Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Otacon wrote: »
    What about in 15-20 years, when the Xbox Two comes out and XBL is switched off for the One? Will it be able to do its daily check on the server?
    The requirement for such a check will then more than likely be removed. It's about as valid a fear about the One as Valve suddenly going out of business and people losing all of their Steam games is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

GOG.com says hello.

I've used it. Guess what for? Rebuying old pc games I own because my new pc doesn't have a floppy disk drive.

I am struggling to see how Rebuying pc games is different from Rebuying Xbox games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

When you buy any pc game it works on any pc and when you buy any 360 game it works on any 360.

You are acting as if a Dell pc and a alienware pc are fundamentally different when they are not. they use the same basic architecture and the same basic operating system this is why your games work.

A 360 is as different from a One as a pc is to a mac.

I give up...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTR63 wrote: »
    But you just know that Sony are going to do the same thing in terms of the 2nd hand Policies and likely are going to charge people again for their own cloud/gaikai based backwards compatability too.

Would not put it past them and I won't be happy about it either if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

GOG.com says hello.

So you have to buy the game again on GOG in order for to play it on a newer system???

• Advertisement

What about in 15-20 years, when the Xbox Two comes out and XBL is switched off for the One? Will it be able to do its daily check on the server?

In 20 years I'll be coming up on 60 I'll be more worried about erectile dysfunction than the Xbox one servers being offline.

I've used it. Guess what for? Rebuying old pc games I own because my new pc doesn't have a floppy disk drive.

I am struggling to see how Rebuying pc games is different from Rebuying Xbox games.

There is no difference. PC gamers are always buying games again. Either for this or because they want the convenience of owning a game on steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lets not forget that your steam library only still works because Microsoft builds bc into windows to let them run. Valve are getting a lot if credit for something they have little to do with. And Microsoft are getting slammed even though it's their hard work that ensures your old pc games still work.

There I was thinking it may be a corporate thing. Considering companies that purchase expensive application suites, would be less inclined to update OSs if the software they require didn't work or wasn't possible for the vendor to do minor patching to revise. Who wants to migrate to a new OS and then have to re-purchase Application Suites all over again?

Games may benefit from it, but aren't the reason for it.

BC isn't a problem for me regarding the Xbone. People didn't buy a PS2 to play PS1 games on it. The availability was a bonus, but it wasn't critical.

What would be an issue though, is in reference to the transferability of digital content, particularly if ports of content I've already purchased for the 360, is made avail on the xbone. This is why people are referring to Steam and PC gaming in general. The consumer is in a stronger position with regards the transfer of digital content.

I give up...

I would advise it. You are struggling to understand that games for one platform will not work on a different platform. I don't think I'll ever be able to explain why your pc games work on your pc.

I think it does.
    One is intentionally screwing you out of functionality.
    The other is an accident.

No one is intentionally screwing you out of functionality on the console move either. It's also a consequence of the changing hardware.

• Advertisement

I would advise it. You are struggling to understand that games for one platform will not work on a different platform. I don't think I'll ever be able to explain why your pc games work on your pc.

I would advice you stop comparing apples to oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

In reply to original title - I choose PS4 because of the below

drm4yjrw.png

There I was thinking it may be a corporate thing. Considering companies that purchase expensive application suites, would be less inclined to update OSs if the software they require didn't work or wasn't possible for the vendor to do minor patching to revise. Who wants to migrate to a new OS and then have to re-purchase Application Suites all over again?

Games may benefit from it, but aren't the reason for it.

BC isn't a problem for me regarding the Xbone. People didn't buy a PS2 to play PS1 games on it. The availability was a bonus, but it wasn't critical.

What would be an issue though, is in reference to the transferability of digital content, particularly if ports of content I've already purchased for the 360, is made avail on the xbone. This is why people are referring to Steam and PC gaming in general. The consumer is in a stronger position with regards the transfer of digital content.

Yea software. Games are just software dame ad those expensive pieces of software that need to be bc.

I understand what people are saying about their steam library. But we have not come to a point where we have changed platform.

Now if pc2 was announced next week and it turned out that your pc1 games would not work then we could compare like for like.

Then if valve said to ensure all your games work on this new architecture and operating system we will give you all a free pc2 copy of every game in your steam library.

Then I'd be impressed.

At the moment saying your pc game works on your new pc is no different than saying your 360 game works on your new 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hardware changes on a pc.
    Architecture changes on a pc.
    OSes change on a pc.

In the majority of cases, I can still play games that were designed for a pc 10 years ago and on a completely different set of requirements on a pc built now. I don't have to rebuy them, I can if I want with wanting a copy on steam, I can take out the disc and install.

Xbox is still a computer, just closed in, and the generation gap is higher. On pc, there've been several generations of CPU, GPUs, RAM, Mobos etc since the 360 was released, can still play the games though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Would not put it past them and I won't be happy about it either if they do.

Remember when they said there will be a way to use your PSP games on the Vita then it never happened. Their silence on their own final drm is kinda deafening now, the longer they leave it the harder the potential backlash is gonna be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Pushtrak wrote: »
    So, new OS gets made causes problems, incidental. New hardware gets released causes problems, intentional. Seems an interesting interpretation.

But on PC, no one is stopping you from coding/tweaking to overcome those problems. If you tried that on a console, what would happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Christ this thread has become tedious.

I would advice you stop comparing apples to oranges.

