Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

drumswan wrote: »
    How does it benefit users?

I didn't say it did. I was simply offering a much more palatable suggestion for what Mattrick SHOULD have said, which MS would then take and run with. I'm sure they've got some justifications in their crazy minds of why this is beneficial too the consumer, however far fetched they may be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

COYVB wrote: »
    Or there's the option that anyone with a semblance of nous in the field of communications would probably have gone with -
    Ok, you presented a far better way of responding to the issue. But lets face it, most people who are posting aren't annoyed because they didn't say that but it's just a continuation of being annoyed about the fact of the policy itself. Which of course is perfectly understandable. I think people are just hoping for a "I didn't think of that. We should change this now" reaction. Speculation on my part, but I'm pretty confident on it.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I think people are just hoping for a "I didn't think of that. We should change this now" reaction. Speculation on my part, but I'm pretty confident on it.

That's not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there a list of each system's launch titles? I know Sony announced a few that would be available but don't think MS did

COYVB wrote: »
    That's not going to happen
    Oh, I know, but people who are complaining about what they said are more annoyed that it isn't an immediate backtrack on the policy, rather than a lack of tact, I think. Though I really would like if they backtracked on the policy. Not holding my breath on it.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is there a list of each system's launch titles? I know Sony announced a few that would be available but don't think MS did

"Launch title" doesn't really mean what it used to these days - you're listening out for the phrase "day one title" to signify actual launch day release, "launch title" means out in the 6 months after the console

Oh, I know, but people who are complaining about what they said are more annoyed that it isn't an immediate backtrack on the policy, rather than a lack of tact, I think. Though I really would like if they backtracked on the policy. Not holding my breath on it.

I dunno, for me personally it was the sheer pigheadedness of the response that really stood out

Saw this posted elsewhere...

Based off the bundles at Gamestop...

PS4 (12):
    - Knack
    - COD: Ghosts
    - Killzone: Shadow Fall
    - Drive Club
    - Watchdogs
    - Battlefield 4
    - NBA Live 14
    - NFS Rivals
    - AC IV
    - Madden NFL 25
    - Fifa 14
    - NBA 2K14

*** 3-4 indie titles
    *** Infamous is within the launch window by 2-3 months

XBOX ONE (11/13) :
    - COD: Ghosts
    - Dead Rising 3 (?)
    - Ryse (?)
    - Forza 5
    - Watchdogs
    - Battlefield 4
    - NBA Live 14
    - NFS Rivals
    - AC IV
    - Madden NFL 25
    - Fifa 14
    - NBA 2K14
    - Kinect Sports Rival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

How will I choose between these two consoles? While I do like the look of the PS4 more than the XBone, I think I shall wait until a month or two and see what the opinions are from the early adapters and buy/not buy accordingly. I see both platforms offering some features and games I like and they both have their flaws. While their has been quite some nerdrage and fanboism I hope that my thoughts and opinions will be of some use to someone.
    Now if I am wrong is some regard, please correct me.

XBone Pros:
    • It seems the most family oriented device of the two. It is designed for the living room - games, tv, skype calls, and I would imagine much more along with the Win8 app integration and the fact it uses the HDMI passthrough.
    • This is further re-enforced by the fact that users will not need to hold on to their game discs. While I do not have a kid, I would imagine their is that risk factor of your discs being shattered or scratched.
    • Now a single gold account will activate multiplayer and other gold privileges for all accounts on that system as if they had gold. Families will no long have to shell out for a family subscription plan.
    • Also, you can share your game libraries with family. So you own a game of Halo which is linked to your account. If you set up your family setting correctly, your wife can play it on the same console. Your son can play it on his console in the playroom (if you are a household with two of these consoles). Your brother can play it in his own house. Of course, only one person can play the single game at one time, but sharing libraries is a big benefit for the given situation.

Moving away from the family and more to 'core gamer' focus
    • The standard controller for launch is very nice.
    • The voice communications system on the controller has a new port on the bottom which apparently gives what has been described as phone quality output.
    • Improved Kinect (may not be for core gamer). However, if you have a few friends over, the console will tell the game during a splitscreen session something along the lines of: "Ok Dave115 is sitting on the most leftward, he will be in the top left of the screen." Handy, but meh.
    • Dedicated servers available for multiplayer if devs what to use them.

