Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

As it stands, the big standouts for PS4 weren't confirmed as exclusives either—most was exclusive downloadable content—but are exciting anyway. Final Fantasy XV (formerly FF Versus XIII) and Kingdom Hearts 3 are both big wins for the console, even if they're only arriving there before the Xbox One. Microsoft showed a new Halo, Ryse: Son of Rome, Killer Instinct, a new Forza, an actually pretty cool murder mystery called D4, and the supposedly TV-crossover Quantum Break, but none of those really landed flush the way Microsoft needed them to after inadvertently stepping into the hornets nest of gamers.
    ... And they peg the winner as PS4. Now, a case could be made for the PS4... But surely a better case could be made than titles that are going to be released on PS4 and XO. We don't even know that it'll be out on PS4 first.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-final-fantasy-15-set-for-xbox-one-too

Now, the only thing that really has my attention now with the One is D4 whereas I want to see more on the PS4 stuff shown at E3 though I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The new XB1 rep system could be good once it's not open to abuse.

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/11/xbox-one-smart-match/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The only way I can see Microsoft competing on an even foot now is if as part of the deal with publishers to restrict second hand sales, said publishers are willing to take less of a cut per sale and drop the RRP of new titles significantly as theoretically they will be getting more sales with the used market reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm curious about how important it is to own a tablet going into this generation. Saw a lot of live demos this E3 with people using tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm curious about how important it is to own a tablet going into this generation. Saw a lot of live demos this E3 with people using tablets.

Every generation the rule tends to be that if it's not a compulsory component of the console it will only be utilised in marginal ways so as not to reduce the percentage of console owners that can play your game. That's why imo Microsoft are making the kinect compulsory so designers can implement it without greatly reducing potential sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What about the air strikes in dead rising 3? There are smartglass exclusive missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ShooterSF wrote: »
    The only way I can see Microsoft competing on an even foot now is if as part of the deal with publishers to restrict second hand sales, said publishers are willing to take less of a cut per sale and drop the RRP of new titles significantly as theoretically they will be getting more sales with the used market reduced.

If only!

I can see them changing nothing, despite the negative reaction.

A reaction they seem to not even notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

they wanted to create an all in one entertainment device that uses an internet connection to do all sorts of things, they created an all in one entertainment device that uses an internet connection to do all sorts of things.
    Probably shouldnt have priced it at a point that only hardcore gamers will pay then, oops. You could buy a 50 euro android stick to do these 'all sorts of things'. Smart TVs do them already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Right, trying to get away from the drm/always on malarkey.

caught up on some of the release trailers yesterday. And my initial reaction was :o

Ryse looks superawesome! Titanfall, even my Mrs was impressed. The one that caught her eye was PVZ: Garden Warfare. And she is by no means a gamer, even casual gamer is too strong.

For me, the Xbone seemed to handle the games better, PS4 honestly didn't seem much better than current gen.

I've been swayed back from "Xbone? no fùcking way" to "Xbone? Well, maybe"

Ryse looked superawesome? It looked decent before it became a QTE fest, this person had a hands on and weren't impressed

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »

Do MS even realise that they are "down"?

No....they seem way too arrogant this gen to notice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Do MS even realise that they are "down"?

No....they seem way too arrogant this gen to notice that.

They operate with their heads in the sand most of the time. They did it with Win8.

If sales are ****. they will backtrack, someone will be "resigned" and they will say that they will provide a better customer experience by introducing a fall update where they might undo some of the restriction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭micks_address

its interesting.. i bought a ps3 on launch day and have had a few iterations since.. to me this time it looks like sony learned from the mistakes of the ps3 and instead of a mega expensive machine with a complicated architecture have gone for a much simpler design, which has the power to deliver the games..

the cell processor badly impacted the sales of the ps3.. just by having a raised price and harder to code for machine.. .. and most would argue that the xbox 360 games looked as good if not better in most cases where you had the same titles.

