P
    LOL, all sony need to do is the opposite of microsoft and see their sales skyrocker.
    gizmo wrote: »
    A couple of points to note...

They will though, in fact I'd wager Microsoft are betting on them having it and aren't interested in their custom if they don't. What people don't seem to realise is that MS know they're limiting the number of units they'll be able to sell for now, the question is, will it still be the case in a couple of years?
    You're right, they won't have any customers that don't have broadband. Because the xbox is unusable without it. They obviously think it's worth it in order to keep their DRM in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The Xbox One could and should be in massive trouble. It's really looking fairly bleak. As someone who ported from PS3 to Xbox 360 this gen I have to say that MS are making a huge mistake. I just don't see how they are going to retain their customers with this product. I can see this being a disaster for MS.

I am 99% buying a PS4 now. Lets see where E3 brings us but I don't think the Xbox One can be saved at this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hearing all the people saying they wont buy an xbox one reminds me of the furore over mw2's dedicated servers and the resulting boycott

we've all seen that picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Much higher stakes here, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cienciano wrote: »
    They don't all have broadband.

It's not as simple as having broadband. I've broadband, but not too long ago there was an issue with it authenticating xbox live through UPC. And this was for quite a long period of time, it took days for it to be identified as an issue with UPC, as opposed to MS rejecting UPC connections. I don't like the idea that something so trivial, will lock me out of a console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's not as simple as having broadband. I've broadband, but not too long ago there was an issue with it authenticating xbox live through UPC. And this was for quite a long period of time, it took days for it to be identified as an issue with UPC, as opposed to MS rejecting UPC connections. I don't like the idea that something so trivial, will lock me out of a ~€500 console and €x00 of games.

Slight tweak there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's not as simple as having broadband. I've broadband, but not too long ago there was an issue with it authenticating xbox live through UPC. And this was for quite a long period of time, it took days for it to be identified as an issue with UPC, as opposed to MS rejecting UPC connections. I don't like the idea that something so trivial, will lock me out of a console.
    Exactly. There's loads of reasons people might not be able to connect. I guess all these people will just go out and buy a ps4.
    One of my mates moved house and it took 2 months to get broadband sorted. Lots of people that rent and move around house will have problems.
    Anyone know how much the new xbox online will cost per month or per year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

hearing all the people saying they wont buy an xbox one reminds me of the furore over mw2's dedicated servers and the resulting boycott

we've all seen that picture

Not really comparable. Most people will buy either the PS4 or XBone and won't miss out on much if they choose the other. It's not like not buying MW2 meant never being able to play the game. In this case getting the PS4 instead will give you pretty much the same gaming experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Heres the thing i dont get with the complaints about discs, people have been clamoring for ages about how digital distribution on current gen sucks. Now its hopefully gonna happen with reasonable pricing and download rates yet everyones pissed they cant swap discs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Man... anyone watching sky news yesterday ?, Between april and june, maybe july of this year, the US government is collecting millions of US residents phone records causing uproar in the states, and the UK are pushing for a bill to allow monitoring of all phone activity in the UK too on a permanent basis.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/06/06/us-verizon-phone-records.html

Why would anyone think that the same type of monitoring wont eventually happen with XB1 and kinect..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The thing about the used games that I'm wondering is will it keep game prices high the whole time since people won't be trading in as often and less people will be buying cheaper used games? Or will it lower the prices, since without trade ins less people will be buying new and, as we've seen with this gen, poor sales usually lead to quick price drops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

VinLieger wrote: »
    Heres the thing i dont get with the complaints about discs, people have been clamoring for ages about how digital distribution on current gen sucks. Now its hopefully gonna happen with reasonable pricing and download rates yet everyones pissed they cant swap discs?

I'll take discs every time when it comes to consoles. A digital marketplace on a console only lasts as long as the manufacturer supports it. This means if your console goes kaput after the markeplace has closed, your entire library of digital content goes kaput too, & without any way to redownload it, it's gone.

Steam isn't tied to hardware, meaning your Steam library today will work on your pc today, your upgraded pc in five years, & the upgraded one after that in another five years. XBL on the 360, and PS+ on the PS3 prob have what, three of four more years in them before being turned off?

At least when you have physical media content, you can replace your console & still retain the library you've collected in such a scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The thing about the used games that I'm wondering is will it keep game prices high the whole time since people won't be trading in as often and less people will be buying cheaper used games? Or will it lower the prices, since without trade ins less people will be buying new and, as we've seen with this gen, poor sales usually lead to quick price drops?

it will likely raise them if anything/keep them high as the likes of gamestop dont make much of new game sales and since their profits of used will be cut into they will look to make up the difference somewhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

VinLieger wrote: »

Reasonable pricing comes from competition. There will be no competition on the Xbox One marketplace meaning the prices will continue to be ridiculous and they won't offer incentives like Steam does such as the Steam Workshop because they don't have to and want to keep the system closed. If you think that going digital on consoles will lower prices then I admire you naivety.

If anything it will make the prices much higher if the publisher controls the price of used games and not the free market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The 24hour thing is fine with me I have not met anyone in the last 5 years who is into gaming that doesn't have broadband and a 3g phone. All you do is make the connection once every 24 hours you can even use your phone to do it.

Plus anyone in the home can play all your games without logging into your gamertag. That's great for homes with 3 or 4 kids.

Your gamertag is going to be more like your steam account now but better.

I'm sure these are late changes but at least they are making the changes.