But I'm not I am comparing like for like. You are comparing a pc to 2 different platforms and wondering why games from one platform won't work on the other.

360, One and pc are 3 different platforms.

All 3 of the pc's you bought over the last 6 years are the 1 platform. Pc games work on pc's this is why your pc games still work. It is purely because you have not changed the platform.

The 360 games I bought 7 years ago still work on any of the new 360's I've bought in the exact same way your pc games still work.

If I buy a different platform those games won't work in the same way if you put your pc games on a different platform they won't work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What is this crap about skype opening in a window while playing my game is a benefit? In what world is that a good thing? I hate getting a long phone call that isn't an emergency during my brief window of gaming time. The last thing I can imagine anyone wanting is friends calling them up on skype in the middle of a game. Do Microsoft think we all had our laptops sitting beside the TV signed into skype in case we get a call and they saw an opportunity to combine the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This isn't about backwards compatibility. It's about console marketplaces & how they differ to Steam. Take any example, say Minecraft ok.

Console Marketplace:
    1) Buy Minecraft for the 360 through XBL.
    2) Play game.
    3) Sell 360 to fund One purchase.
    4) Purchase game for full price on the One you've already purchased for full price on the 360.
    5) Play game.

Steam:
    1) Buy Minecraft {ok not on Steam but just as an example}
    2) Play game.
    3) Sell of old pc, build/buy new one.
    4) Log into existig Steam a/c, redownload game.
    5) Play game.

Second example

Xbox 360
    1) Enjoy library of digital marketplace content.
    2) MS pull plug on the 360 in the year 20xx
    3) Xbox 360 dies a year later from rrod.
    4) With no way to redownload your content on a replacement console, bye bye library of games & purchases.

Steam
    1) Enjoy library of digital marketplace content.
    2) PC suffers a meltdown/power surge & dies.
    3) Log into existing Steam a/c on Steam, & redownload everything.
    4) Enjoy library of digital marketplace content on replacement machine.

Now, I'm not saying there shouldn't be a nominal charge for the work involved in porting Minecraft over from the 360 to the One. It would be more than fair to be asked to pay a nominal fee to download Minecraft for the One, if your profile shows you've already purchased Minecraft for the 360. But I'd imagine it will be full price for the privilege. When MS are so keenly trying to dispel the notion that you 'own' your games & all you pay for is a licence to play them...why should Minecraft be full price for the One if you already own the licence to play it? Are you buying a licence that technically you already have? Again, I'm not saying it should be free...but to be asked to pay full whack again is a bit rich I think. Did the game have to be completely re-written from the ground up to work on the One?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Minecraft is likely the only game what they would port and there's no way to know how they'll handle it.

In a thread called "How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles" this seems to have changed over to why PC are better and why being a PC gamer makes you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Varik wrote: »
    In a thread called "How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles" this seems to have changed over to why PC are better and why being a PC gamer makes you better.

Is this not the norm for these types of thread? It should be Newell's Law or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Minecraft is likely the only game what they would port and there's no way to know how they'll handle it.

its actually "why being a PC gamer STILL makes you better"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is this not the norm for these types of thread? It should be Newell's Law or something.

There's a PS4, Xbox one, and this thread and all of them are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I do think console manufacturers should look to torrenting to keep DLC alive after servers are shut down. Imagine a console that pulls down the dlc from a server first but if it can't find it connects to other consoles with the DLC and pulls it down instead. This gives them a better overall user experience and allows them the chance to switch off servers without as much of a backlash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not really, it's just raised a question over the ownership of digital content and the transferability of it. As current gen was the first time it was avail for consoles. What does it mean for the next generation of consoles and further generations after that?

It's just being referenced in comparison to PCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So none of the other XBL content will be ported over to the One?

I think how a console handles its marketplace is a good point of discussion when considering a purchase don't you? Steam sets the benchmark for digital purchasing, which is why XBL is naturally being compared to it. It's got nothing to do with pc gaming on the whole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and we'll keep doing it until you dirty peasants get the message

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

And yet for some stupid reason I keep reading all three.

/headdesk

• Advertisement

But I'm not I am comparing like for like. You are comparing a pc to 2 different platforms and wondering why games from one platform won't work on the other.

360, One and pc are 3 different platforms.

All 3 of the pc's you bought over the last 6 years are the 1 platform. Pc games work on pc's this is why your pc games still work. It is purely because you have not changed the platform.

The 360 games I bought 7 years ago still work on any of the new 360's I've bought in the exact same way your pc games still work.

If I buy a different platform those games won't work in the same way if you put your pc games on a different platform they won't work either.

You and me buy a multiplatform game like call of duty 4 in 2007.

You play on 360, I play on pc.

In 2014 you and me decide to play call of duty 4 again. Me on pc you on Xbox 360.

I play away on my brand new spanking pc with New hardware same copy of call of duty I bought on steam In 2007. You cannot play call of duty 4 anymore, because you sold your Xbox 360 and have Xbox one now.

You still using same account on Xbox one that you used on Xbox 360, but you cannot play call of duty 4 on New hardware.

I use same account of steam I used in 2007 on New hardware.

That's what benefit you get on pc from steam drm and digital distribution. It's not just drm, but it is a benefit to user. Wheres Microsoft pushes Down our throats their own drm in a form of steam, but it has no benefits of steam, only the drawbacks.

Advertisement