Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Headshot wrote: »
    Alot of country doesnt even have broadband or cant get it so how fair is it on them that they cant do the xbox one 24hr check

I really hope this console is a spectacular failure. This DRM crap makes my blood boil

I wonder how sad is it going to be, when Xbox one will be hacked like any other console by pirates and pirates will be able to enjoy console a lot better then paying customers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Alot of country doesnt even have broadband or cant get it so how fair is it on them that they cant do the xbox one 24hr check
    A broadband connection is a requirement for the console so that's kind of irrelevant.
    I wonder how sad is it going to be, when Xbox one will be hacked like any other console by pirates and pirates will be able to enjoy console a lot better then paying customers...
    Nothing says increased enjoyment like free games, amirite? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    One could argue that while it's true there'll be no digital competition for games on the XBox One platform itself, there will be similar competition when the PS4 is released. In fact, one could argue that such competition is even more serious as both platform holders will be aware that while you can chop and change multiple digital storefronts on the PC simultaneously, once you invest in a console, you're tied to it. As a result, it would be in both of their best interests for them to do their utmost to attract customers to their hardware with better deals.

I'm just going by the one comparison I have and that's XBL which without current competition is terribly overpriced with games rarely, if ever, dropping price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It will be very sad that pirates most likely will save the console lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Microsoft really seem intent on bringing a plastic fork to a gunfight don't they? All Sony need to do at E3 is say no Internet check ins needed and no change to 2nd hand sales and watch the cash roll in. They'll be getting mine anyway, disgusted by this Xbox one the more I hear about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Except as digital content becomes more prevalent the pricing on their respective stores will become more of a deciding factor when it comes to hardware purchase. Can you imagine how the inevitable "XBox One vs. PS4" threads on these and similar forums will go if one was to charge considerably more for content than the other?

Or they can both keep prices high and both benefit.

Would the price not be set by the publisher anyway? So if EA release the same game on both platforms would the price not likely be the same on both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Korvanica wrote: »

I can play for as long as I want offline when using my steam account. :cool:

Yea but could I play your steam games on your pc without your steam log in details? That's what the Xbox allows. You can have 4 accounts and the game will work on all 4 as long as it's on the one console. Which is great for house holds with lots of kids.

I moved this wensday. No broadband for at least 10 working days. So all in all good two weeks if lucky. So no pew pew on call of duty machine one for me then.
    I know it might sound like first world problem, but if pay such money for a machine + Xbox live and I can't even play the stuff I own...

but you are online posting here now ! If you can post here you can check your Xbox in using your phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yea but could I play your steam games on your pc without your steam log in details? That's what the Xbox allows. You can have 4 accounts and the game will work on all 4 as long as it's on the one console. Which is great for house holds with lots of kids.

It also offers mods, free to play, item trading, Steam workshop, a platform to self publish on, no limations on what devices you use it on or if they will be offline for months at a time.

Steam store requires you to give up a lot of ownership of your games but offers a lot to incentivise it. The XBox One is offering me less for nothing in return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A broadband connection is a requirement for the console so that's kind of irrelevant.

It makes the consumer irrelevant. How is that a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It also offers mods, free to play, item trading, Steam workshop, a platform to self publish on, no limations on what devices you use it on or if they will be offline for months at a time.

Steam store requires you to give up a lot of ownership of your games but offers a lot to incentivise it. The XBox One is offering me less for nothing in return.

Was there any truth to the rumour I heard that if Steam ever goes under, Valve will email you your CD keys?

It will be very sad that pirates most likely will save the console lol
    Buying the console so as to hack it to play free games is not saving the console, it's ****ing over your peers by supporting a company whose policies you fundamentally disagree with just because you want free stuff. If you don't agree with what MS are doing then don't buy the XBox One, encourage your friends not to buy the XBox One by ensuring they're informed of how the machine operates and support the competition if they don't operate in a similar manner.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm just going by the one comparison I have and that's XBL which without current competition is terribly overpriced with games rarely, if ever, dropping price.
    Oh, I completely agree on that point. Hell it even extends to XBLA where there is no graceful decrease in pricing over time, a situation made all the worse when you look at the earlier games released on the service compared to more recent ones debuting for the same price. As I said above though, there is scope for that to change next generation, whether it does or not remains to be seen.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Or they can both keep prices high and both benefit.

Would the price not be set by the publisher anyway? So if EA release the same game on both platforms would the price not likely be the same on both?
    The former is indeed something to consider, yes. As for the latter, the platform holder has a say in the pricing of the content too, similar to how you often see sales on specific digital stores on the PC and not on others. I'm not familiar with how exactly this works though nor how much of an influence a retailer will have on pricing in the future.
    It makes the consumer irrelevant. How is that a good thing?
    I never said it was a good thing, I simply said the complaint was irrelevant because they don't meet the minimum requirements for owning the console in the first place.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think Valve just stated publicly that if Steam was ever to be shut down they would make each game playable without it.

Doubt there legally obligated too and if such a scenario occurred would they be in position to do so even if they wanted. Admittedly its a extremely unlikely scenario in the short to medium term future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Everyone hated steam when it launched. Now Valve can do no wrong. Everyone is bitching and moaning about the xbox one but I guarantee that most of them will buy the console at some stage. People just like to bitch.

You can only play your steam games offline for a limited period before it has to check again. I can't remember what the period is off the top of my head (2 weeks maybe?).

I imagine you won't need broadband for the xbox to do its security check. Any connection will do.