I really fail to see how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

oh no you di'nt :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'm sure the Xbox one will be a great machine and will have great games but I live in a rural area, I have broadband but it's not the most reliable broadband in the world and has in occasion not worked for a while. This doesn't happen often but I am not going to take that risk for when it does, most of the games I want to play are on both systems anyway so I may miss out on a few Xbox exclusives but ill take that chance knowing I can play my ps4 whenever I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The 24hour thing is fine with me I have not met anyone in the last 5 years who is into gaming that doesn't have broadband and a 3g phone. All you do is make the connection once every 24 hours you can even use your phone to do it.

When I'm not playing a game, I don't have my consoles plugged in. Same with my broadband. But I'm assuming the 24 hour thing means if yo don't check in in that time you can't play any games until you do check in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

up to march of this year i had such a bad internet connection that connection one every 24hrs would be an achievement. as regards tethering havent most mobile proveders restricted that to only the top bill pay packages now?
    Plus anyone in the home can play all your games without logging into your gamertag. That's great for homes with 3 or 4 kids.

i can do that already :confused:

i can take my steam profile offline for months at a time, steam has competion so theres incentive to lower prices and have sales

the xbone wont have either of these so how exactly is it better
    I'm sure these are late changes but at least they are making the changes.

The only late change that would be acceptable is to remove the DRM. people still have to dance around this bs

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really fail to see how?

Because you just log into your gamertag in the same way you log into your steam account but others can play your downloaded games unlike your steam games.

NTMK wrote: »
    up to march of this year i had such a bad internet connection that connection one every 24hrs would be an achievement. as regards tethering havent most mobile proveders restricted that to only the top bill pay packages now?

i can do that already :confused:

i can take my steam profile offline for months at a time, steam has competion so theres incentive to lower prices and have sales

the xbone wont have either of these so how exactly is it better

The only late change that would be acceptable is to remove the DRM. people still have to dance around this bs

I've been with 3 providers in the last 6 months none restricted tethering and I was on fixed price plans.

steam had no competition for years and still gave great value. That is down to the company being awesome not competition. Xbox will have competition from pc, ps4 and stores but prices will stay high because it's a closed system.

You also need to log into your steam account to play your games even in offline mode. On the Xbox one your friend can play your game without logging into your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Reasonable pricing comes from competition. There will be no competition on the Xbox One marketplace meaning the prices will continue to be ridiculous and they won't offer incentives like Steam does such as the Steam Workshop because they don't have to and want to keep the system closed. If you think that going digital on consoles will lower prices then I admire you naivety.
    One could argue that while it's true there'll be no digital competition for games on the XBox One platform itself, there will be similar competition when the PS4 is released. In fact, one could argue that such competition is even more serious as both platform holders will be aware that while you can chop and change multiple digital storefronts on the PC simultaneously, once you invest in a console, you're tied to it. As a result, it would be in both of their best interests for them to do their utmost to attract customers to their hardware with better deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

New slew of announcements has cemented me into the PS4 corner. I was already there as soon as I saw the XB1 reveal, but this has confirmed it. I doubt i'll buy at launch, maybe when the first Little Big Planet comes out for it ...
    Because you just log into your gamertag in the same way you log into your steam account but others can play your downloaded games unlike your steam games.

I can play for as long as I want offline when using my steam account. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

gizmo wrote: »
    One could argue that while it's true there'll be no digital competition for games on the XBox One platform itself, there will be similar competition when the PS4 is released. In fact, one could argue that such competition is even more serious as both platform holders will be aware that while you can chop and change multiple digital storefronts on the PC simultaneously, once you invest in a console, you're tied to it. As a result, it would be in both of their best interests for them to do their utmost to attract customers to their hardware with better deals.

I think this is back-to-front. They'll know that once someone has bought a console their likely stuck with it so there's no incentive to cut the price - particularly as they know that the 'other' company is also running a monopoly in their marketplace so again has no reason to cut costs.

Anyone who thinks that prices on the PS Store and XBL next gen won't be sky high just needs to look at the price today. Isn't FIFA 13 still €70 to download? Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Beefy78 wrote: »

Anyone who thinks that prices on the PS Store and XBL next gen won't be sky high just needs to look at the price today. Isn't FIFA 13 still €70 to download? Outrageous.

As far as I know the digital downloads prices on Ps3 as they were introduced late in the game were kept high to avoid pissing off retailers, as retail was where they were selling the vast majority of their games.

Vita is a better example as day one digital versions of all games were available from the start, and most games are 5 euro cheaper than retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think this is back-to-front. They'll know that once someone has bought a console their likely stuck with it so there's no incentive to cut the price - particularly as they know that the 'other' company is also running a monopoly in their marketplace so again has no reason to cut costs.
    Except as digital content becomes more prevalent the pricing on their respective stores will become more of a deciding factor when it comes to hardware purchase. Can you imagine how the inevitable "XBox One vs. PS4" threads on these and similar forums will go if one was to charge considerably more for content than the other?
    The argument there is the platform holders and publishers are attempting to placate the retailers since that's where the vast majority of console sales (and indeed hardware) is carried out. Whether this will continue over the next decade remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cienciano wrote: »
    Exactly. There's loads of reasons people might not be able to connect. I guess all these people will just go out and buy a ps4.
    One of my mates moved house and it took 2 months to get broadband sorted. Lots of people that rent and move around house will have problems.
    Anyone know how much the new xbox online will cost per month or per year?

I moved this wensday. No broadband for at least 10 working days. So all in all good two weeks if lucky. So no pew pew on call of duty machine one for me then.
    I know it might sound like first world problem, but if pay such money for a machine + Xbox live and I can't even play the stuff I own...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Alot of country doesnt even have broadband or cant get it so how fair is it on them that they cant do the xbox one 24hr check

I really hope this console is a spectacular failure. This DRM crap makes my blood boil

Advertisement