This time Microsoft have gone all out which a more expensive machine.. and this always on business.. seems a bit short sighted.. of course if you take the fact that the ps4 doesnt include the camera in the package and that the x box one does.. then the price difference is probably only really about 30 euro..

bit of a mean comment by microsoft to say if you dont have internet to stick with the 360... but i suppose the reality is most people do have internet these days.. at least in urban areas?

im not quite sure how the dvr aspect of the x box one will fit in with most peoples sat systems like sky hd etc... it might work for freesat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

im not quite sure how the dvr aspect of the x box one will fit in with most peoples sat systems like sky hd etc... it might work for freesat?
    They've said they plan to support the 360 for another 5 years. Given that, what should they have said? I'm not just asking you, but all people who hold this view. Should they have said..

A) No comment.
    B) Buy a PS4.
    C) Buy a PS3.
    D) Sorry about that, we made a mistake.

D was never going to happen. Nor were any of the others. Really wondering what people wanted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Pushtrak wrote: »
    They've said they plan to support the 360 for another 5 years. Given that, what should they have said? I'm not just asking you, but all people who hold this view. Should they have said..

A) No comment.
    B) Buy a PS4.
    C) Buy a PS3.

D was never going to happen. Nor were any of the others. Really wondering what people wanted here.

There is no right answer but i wished the interviewer had went down the ps4 route

they shouldnt have put themselves in that position. their entire reveal was a hit and run. They're trying to hide from it by avoiding press conferences. The press are completely right to beat the xbone and MS into the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭micks_address

wll they could have said, hmm we'll review the situation if its really an issue for people once the console goes on sale.. its probably just a firmware update to change anyway..

A) No comment.
    B) Buy a PS4.
    C) Buy a PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Xbox Boss Don Mattrick.
    "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360," Mattrick said. "If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-xbox-one-will-be-leading-product-people-love-and-embrace-6409895/

Well there you have it. MS's attitude to its customers of next gen. Take it of leave it kinda way ins't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Anyone got letters from gamestop? Trade in value is shockingly bad!

Xbox Boss Don Mattrick.

That's a bad attitude.

Does matter how much the media bashes MS, they won't budge.

Long may this bashing of them continue.

Anyone got letters from gamestop? Trade in value is shockingly bad!

Letters, not yet.

I got an email tho. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Letters, not yet.

I got an email tho. :pac:

sorry :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Anyone know how much gamestop give for Xbox 360 Slim with a few games?

Anyone know how much gamestop give for Xbox 360 Slim with a few games?

249.99 for the slim and 4 games (from a selected list).

299.99 for slim and 2 games.

249.99 for the slim and 4 games (from a selected list).

299.99 for slim and 2 games.

I meant how much would they give me if I traded it in.
    Those prices seem very high, doubt they'd give that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I meant how much would they give me if I traded it in.
    Those prices seem very high, doubt they'd give that much.

They're the price of the X1 if you trade in those things.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    They're the price of the X1 if you trade in those things.

Ah, I meant just in-store credit or cash, I have no interest in buying the Xbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Ah, I meant just in-store credit or cash, I have no interest in buying the Xbone.

Just going by the e-mail, they're giving €140 if you trade in a 250gb slim, so that would be the ceiling if you were to trade one in. You might not get as much without it going towards the X1 but at least it gives an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

A) No comment.
    B) Buy a PS4.
    C) Buy a PS3.

Or there's the option that anyone with a semblance of nous in the field of communications would probably have gone with -

E) That's something we're aware of, but with internet infrastructure improving all the time, it's not something we envisage being a long term issue. The truth is that "calling home" doesn't need a high speed, or even reliable, connection - the device is going to send a digital handshake to our servers, which will respond in kind, activating the next 24 hour period. It might be an inconvenience for a small number of users, but there are workarounds. For example you could create a hot spot with your cell phone and use that to call home before disconnecting, even those still on dial up could use the system to call home. If that's not an option for some, however, we have a great lineup of Xbox 360 games coming in the next 12-24 months which will definitely keep players entertained until the online infrastructure in their area is compatible with the device. When it comes to the long-term future of the console, and Microsoft's plan for the Xbox ecosystem, we believe that this will greatly benefit the vast majority of our users - even if it seems a little restrictive at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

COYVB wrote: »
    When it comes to the long-term future of the console, and Microsoft's plan for the Xbox ecosystem, we believe that this will greatly benefit the vast majority of our users - even if it seems a little restrictive at first.
    How does it benefit users?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

COYVB wrote: »

E) helpful, informative response

But that would be completely out of line with the PR suicide campaign MS are going for with the XBone.

Advertisement