Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Go on the internet: A rock[] xbox one[X]
    Play games: a rock[] xbox one[X]
    Watch tv/netflix/sky.....: a rock[] xbox one[x]

Regardless, stupid move from Microsoft. And its pretty funny how Sony slammed them over it. The lads at Microsoft must be panicking now trying to fix the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kirby wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't find yearly updates that galling. What I do find galling is the 600% mark-up on apple products. I can't understand why people stomach it. Sony charged 600 quid for the ps3 and didn't actually make any profit for nearly an entire year. It was a loss leader to win the Blu-ray/HD-dvd war and it worked.

If the average punter on 400 quid a week actually knew how much Apple made on each Iphone and Ipad they sell, they would probably throw up. Or buy them anyway because they are weak idiots. What do I know? :P

Yeah because Samsung et al sell their high end stuff with a 120% markup. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Congrats Sony. You pretty much just won this console generation. With a single picture.

ymUneDP.jpg

Ps4 for me. :)

Edit: Video - I love the laughs at 1.17 or so. You can see how much hes enjoying announcing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

e3 2013 has looked like making a ps4 consumer out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Very simple to choose now. Preordering a PS4 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

simple choice now, price,2nd hand market/lending etc and friends getting ps4. done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I doubt trading games will be all that simple and there'll likely be some publisher restrictions (like the Online Passes or stuff like that), but still, that's really a headshot to the XBone. That and the lower price means this gen is theirs for the taking. I don't even mind about PS+ being a requirement to play online. Considering how great PS+ has been on the PS3, it's definitely something I would have been paying for anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Sony seemed to have wiped the floor altogether with MS. I can't believe MS didn't have anything hidden up their sleeves.

As a 360 owner I'm almost guaranteed to go for PS4 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Penn wrote: »
    I doubt trading games will be all that simple and there'll likely be some publisher restrictions (like the Online Passes or stuff like that), but still, that's really a headshot to the XBone. That and the lower price means this gen is theirs for the taking. I don't even mind about PS+ being a requirement to play online. Considering how great PS+ has been on the PS3, it's definitely something I would have been paying for anyway.

theres already a bit of that in the works, and haven't ea had it on all their more recent games. i think i can remember something about it on GR:FS

EDIT: yes, there was
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A code is used for full-access online play, and is a one-time use code. Used copies of the game will not have full access to online play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

really wanted to remain a xbox gamer as I prefer the 360 over the PS3 - but the price point of the PS4, the lack of DRM and the fact I don't care about the Kinnect or TV features of XBOXone mean it is highly likely it will be a PS4 for me.

I can't believe XBOX don't have any game changing features, or at least any they have spoken of. PS4 looks to be making an actual effort to be a better console than the PS3, the XboxOne just seems like MS are happy to have a Media Centre with better graphics than the 360, a lazy generation shift from a gamer point of view. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Being using the Xbox since 2002. The range of games and the controller kept me coming back after many replacements (of the 360 not original - that's still working!). But it'll be PS4 now for me. Always hated the kinect, even when it was best implemented it felt gimmicky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

folan wrote: »
    theres already a bit of that in the works, and haven't ea had it on all their more recent games. i think i can remember something about it on GR:FS

EDIT: yes, there was

As of last month that was scrapped and will not be used in the future.

Source

I'd say it will all about DLC now for future consoles. Pre order bonuses to get you to buy at day one and DLC to make you keep the game and keep paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

After all this, I'm definitely going Sony.

I've been an Xbox fanboy for years, but they're screwing over customers big time while Sony is saying all the right things....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BizzyC wrote: »
    After all this, I'm definitely going Sony.

I've been an Xbox fanboy for years, but they're screwing over customers big time while Sony is saying all the right things....

Not only are they saying the right things - they seem to genuinely have the superior console in terms of spec.

The only point MS win on is, imo, the controller, and that isn't nearly enough to even bring the console back to consideration.

Poor policies and a poorer console for a lot more money - MS have screwed up big time, and I say that as a much bigger fan of the 360 (have both consoles, rarely use the PS3 - can't remember last game I played on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Looks like the PS2 glory days are back. I still won't be buying a console but I'll probably have to upgrade my PC a bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ok I'm going to weigh in now. For the sake of reporting bias, I have both an XBox and a PS3. For ever hour I spent gaming on PS3, I spent a hundred on XBox. I am a mod of Xbox. Honestly, I bought a PS3 two years into it's lifecycle for the Blu-Ray player.

I had a feeling for almst a year that MS were getting a little cocky, in the same manner I felt that Sony were with PS3 ("the next generation doesn't start until we say so"). I felt that, if Sony take a look at the negativity that was being brewed by rumors of DRM and a block on second hand games, they would win the next gen race before it began. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect Sony to wipe the floor with MS so thoroughly.

I'm not even going to talk about the machine or the games yet. I'm going to speak as a technology customer.

