Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Does it matter?

The end result is the same.

Not exactly. In your case you do have a game that you can't play which is bad but the fact is that most of them still work for most people. This is different to the consoles where 100% will not work on your new system.
    A 360 is as different from a One as a pc is to a mac.

Except its not. For the foreseeable future (assuming neither company goes bust), you will always have the option to buy a Windows or Mac computer. Both will keep being updated and will have the new versions released side by side. The 360 will be discontinued, it's not viable to just stick with it and ignore the One if you want to buy more games.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    But you just know that Sony are going to do the same thing in terms of the 2nd hand Policies and likely are going to charge people again for their own cloud/gaikai based backwards compatability too.

Well we don't know it for sure yet. Rest assured though that if that news breaks, then this thread will go from whining about the XBO to whining about the new consoles in general.
    Now if pc2 was announced next week and it turned out that your pc1 games would not work then we could compare like for like.

The point they were trying to make is that there will be no PC2, unlike with a console so you never need to switch over to another platform.
    Varik wrote: »
    In a thread called "How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles" this seems to have changed over to why PC are better and why being a PC gamer makes you better.

Ah yes, but isn't a Windows PC also a Microsoft console in a way? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

stevenmu wrote: »
    And yet for some stupid reason I keep reading all three.

/headdesk

Yep. Then the odd time when something new and/or interesting DOES come up amongst the repetitive crap, I can't remember which one it's in when I try to find it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EnterNow wrote: »
    So none of the other XBL content will be ported over to the One?

Name one other than minecraft that would be worth the effort on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Name one other than minecraft that would be worth the effort on their part.

Surely they'll port over at least the top 30 or 50 games just to get the service/selection up & running?

Surely they'll port over at least the top 30 or 50 games just to get the service/selection up & running?

I'd say that the ones in development/released over the last few months might be as they could work on both versions but I doubt they'll go back and do it to anything older other than minecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Console Marketplace:
    1) Buy Minecraft for the 360 through XBL.
    2) Play game.
    3) Sell 360 to fund One purchase.
    4) Purchase game for full price on the One you've already purchased for full price on the 360.
    5) Play game.
    Solution: Keep your 360.
    Xbox 360
    1) Enjoy library of digital marketplace content.
    2) MS pull plug on the 360 in the year 20xx
    3) Xbox 360 dies a year later from rrod.
    4) With no way to redownload your content on a replacement console, bye bye library of games & purchases.
    Solution: External storage for the digital downloads. External hard drive, for example. Course, the issue here is the buying a replacement 360 and in such a scenario, there is no getting around that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, I wonder what the legality of MS shutting down 360 servers and blocking access to your games. You're paying for a license therefore you can use that software but microsoft blocking your access to that software could have some grounds for legal action, even refunds. MS denying you a sevice you paid for? I'm sure they have it covered in their EULA but anything added outside the software license doesn't hold any legal weight in a lot of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Just something different to ponder, between the backandforthedness, on a bit of a tangent...

Whatever about the consumer, isn't a massive carrot for game companies. Will they make games for a platform that will protect profits or one that (possibly) won't? It seems a massive gamble for Microsoft. Exclusivity is also massive. Do ye reckon if Microsoft can get the games, it can get the gamers?

EA seem to be getting cosy with them, although still keeping their options open.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm getting a Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

I'm getting a Wii U.

If sony go the same way as microsoft,
    i'm going Wii U and Gaming PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm holding out hopes that Sony won't screw it up again. They were doing the wrong things at the PS3 launch and I reckon they won't mess this up.

If not, will probably just end up buying a PS3 to play the exclusives I missed with a 360 and stay on pc

erkifino wrote: »
    Just something different to ponder, between the backandforthedness, on a bit of a tangent...

Whatever about the consumer, isn't a massive carrot for game companies. Will they make games for a platform that will protect profits or one that (possibly) won't? It seems a massive gamble for Microsoft. Exclusivity is also massive. Do ye reckon if Microsoft can get the games, it can get the gamers?

Well for the people who will be really affected by the 24 hour connection thing, the One is pretty much out already. They could have a game that induces 10 hours of orgasms and it wouldn't matter if they can't play it.

As for the publishers, they would definitely prefer the MS control-freak method of selling games but if the consumers don't buy it, then they aren't going to invest much into its games. I'm sure publishers would prefer to make games for a hugely popular console with less control over stuff like second hand sales than to focus on a console that nobody has that gives them complete control. We'll see how the consumers spend their money at Christmas, although I'd bet that they will both sell out on brand alone.
    titan18 wrote: »
    I'm holding out hopes that Sony won't screw it up again. They were doing the wrong things at the PS3 launch and I reckon they won't mess this up.

I'd have to believe they're going to try making up for the mistakes there. With MS falling at several consecutive hurdles it could be theirs for the taking if they just don't be assholes about it. Last generation was the only one that Sony didn't own and even then they've recently edged ahead of MS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never, ever underestimate Sony's capacity to screw things up.

Aye, they could do, they did it with the PS3 launch, but they've been given a huge chance to dominate again like they did with the PS2. I'm hoping they don't screw it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »

All they have to do is say nothing and ride the wave to release day..... and not miss the release day and then push back a European release.

