Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

VinLieger wrote: »
    Pressure from publishers is the most popular theory

Surely MS would know the effect it would have and just disregard the idea. It doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Surely MS would know the effect it would have and just disregard the idea. It doesn't make sense.

Aww your so naive how cute, money beats logic everytime.

You see MS were also betting Sony would follow suit and then they would be fine. MS either just didnt care cus publishers promised them more money OR had very bad info that Sony was gonna do the same. Im guessing it was a combination of the two

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

You see MS were also betting Sony would follow suit and then they would be fine. MS either just didnt care cus publishers promised them more money OR had very bad info that Sony was gonna do the same. Im guessing it was a combination of the two

Publishers surely couldn't offer enough money to offset the drastic drop in sales? Not very up to date on the whole thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

In regards to PC gaming it is better, but not suited to a living room. That's the bottom line really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Publishers surely couldn't offer enough money to offset the drastic drop in sales? Not very up to date on the whole thing...

They can promise exclusives and timed DLC etc which equals more money to MS.
    Its a risky gamble honestly by MS and the publishers and all this bluster from customers means nothing yet, we really wont know anything till at leat 6 months after the launch of both.
    Everyone remembers the whole boycott Modern Warfare 2 thing? http://kotaku.com/5403286/what-modern-warfare-2-boycotters-are-playing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think the vast majority of people either don't/won't know or won't really care all that much about it. They more than likely won't see it as a dealbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Just read this comment on TheJournal.ie :rolleyes:
    I’ll still be sticking with Microsoft on this one. People taking up arms because the Xbox one will have an “all in one” feel to it, what’s wrong with that? That’s ideal. I already use my 360 for nearly everything anyway so I don’t see this as a problem. The future is here, embrace it :)
    Also, because they’re making it an all in one style gaming console, I doubt very much that it will affect their game play emphasis. Ultimately, the only people that will buy it will be gamers so to say that it’s emphasis will be off game play and more driven towards a media center is ridiculous. I’m sure the PS4 will be a huge hit, but I’ve always preferred Xbox usability so that’s why I’ll be sticking to it. Can’t wait for it…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Grayditch wrote: »
    Maybe I'll head into the Reggae thread and tell people they should listen to Jazz.

Its more like heading to the music forum and telling people that watching the X Factor isn't okay just because you can't be arsed looking for proper music :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Then you have this guy. This guy is me basically except I like how the PS4 looks.

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/playstation-4-is-the-gamers-choice-for-next-gen-6409777/?edition=desktop

The interesting thing about the XB1 (or whatever its going to be called now) is that microsoft laid their stall out like they had a monopoly on the console market. What the f**k made them think that is anybodys guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

In regards to PC gaming it is better, but not suited to a living room. That's the bottom line really.

My gaming PC is in the living room... (it is also my work while watching the kids machine though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

They can promise exclusives and timed DLC etc which equals more money to MS.
    Its a risky gamble honestly by MS and the publishers and all this bluster from customers means nothing yet, we really wont know anything till at leat 6 months after the launch of both.
    Everyone remembers the whole boycott Modern Warfare 2 thing? http://kotaku.com/5403286/what-modern-warfare-2-boycotters-are-playing

I don't think that's quite the same. This largely isn't about people deciding to boycott the One as a protest, this is about people just not wanting to bother with the console or choosing the PS4 or Wii U instead. I think with the Modern Warfare issue, a lot of people really wanted to play it (the people most upset were likely the biggest COD fans) but said they wouldn't just on principle and then as the famous screenshot showed, they just didn't have the willpower. Succumbing to the draw of the One won't be quite so easy since it has a €500 price tag.

Several people, including me, have mentioned throughout the thread that this whole outrage will probably only make a difference to the more serious gamers and that the casual will still lap it up but I'm starting to not think so anymore. I mentioned the console announcements at dinner with the family and my 12 year old brother and 17 year old sister both told me how stupid the One was before I could say anything. I was surprised they even knew what it was. My sister would be the definition of a casual gamer (most played games would probably be Just Dance, The Dog Island and all games "Wii x") and she couldn't figure out why anyone would want one.

I just thought it was interesting that even young kids (my brother said his who class were discussing it), many of whom will be asking for a new system for Christmas, and people with little interest in the medium at all still think it's a bad console.

Thing is, with a console everyone knows what playing field they are on and with their friends for a gaming generation. With a PC you have to upgrade every 2 years or so with a faster GPU to play the latest games and everyone is on different hardware configs getting different experiences from the same game, downloading the latest drivers etc. Every PS4 and XBO player will experience games like their friends the same way on an equal playing field.

