Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Didn't Sony announce the PS3 price at E3 '05 and there was outrage. You had Phil Spencer on stage trying to justify it with the real time Spider Man facial tech demo.

PS vita price was announced on E3 if I remember right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

PS1 and PS2 too was as well. PS1 was great where the guy came on stage said 299 and walked right back off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

PS vita price was announced on E3 if I remember right.

Twas in January of the year of release iirc. I think they'll announce it at Gamescom unless the price is great which would be a great way to end a conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Otacon wrote: »
    Both consoles are mostly made with out-of-the-box components so the cost should be lower. There are still expensive components, like the GDDR5 RAM in the PS4 and the Kinect on the Xbone, but both should come in under $500.

I would expect them to both be under $/€500 too just because it's a more sensible price for a console. After the backlash from the PS3 being €600 at launch compared with the popularity of the Wii (just €250 at launch), I would say that both manufacturers are going to consider price over power more than last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

C14N wrote: »
    I would expect them to both be under $/€500 too just because it's a more sensible price for a console.
    There's no reason why they couldn't do that, they would be taking cream off both ends considering they are constantly making money off the licensing from the games.

I'm sure they have factory setup and research costs to cover but I'm sure those costs are well covered already and any losses would more than be made up for in the long run, the hardware cost is usually fairly small on these kinds of high run products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

C14N wrote: »
    I would expect them to both be under $/€500 too just because it's a more sensible price for a console. After the backlash from the PS3 being €600 at launch compared with the popularity of the Wii (just €250 at launch), I would say that both manufacturers are going to consider price over power more than last time.

When the PS3 launched you got the consider the price of a blu ray drive just to install one yourself in a PC was about €400 in 2005/2006. How long after until bluray drives were standard spec in PCs. Then there was the Cell chip, need I say more on that.

This time most parts seem off the self or slightly modified so it's only natural these consoles should be cheaper.

When the PS3 launched you got the consider the price of a blu ray drive just to install one yourself in a PC was about €400 in 2005/2006. How long after until bluray drives were standard spec in PCs. Then there was the Cell chip, need I say more on that.

This time most parts seem off the self or slightly modified so it's only natural these consoles should be cheaper.

Plus sony said, that this time a lot of costs is spread with partners, so Sony is not getting shafted with complete price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Eurogamer have already got a page up where they'll be postingt their live stream stuff... They linked a funny vid a ways back, and reposted it there. In case people hadn't seen it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I dont think Sony will announce a price today, nor will M$....Sony will wait to see what the X1 costs. Anything above 400 Euro is commercial suicide imo. 500 quid can get you an ok low-med range PC with a better CPU and GPU.

• Advertisement

The Blu-Ray drove the PS3 price sky high....as did the 90nm CELL chip....its now 45nm and moving to 32nm soon.

I expect M$ to announce/show off a new super slim 360, akin to the PS3 SS....much cheaper. Probably 199.99 with some bundle and 1 month XBLive etc.

he's a tool imo....not funny at all :rolleyes:

he's a tool imo....not funny at all :rolleyes:

Funny or not, he is fun to watch and he is more of a mortal gamer like us, then high trousers journalist like this fella:

qZOdG1w.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Rare guy just stated the new xbox is out in november.

November 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Typical. Look at our new past gen console update.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

TheInquirer have stated that Microsoft said the XBox One will have an RRP of £429Stg.

More than I was expecting TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Rael wrote: »
    TheInquirer have stated that Microsoft said the XBox One will have an RRP of £429Stg.

More than I was expecting TBH

MS announced that at their conference.

€499 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

danthefan wrote: »
    MS announced that at their conference.

€499 here.

II don't think that price is extreme, people regularly spend 600 euro on a smartphone that will last them 18 months, spending 500 on the xbox which should last at least 10 years sounds reasonable. Granted there are additional charges, but you get what you pay for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Exactly. That's a holiday or a few weekends of nights out for a lot of people. For something that should in theory last for years and get a huge amount of use, I'm not sure why people moan about the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

people regularly spend 600 euro on a smartphone that will last them 18 months

I'm one of them but to be fair it normally lasts me a bit longer then that :)

In truth the Xbox price seems reasonable though I'm looking forward to seeing if Sony go the multi price sku route (hopefully with a Vita included!)

I'd have no problem paying around that price as long as there was a decent catalogue of games to play on damn thing. It's one the reasons most people aren't early purchasers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

II don't think that price is extreme, people regularly spend 600 euro on a smartphone that will last them 18 months, spending 500 on the xbox which should last at least 10 years sounds reasonable. Granted there are additional charges, but you get what you pay for!

Yeah I use the same argument. Nintendo/Sony/MS announce a 400 or 500 price point 5 months in advance and people are complaining. Apple announce an annual iteration of one of their devices at a higher price with a day's notice and people rush out to buy it without saying a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah I use the same argument. Nintendo/Sony/MS announce a 400 or 500 price point 5 months in advance and people are complaining. Apple announce an annual iteration of one of their devices at a higher price with a day's notice and people rush out to buy it without saying a word.

That'll be a worthwhile comparison when people can get consoles for 150 quid on a 3 year contract...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Oh sh!t... dem apple fan boys be mad ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Apple announce an annual iteration of one of their devices at a higher price with a day's notice and people rush out to buy it without saying a word.

Apple devices typically do not change in price much after an upgrade actually. The galling parts are the speed of the release cycle and how little can change between upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

nesf wrote: »
    Apple devices typically do not change in price much after an upgrade actually. The galling parts are the speed of the release cycle and how little can change between upgrades.

To be honest, I don't find yearly updates that galling. What I do find galling is the 600% mark-up on apple products. I can't understand why people stomach it. Sony charged 600 quid for the ps3 and didn't actually make any profit for nearly an entire year. It was a loss leader to win the Blu-ray/HD-dvd war and it worked.

If the average punter on 400 quid a week actually knew how much Apple made on each Iphone and Ipad they sell, they would probably throw up. Or buy them anyway because they are weak idiots. What do I know? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Damn Sony well done

also the ps4 is an ugly bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So PS4 it is for me.

I would have picked up both eventually but the new Xbox has no appeal about it whatsoever. They have acted like they are a monopoly in this market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ku-medium.jpg

Advertisement