The playstation 4 will more than likely have a similar system in place at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What happens if you have to dl an update? Depending on the size, that could either take ages, or be unable to do due to download limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

You can only play your steam games offline for a limited period before it has to check again. I can't remember what the period is off the top of my head (2 weeks maybe?).

Mine was offline for 4 months last year only went online because i went to a lan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Your gamertag is going to be more like your steam account now but better.

Except Steam users don't have to repurchase everything they've already bought when they upgrade to a new more powerful pc. Want to play all that 360 XBL content you bought already on your new One, like they way Steam users can when they upgrade? No problem, just buy it all again & you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

NTMK wrote: »
    Mine was offline for 4 months last year only went online because i went to a lan.

I'm reading very conflicting stories on this. Seems to have a mind of its own :confused:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403396

Nothing says increased enjoyment like free games, amirite? :pac:

Nah, I am not about free games, but being able to play your games when you want and with no internet connection.
    I am not a pirating supporter at all. Have not pirated in almost 10 years. Things is, pirates will still break all the defenses and enjoy the games, where legitimate customers will have to bend over and suffer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you have to go offline while in online mode.. but once you do that it kinda stores whatever it needs to on your pc so you can use it offline from then in the future without having to be online to "go offline"

i think if you buy a new game you'll have to go online to go offline again or that particular game wont work offline

• Advertisement

I'm reading very conflicting stories on this. Seems to have a mind of its own :confused:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403396

steams offline mode is known for having a mind of its own but for me its been nothing short of fantastic because i usually know when ill be offline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've had my steam on my laptop offline for about a year with no problems. If Xbox One had a similar system that you could go offline with your profile, but if you wanted to play a new game, you had to go online then, or if signing in from somewhere else you had to, it'd be grand, not having to be online once every 24 hours, and then it can start downloading updates.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Except Steam users don't have to repurchase everything they've already bought when they upgrade to a new more powerful pc. Want to play all that 360 XBL content you bought already on your new One, like they way Steam users can when they upgrade? No problem, just buy it all again & you can.

Your content is tied to your gamertag you don't have to rebuy it, the problem is the One prob won't play 360 games as it isn't backward compatible.

People could always just use their 360.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Spot on. They want to be like steam, but they forget, that steam works on any pc or laptop. My steam account already sow 3 different pc's in 6-7 year period.I know that my games will still work and be in my steam library after I change my hardware 5 times more. ( that's unless steam goes out of business or nuke blasts us all).
    yes, steam is drm and online activation stuff. Pc gamers would be hypocriticalby saying that it does not, but steam system is a lot more flexible. On top of that it is a fantastic service. 99% of pc gamers prefer have their games in steam library. Damn, I even got humble bundle stuff which are pure drm games and I still was looking for steam keys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

To be honest, since being announced, the Xbox One has been giving me less reasons to buy it and more not to.

The PlayStation 4 has been doing the opposite so far. Granted, most of that has been down to Sony not revealing certain information and this may change in the next few days. From a PR perspective though, Microsoft have built themselves a hill to climb while Sony walk a tight rope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Your content is tied to your gamertag you don't have to rebut it, the problem is the One prob won't play 360 games as it isn't backward compatible.

Unlike Steam.
    People could always just use their 360.

True, but when XBL support is dropped & then your console rrod's a while later...your content is lost. Unlike Steam. Or if things were really fair, because content is tied to your profile...which does carry over to the new console...they can see you've already bought that content for the 360, so will give you the One version for a heavily discounted price. Maybe that'll happen, I doubt it though.

Otacon wrote: »
    To be honest, since being announced, the Xbox One has been giving me less reasons to buy it and more not to.

The PlayStation 4 has been doing the opposite so far. Granted, most of that has been down to Sony not revealing certain information and this may change in the next few days. From a PR perspective though, Microsoft have built themselves a hill to climb while Sony walk a tight rope.

true i never thought STFU would be a viable PR tactic but its working wonders for them atm

Spot on. They want to be like steam, but they forget, that steam works on any pc or laptop. My steam account already sow 3 different pc's in 6-7 year period.I know that my games will still work and be in my steam library after I change my hardware 5 times more. ( that's unless steam goes out of business or nuke blasts us all).
    yes, steam is drm and online activation stuff. Pc gamers would be hypocriticalby saying that it does not, but steam system is a lot more flexible. On top of that it is a fantastic service. 99% of pc gamers prefer have their games in steam library. Damn, I even got humble bundle stuff which are pure drm games and I still was looking for steam keys!

But all you are doing there is installing your content on the same platform. A 360 and a One are different platforms. My snes games won't play in my Wii either it's just not an issue.

If you couldn't buy a new One and install your One games directly from your library in the very same way steam works then it would be an issue.

Nah, I am not about free games, but being able to play your games when you want and with no internet connection.
    I am not a pirating supporter at all. Have not pirated in almost 10 years. Things is, pirates will still break all the defenses and enjoy the games, where legitimate customers will have to bend over and suffer.
    Oh I know, I was kidding :)

What I was getting at was that those pirates won't simply hack the console so as to avoid the sign in requirement and then go out and buy retail games, regardless of the fact that this probably wouldn't work anyway. On top of that, as I said in a later reply, every console sold will still end up benefiting MS and showing them there's another gamer willing to put up with their policies so ultimately everyone gets ****ed except the pirate. :o

• Advertisement

But all you are doing there is installing your content on the same platform. A 360 and a One are different platforms. My snes games won't play in my Wii either it's just not an issue.

The SNES on the other hand doesn't have the added DRM that the One has.

Advertisement