Anyway this is all about the PS4 vs the XBO. PCs have no place here. Apples and oranges being thrown around a slaughter house comes to mind.

MS hits back with a deflection after Sony gave them a proper flogging.

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-responds-to-xbox-one-backlash-this-isnt-a-sprint-6409849/
    Microsoft has responded to the backlash surrounding the Xbox One and its controversial used game and connectivity policies. Speaking with GameSpot today, corporate vice president at Microsoft Game Studios Phil Spencer said gamers will ultimately vote with their wallets.

He's right, they already are with PS4 pre orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-responds-to-xbox-one-backlash-this-isnt-a-sprint-6409849/

Ah the we are rubber you are glue defense, smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Did he not pay attention to 2007 Sony? It's like they're trying to copy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I don't know which one, keep switching. Theres still loads of time left.

C14N wrote: »
    I don't think that's quite the same. This largely isn't about people deciding to boycott the One as a protest, this is about people just not wanting to bother with the console or choosing the PS4 or Wii U instead. I think with the Modern Warfare issue, a lot of people really wanted to play it (the people most upset were likely the biggest COD fans) but said they wouldn't just on principle and then as the famous screenshot showed, they just didn't have the willpower. Succumbing to the draw of the One won't be quite so easy since it has a €500 price tag.

Several people, including me, have mentioned throughout the thread that this whole outrage will probably only make a difference to the more serious gamers and that the casual will still lap it up but I'm starting to not think so anymore. I mentioned the console announcements at dinner with the family and my 12 year old brother and 17 year old sister both told me how stupid the One was before I could say anything. I was surprised they even knew what it was. My sister would be the definition of a casual gamer (most played games would probably be Just Dance, The Dog Island and all games "Wii x") and she couldn't figure out why anyone would want one.

I just thought it was interesting that even young kids (my brother said his who class were discussing it), many of whom will be asking for a new system for Christmas, and people with little interest in the medium at all still think it's a bad console.

It began many months ago. I remember a chat a while back with one of my brothers-in-law. He's a hardcore console gamer and we've spent years happily throwing barbs across at each and generally taking the piss out of each other's chosen platform. The thing is, he turned to me and said he was seriously considering going down the PC route if any of the DRM rumours about the XBox were true. I was quite shocked at this to be honest because he'd (successfully) argued for years that hardware-wise PC gaming is a money pit compared to console gaming usually (though normally you make back some of that with PC games being cheaper generally).

When I see someone I consider to be a prime example of a diehard console devotee talk about switching to the "dreaded PC" I do genuinely worry about the gamer side of the console market. They really cannot afford to be alienating people like him. I bet our next conversation will be about the PS4 though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Thing is, with a console everyone knows what playing field they are on and with their friends for a gaming generation. With a PC you have to upgrade every 2 years or so with a faster GPU to play the latest games and everyone is on different hardware configs getting different experiences from the same game, downloading the latest drivers etc. Every PS4 and XBO player will experience games like their friends the same way on an equal playing field.

Anyway this is all about the PS4 vs the XBO. PCs have no place here. Apples and oranges being thrown around a slaughter house comes to mind.

Exactly my thoughts, I really wish people would stop bringing PC in to discussions about the Xbox One vs PS4. Nobody gives a **** if you think PC is better than them. Nobody cares. Not one single tiny ****.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Exactly my thoughts, I really wish people would stop bringing PC in to discussions about the Xbox One vs PS4. Nobody gives a **** if you think PC is better than them. Nobody cares. Not one single tiny ****.

Id like to thank this post a couple of times if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Sony could have walked on stage, punched a baby in the face, dropped the mic, walked off and still have won E3 thanks to it's DRM policy.

MS just committed corporate suicide with it's DRM stance.

MS are the kings of software licensing, they have more knowledge in the field than the rest combined. I bet they know where they are going with this one.

For the record im a PS guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

i really need a poo going be flushing a number one instead...

bingobars wrote: »
    MS are the kings of software licensing, they have more knowledge in the field than the rest combined. I bet they know where they are going with this one.

For the record im a PS guy

If microsoft have shown anything over the last few years its that they don't have a clue where they're going in the modern consumer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Chinpool wrote: »
    Did he not pay attention to 2007 Sony? It's like they're trying to copy them.

