Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Plus real men play football with rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Well played Sony, you have me at launch.

Oh look, we have an opening for a moderator position on the Xbox forum. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr E wrote: »
    Oh look, we have an opening for a moderator position on the Xbox forum. :pac::pac:

As Keno said on the PS Forum, don't xbox mods have to check in every 24 hours? :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Only downside from Sony is that there charging for online play on the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

sheehy83 wrote: »
    As Keno said on the PS Forum, don't xbox mods have to check in every 24 hours? :pac:

Yep, & as you can see from above, the admins are always watching & listening to them too :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have to check everyone every 24 hours now. It's tiring man. So tired.

slurms.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will probably get both, but will definitely be getting the PS4 at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Conference but can someone please clarify something for me? I keep seeing references to Sony saying that players can trade in old games, etc, but are they not leaving this up to the discretion of the publishers? If so then it could well be that the trade-in model will still be dead and this is just Sony trying to act like it isn't their fault.

basically they are leaving it as it is. You pay a fee to the store. Sony are dropping online passes as they are charging for online play now but you get ps+ which gives you free new games. Not halo 3 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Did Sony mention any games that would be available from launch?

They confirmed Drive Club, Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall for launch anyway, which creates a pretty wide spectrum of AAA games imo. Interesting new Infamous coming out early 2014.
    Azza wrote: »

Yeah this is a bummer. They must have seen the success of XBL Gold and decided to follow. The fact that they're launching alongside the One makes it easier now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Azza wrote: »

Did they did it?! :(

Ah well, I have no way to go back as I am already hooked on ps+! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

After that, will strongly consider a PS4 at launch depending on what games are coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

C14N wrote: »
    They confirmed Drive Club, Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall for launch anyway, which creates a pretty wide spectrum of AAA games imo. Interesting new Infamous coming out early 2014.

Yeah this is a bummer. They must have seen the success of XBL Gold and decided to follow. The fact that they're launching alongside the One makes it easier now.

They said they had to invest more in their network so this will cover the costs. Well worth it if they can match or exceed Live with better servers and now they have cross chat finally. Only €50 a year and all the free games and discounts. It's a no brainer to have PS+ now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, PS+ is a bargain as is. People might complain about having to pay to play online but trust me, soon enough your only complaint will be your hard drive is too small to play all the free games instant game collection.

Was really looking forward to Drive Club and hearing it will be free for PS+ is just brilliant. Also, Outlast (that right) the FPS horror in the asylum. 2 games I was ready to throw money at will be mine to download with PS+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They said they had to invest more in their network so this will cover the costs. Well worth it if they can match or exceed Live with better servers and now they have cross chat finally. Only €50 a year and all the free games and discounts. It's a no brainer to have PS+ now.

Don't know about anyone else but with the amount of games Sony released with plus in the last month I had 40GB to download and after starting it before bed it didn't even take the 5-6 short hours of sleep I got as it was all done and installed when I checked.

Buying for exclusive games doesn't make sense to me anymore. It made sense when the 360 came out as I was a teenager and I wanted GoW and Halo. They'll swing a minority of people who'll regret it in a year.

90% of the games I buy are pre-owned too so it's a done deal for me what I'll be buying.

Yeah, PS+ is a bargain as is. People might complain about having to pay to play online but trust me, soon enough your only complaint will be your hard drive is too small to play all the free games instant game collection.

Had to replace the 500GB drive I had for a 1TB this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Varik wrote: »
    Had to replace the 500GB drive I had for a 1TB this week.

Did the same a couple of months a go as well. So many great games on PS+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I know. In fairness, I've always thought PS+ was a good deal and defended it and this is just taking it one step further. It's a bit of an annoyance but really doesn't factor into my decision at all.

That said, I won't actually buy the subscription. I've never played my PS3 online (that I recall) and thanks to stuff like Steam sales, I have such a massive game backlog that free games is becoming a turn-off :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Heading to New York in December and might pick up a PS4. With sales tax at 8.75% in NYC it will come to $435 which is 327 euros. Is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Heading to New York in December and might pick up a PS4. With sales tax at 8.75% in NYC it will come to $435 which is 327 euros. Is this right?

Figures seem right. Only thing is if you are returning back to Ireland (which I presume you are) is there not a risk of you being stopped with it at an Irish airport and forced to pay duties on it? December would be a busy time of the year for passengers bringing back goods.

• Advertisement

Figures seem right. Only thing is if you are returning back to Ireland (which I presume you are) is there not a risk of you being stopped with it at an Irish airport and forced to pay duties on it? December would be a busy time of the year for passengers bringing back goods.

I'd be more worried about if something went wrong down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Is Drive Club free to people who sign up to PS+ on the PS4 or just for people who already have it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Momentarily contemplated getting it at launch but I think i'll have to restrain myself unless my finances are working in favour of it at the time. I'm astonished by how much they fecked with microsoft this year. :pac:

Edit: Scratch that, i'll just not eat for my college year and pay a deposit towards it while picking up The Last of US..... Woah, that didn't take long to change my mind.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Is Drive Club free to people who sign up to PS+ on the PS4 or just for people who already have it ?

People who sign up too, but it's a Drive Club Plus Edition, which means it'll probably be a bit stripped compared to a purchased version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    People who sign up too, but it's a Drive Club Plus Edition, which means it'll probably be a bit stripped compared to a purchased version.

thats what I thought too. It will be choped down edition for sure. Maybe they will give better special deal for ps+ users to buy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Looks like I'll be buying a PS4.

Dunno if I'll get it on launch though, I've bought too many consoles on launch that have just sat around useless waiting for the AAA titles to come out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From a very high level, based on initial launches DRM and price - I'd tend to the PS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The perfect scenario here is that Microsoft run away with their tails between their legs and announce next month that they are dropping all the DRM/second hand games stuff.

Then I'll buy both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The perfect scenario here is that Microsoft run away with their tails between their legs and announce next month that they are dropping all the DRM/second hand games stuff.

Then I'll buy both.

Can you throw up a poll please! It's only right that a thread about which console is better should have a poll. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

My plan had always been to get a Wii U and Playstation 4. That was even the order. I had planned on getting the One for sure until the online every 24 hours thing came out. At that point, my purchase of a One was contingent on there being games so good as to make me get over the online thing. I'm trying to sort it in my head what games are exclusive to both consoles, but I know, for instance, the only Xbox One exclusive that really has me interested is D4. That alone is definitely not enough to make me buy a system, even leaving aside my annoyance with the online thing. I wasn't planning on getting the PS4 at launch, and it wasn't merely a matter of cost, but that I have way too much of a backlog to go through.

PS4 has The Order, Outlast, Final Fantasy 15 which I definitely want to see more on. I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game before. What's the story with going in to them without having played the ones before? I don't like jumping in to something in the middle, so if it's something that doesn't depend on your playing what came before, I'll look in to it more then. We know that Namco are going to be bringing Tales games to the PS4. I think JRPGs are pretty much all going to be on PS4 this time around. Really looks like MS are ignoring the Japan market... To the point that they aren't getting the console for a year.

Multiplat titles that I want are: The Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Metal Gear Solid 5.

Advertisement