All they have to do is say nothing and ride the wave to release day..... and not miss the release day and then push back a European release.

Nah, if they don't say something at E3, things will go against them. It's going to be one of the first things everyone wants to know so they'll be asked about it, and if they keep on saying nothing, everyone will just presume the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

danthefan wrote: »
    Kaz Hirai has basically been trolling MS for the last few weeks, latest:

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/342769067985342464

They can't possibly go and pull the same stuff as MS after comments like this, surely?

You realise that's a parody account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Chinpool wrote: »
    You realise that's a parody account?

Well, that's embarrassing :o

Someone sent me the link, I assumed it was real.

Don't mind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

There I was thinking it may be a corporate thing. Considering companies that purchase expensive application suites, would be less inclined to update OSs if the software they require didn't work or wasn't possible for the vendor to do minor patching to revise. Who wants to migrate to a new OS and then have to re-purchase Application Suites all over again?

Games may benefit from it, but aren't the reason for it.

BC isn't a problem for me regarding the Xbone. People didn't buy a PS2 to play PS1 games on it. The availability was a bonus, but it wasn't critical.

What would be an issue though, is in reference to the transferability of digital content, particularly if ports of content I've already purchased for the 360, is made avail on the xbone. This is why people are referring to Steam and PC gaming in general. The consumer is in a stronger position with regards the transfer of digital content.

Actually, It kinda was, the PS2 was kept alive early on thanks to its BC and DVD playback. Not saying it would have failed otherwise, the PS2 was a behemoth but it did really help.

I think BC would help the XBone quite a bit, at the very least, it would be 1 less box considering it is meant to be the All-in-one entertainment system (even though it really isn't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

danthefan wrote: »
    Well, that's embarrassing :o

Someone sent me the link, I assumed it was real.

Don't mind me.

lol! Not big sam isn't sam allardyce either :D

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Actually, It kinda was, the PS2 was kept alive early on thanks to its BC and DVD playback. Not saying it would have failed otherwise, the PS2 was a behemoth but it did really help.

The PS2 was kept alive by the fact that there were some great games out on it in the end and that the PS3 cost €600+.

Canceled my PS4 amazon preorder as I thought money might be scarce but my financials are in better shape than I thought, might just wait until bundles and such get announce to order again.

titan18 wrote: »
    Nah, if they don't say something at E3, things will go against them. It's going to be one of the first things everyone wants to know so they'll be asked about it, and if they keep on saying nothing, everyone will just presume the worst

True, they really do need to come out and say "we're not doing all that stuff MS is" or at least "we're not doing as much of that stuff as MS". If they turn out to be just as bad then they'll feel the hit as hard, if not harder because audiences will be more "over" Microsoft's announcements by the time they ship.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

In fairness, they've only done it once with a major console release and that still worked itself out over time. I think there were a few very basic problems that caused the PS3's poor start that are easy to address. Namely, a massive price compared to every other successful console, justifying this by focusing on it's non-gaming abilities and making a system that was hard to develop for so that it took too long to get the developers on board.

They seem to have addressed the last two already to an extent, although it'll still need SOME big game to make it worth buying at Christmas and a new COD or Battlefield (or any normally big game) that everyone can get on their current gen consoles won't do that, especially since people won't be able to play it with many of their friends online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The PS2 was kept alive by the fact that there were some great games out on it in the end and that the PS3 cost €600+.

Canceled my PS4 amazon preorder as I thought money might be scarce but my financials are in better shape than I thought, might just wait until bundles and such get announce to order again.

the PS2 was very expensive at first as well and didn't kick on until Gran Turismo and GTA3 came out. Sony got away with it because no-one trusted Sega's Dreamcast and had huge customer loyalty in the bank from the PS1. They tried the same crap with PS3 and got deservedly screwed since people were more willing to latch onto the 360.

Retrogamer says it right, don't underestimate their ability to mess it up. I think they have some bad news waiting for us too, I believe it can't be as bad as XBone though, surely!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    the PS2 was very expensive at first as well and didn't kick on until Gran Turismo and GTA3 came out. Sony got away with it because no-one trusted Sega's Dreamcast and had huge customer loyalty in the bank from the PS1. They tried the same crap with PS3 and got deservedly screwed since people were more willing to latch onto the 360.

Missed where you said "early", took alive as how long the PS2 was around and the dominant console; later in life rather than the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Rumours that Sony are aiming for a sub $400 price with the PS4.

I'm skeptical but hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Rumours that Sony are aiming for a sub $400 price with the PS4.

I'm skeptical but hopeful.

So 400eu here not so bad! I know it's only a rumor, but they cannot afford go more them 500eu.

After moving this week I finally sorted out my mancave. Only two things missing: broadband and ps4.
    I will keep ps3 in bedroom. With ps+ service I can't see going anywhere for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

€400 would be acceptable. I've about €220 worth of GameStop vouchers that I'm hanging onto. If it's €500 I probably won't buy it for a while, just too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

€500 is the limit for me for a day one console like PS4 and XBone. I'd be amazed at a €400 SKU unless it was cut back in some way.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I be impressed if the PS4 comes in at €400 euro or less.

• Advertisement

The parts in it aren't that expensive tbh. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a price under 400

Advertisement