It is kinda like they've switched roles for this gen. Microsoft with overpricedness, and overfocus on the non-gaming side that plagues the PS3's infancy, whilst Sony have seemingly pilfered what the 360 got right, with the online paywall and courting of the indies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Bambi wrote: »
    If microsoft have shown anything over the last few years its that they don't have a clue where they're going in the modern consumer market.

This is nothing but sheer arrogance and/or mismanagement. Obviously somewhere high up along the line someone has made the decision for DRM. It's a done deal at this stage and perhaps is the result of a deal with some publishers to develop for the Xbox One or some other contractual obligation they have to fulfil. There is no way a company would continue to force the DRM and 'Always on' features upon us after the backlash that Microsoft have received unless there was something legally binding them to it. If this is a move MS is not 'obliged' to make then its clear arrogance from someone within. You'd have to imagine that a lot of the project team working on the Xbox One are gamers themselves so naturally you'd assume that they can see what's wrong with it.

A decision has been made and they're sticking to it. That decision is going to kill the Xbox One unless the publishers decide to enforce their own DRM policy on the PS4 and that is very unlikely. You'd have to think that most of the Xbox One project team are looking at probably millions of dollars of market research thinking what the fu*k are they doing?

As it stands the PS4 is going to decimate the Xbox One and this is coming from someone who favoured the 360 this gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This is nothing but sheer arrogance and/or mismanagement. Obviously somewhere high up along the line someone has made the decision for DRM. It's a done deal at this stage and perhaps is the result of a deal with some publishers to develop for the Xbox One or some other contractual obligation they have to fulfil. There is no way a company would continue to force the DRM and 'Always on' features upon us after the backlash that Microsoft have received unless there was something legally binding them to it. If this is a move MS is not 'obliged' to make then its clear arrogance from someone within. You'd have to imagine that a lot of the project team working on the Xbox One are gamers themselves so naturally you'd assume that they can see what's wrong with it.

A decision has been made and they're sticking to it. That decision is going to kill the Xbox One unless the publishers decide to enforce their own DRM policy on the PS4 and that is very unlikely. You'd have to think that most of the Xbox One project team are looking at probably millions of dollars of market research thinking what the fu*k are they doing?

As it stands the PS4 is going to decimate the Xbox One and this is coming from someone who favoured the 360 this gen.
    Or maybe, just maybe, there's more to the decision than just DRM? I outlined this hypothesis here but I'd imagine it's going to be pointless to return to the topic until E3 fever has died down.

DarkJager wrote: »

For some its secret options number three , that has become more relevant due to its open platform, if the two big players **** it up its fall back .People also talk about it as not everyone is computer illiterate so see the advantage in it.

I'd much rather see the odd discussion about it than the console fanboys venting their spleen as their pet toy is perceived as being under attack .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Calhoun wrote: »
    For some its secret options number three , that has become more relevant due to its open platform, if the two big players **** it up its fall back .People also talk about it as not everyone is computer illiterate so see the advantage in it.

I'd much rather see the odd discussion about it than the console fanboys venting their spleen as their pet toy is perceived as being under attack .

Most of the complaints levelled at the Xbox are equally valid with regards the PC. No second hand games, no lending or swapping, games are typically tied to an account. Sure there is no 24 hour activation crap but that didn't stop ubisoft doing worse. And this is coming from a pc gamer who will probably not buy a console (if I do buy one it will probably be a PS4).

Most of the complaints levelled at the Xbox are equally valid with regards the PC. No second hand games, no lending or swapping, games are typically tied to an account. Sure there is no 24 hour activation crap but that didn't stop ubisoft doing worse. And this is coming from a pc gamer who will probably not buy a console (if I do buy one it will probably be a PS4).

I don't disagree , the only benefit in some respects is steam can be turned to offline ect and then you have the sims debacle which is best example or how crap pc can get .

I am a pc gamer , I also own all current gen consoles bar the wii u, im keeping an open mind on all platforms I just think its not as clear cut as Xbox v ps4 .

• Advertisement

In exchange we get regular deep sales cuts though and things like the Rome Total War 2, a big and highly anticipated AAA strategy game by one of the top developers in the genre was selling as a pre-order for 25% off and the first DLC thrown in. It's not a perfect bargain by any means but at least online-only is rather unusual in PC gaming at the moment, though I worry that this will change.

That Microsoft weren't hyping up a Steam like sales model, or decent discounts on pre-orders to take some of the sting out of the DRM lockdown worried me quite a bit. It made it really look like a money grab, which really opened them up for a sucker punch from Sony.

Advertisement