As a person, I feel like Sony are saying "we know you are a gamer and here is a machine that is powerful and is dedicated to your needs. We know what you want, and despite the fact we know that placing DRM all over the place is better for us as a company, we know you don't want that as a customer. Sure, some of you may abuse this but we will take the chance you are a decent person".

On the other hand, I feel like MS are saying "we suspect you are a criminal who is intent on pirating and costing us money. To make sure you do not, we will monitor you on multiple levels. Maybe you are not a criminal but we can't take that risk. Also, if you are American, you're going to get the most use out of the console. If you are from Japan or Europe, we couldn't really care less."

Games-wise, I think it's pretty even right now. However, I found Halo 4 and GOW3 to be very boring. I did not finish the second chapter of either game. However, I loved Resistance 3 and Infamous. Personally, I'm very excited by Sony's first party stuff this gen, where I have little interest in MS. Ryse looks super but the QTE stuff is not my idea of fun gaming.

Price-wise, Sony have completely embarrased MS. 100 euro is a lot of money. MS are forcing a Kinect on me, a piece of technology I have no interest in whatsoever. I saw a Kinect and2 games for 30 euro the other day and I STILL didn't pick it up!

What could I get for 100 euro? We'll I could get my PS+ membership and 2 games in a launch deal. But here is the bit to be excited about as a gamer. If you take that 100 and trade in a few old games, you'll have a Wii U to sit beside your PS4. Why a Wii U? Wait until today's E3 Nintendo Direct as Nintendo will release news on about half a dozen AAA titles. Pure unadulterated gaming joy. I mean this from the bottom of my heart, from one gamer to another.

I will admit it freely, I have been an achievement whore, not so much in terms of getting 1000 gamer points in every game, but I like earning them more than trophies. So when I have the choice of buying a game on PS3 or Xbox, I'll buy the Xbox version just for the achievement points. And now they look like they are bastardizing this too!

Well played Sony, you have me at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I was trying to be one of the cynical "I'll wait a year or two and stick with my PC" types but I really think now that I might cave and just get a PS4 at launch. The One follow up conference was a lot better than the original and they had some really solid looking exclusives but I just wasn't very excited about anything (that I can remember at least). I really liked everything shown about the PS4 though, aside from needing Plus membership to play online. It's no biggie though, I'm not sure I've ever actually played my PS3 online. The price of just $400 (assuming I'm in Canada at the time and because it's region-free) is very appealing too.

I think bundling a basic headset with the console would be a great move for Sony. It worked for MS to really help create a stronger online community (for better or worse).

Would it be possible to add a poll to the thread? I'm just interested to know the general consensus on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Did Sony mention any games that would be available from launch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

FutureGuy wrote: »

I will admit it freely, I have been an achievement whore, not so much in terms of getting 1000 gamer points in every game, but I like earning them more than trophies. So when I have the choice of buying a game on PS3 or Xbox,I'll buy the Xbox version just for the achievement points. And now they look like they are bastardizing this too!

Not getting one on day one just so you can get the day one achievement? :P

Also one thing I thought would happen now won't be happening. The use of Eye/Kinect in most games. But now that the eye won't be bundled by default means third parties won't feel the need to integrate it into their games which means if Kinect is in a game it'll just be tacked on as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I haven't seen the Conference but can someone please clarify something for me? I keep seeing references to Sony saying that players can trade in old games, etc, but are they not leaving this up to the discretion of the publishers? If so then it could well be that the trade-in model will still be dead and this is just Sony trying to act like it isn't their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xbox one is having a year delay in asia.

According to Alan Bowman, Microsoft's Regional VP for Sales and Marketing in Asia, the new console will launch in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and India around late 2014.

No word on Japan

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/11/microsoft-plots-2014-launch-for-xbox-one-in-asia/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Varik wrote: »

According to Alan Bowman, Microsoft's Regional VP for Sales and Marketing in Asia, the new console will launch in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and India around late 2014.

No word on Japan

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/11/microsoft-plots-2014-launch-for-xbox-one-in-asia/

lolololololololol.

Oh Microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Did Sony mention any games that would be available from launch?

Killzone, Drive Club and Knack. Infamous released in Q1 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm still really really not sure which console to get!

half-trollface.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Varik wrote: »

No word on Japan

That's incredible. I know they don't really sell in Asia, but surely the idea is to not p!iss them off even more

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Unearthly wrote: »
    That's incredible. I know they don't really sell in Asia, but surely the idea is to not p!iss them off even more

Yeah that does sound like they are just giving up on asia, which is a bizarre move after they have basically shoved their core US/EU fans at Sony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm thinking I'm probably going to get a PS4 in a year or two... but I'm worried over the effect it may have...

A_itmes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pretty much agree with everything Future Guy says, the choice is a no brainer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Go on the internet: A rock[] xbox one[X]
    Play games: a rock[X] xbox one[X]
    Watch tv/netflix/sky.....: a rock[] xbox one[x]

Have you ever heard of paper, scissors, rock...:P

Advertisement