XBone Cons:
    • The one that is being screamed the loudest - DRM system. The requirement to log in on regular basis could be more hassle than it is worth. I understand it is necessary for the family orientated pros listed above (and to combat piracy), but I can speculate a number of scenarios where you will be snookered. Even if most things are a once off - moving house or broadband goes out, people ask why not use your phone? We do not know how much data these check-ins will use. System and game updates will be done through these service and current data pans for mobile users (if you have one) will kill you on these.
    • Fight for your privacy. Ok, tin foil hat time. A camera and a mict hat is in your living room that uses Skype. Remember, Skype has backdoors. And the advertisements that you will be bombarded with will be tailored to your likes. You and your family with have what might be considered an invasive profile assigned to them.
    • Used games. The restrictions but in place requires only retailers with MS software to retail games. This will lead to higher costs associated with the second hand market with regards this platform. I would imagine training, licencing costs and additional man hours being the factors. This will lead to higher sale costs to the consumer.
    • "Hidden costs"
      So you have a family. You will want to buy an extra three controllers, I suppose that is to be expected. On top of that, you will need more than likely four battery kits. When ether they are AA or AAA, you will want to buy battery packs to be cost effective. Rechargeable AA/AAAs maybe viable, but I have had poor experiences with them personally in a 360 controller.
    • You need to buy a licenced xbox mic, or an approved third party mic, or a licenced adapter. MS have some level of control re that new headset port. We could be looking at some increased prices through having to pay for licencing and lack of competition in the headset market.
    • It is doubtful cross platform chat with other consoles will occur.
    • These servers will no doubt cost money. I would speculate that devs and publishers will have to pay premium rates and as a result games may have a shorter online life cycle.
    • Due to the HDMI passthrough, I reckon that there will be some level of lag created. It may be fine for watching TV as lag and delays are not a problem - that is what it is designed for. However, using another console will not be viable as an input.

I imagine this console will appeal to a lot of people. MS has given a good product for a family entertainment device. They have a very closed and protected infrastructure with an emphasis on quality.
    It is not for me, not yet. I am a little paranoid about the privacy thing, but it is the over emphasis on online connectivity and the bloody cloud that kills it for me. I do not see having discless games as a positive factor for me - especially if it is quicker to flick through a CD case than to find it through the menus. So that leaves me with a handful of pros and a rake of cons. Despite being a fan of the XBox 360 I will not buy this on release date, but sure I will see how things pan out. I may end up getting one for the exclusives in a year or few (and then unplugging it when not is use).

PS4 Pros:
    • Some catching up was done to be on par with the xbox360's chat was done and made some improvements. There are parties and cross game party chat. It seems to have both voice and text communication blended together and going from the video, I think you can name the chat room.
    • To further develop this, consoles will be shipped with a barebones wired headset for chat.
    • If you use the headset port on the controller, a cheap wire adapter will allow you use any standard 3.5mm headset. (I speculate)
    • PS4 Controllers have a rechargeable battery pack built in and use standard mini usb cables to charge.
    • A DRM system that worked last gen is being kept on. Happy days.
    • A good relationship with indie devs has been announced. More indie games hopefully.
    • No internet required for playing games.
    • Possibly easier to buy and sell games. There are no restrictions announced by Sony to impose restrictions, the likes of Ubisoft and EA may have business models that will. This maybe is better than an absolutely.
    • Ability to pop in a better HDD or a SSD. This will no doubt help its life cycle as data storage becomes cheaper with respect to time.

PS4 Cons:
    • Lack of dedicated servers available for devs and publishers to the extent of the XBone.
    • One less button. So the select button has been done away with in favour of a share button. This will affect multiplatform games.

Ok, I do not have many cons for the PS4. I do not think that there is enough information there for me to draw up a list to match the XBone's above. No doubt these will become apparent when the system launches.

As it is I must say I am impressed. There is no announced intrusion from Sony on the way we play games.
    However I have not owned a Sony system since the PSOne, and I have been a little spoiled from Xbox Live and there are certain things that I would consider standard and hope to expect from if I were to buy a PS4. The party system was one thing, so I look forward to more details on that as time progresses as the social side of gaming is a big factor to me. I may not share or stream content, but being able to play and talk to friends is a big plus. News on if it will be just 1to1 convos or 16 player and how parties will integrate into a game remains to be seen.

I predict that the XBone will up their voice comms with higher integration to their games. With the Xbox360, games like Black Ops worked with the party chat - someone in your party talking was displayed as speaking in game. That was a small feature, but I believe that we will see positional audio in chat in the next generation.
    For those who not not know what this is, if someone was speaking to your right, you will hear them their like in Amra of using Mumble on the PC. I reckon the XBone's new headset connection will allow this for both authorised stereo and surround sound headsets. If the PS4 will do it, I am unsure but hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I believe MS will have Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, and Ryse. I think Watch Dogs and AC4, BF4 and CoD Ghosts with be on both too at launch.

I prefare XBO's launch games but still getting a PS4.

• Advertisement

Neither system is a must buy at launch for exclusives. The good ones are not only multiplatform, but you largely will have to decide is it worth buying a next gen console for the games you can own on current hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Here's the latest from Eurogamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I believe MS will have Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, and Ryse. I think Watch Dogs and AC4, BF4 and CoD Ghosts with be on both too at launch.

I prefare XBO's launch games but still getting a PS4.

Me too. I really want to fecking play Forza 5, it looked absolutely immense. :(

But as I said previously, I can't justify an extra €100 on a console I believe to be inferior just for a racing game. Instead I'm hoping Driveclub is great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I want Arkham Origins for the PS4....:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

, but you largely will have to decide is it worth buying a next gen console for the games you can own on current hardware.

For me graphically, yes. The 360/PS3 can look old and tired at times but still remarkable considering their age. FarCry 3 shows their limitations with the backdrops, detail and draw distance for example. That and I need to move on from the DS3 controller, it's crippling my hands with cramps and I keep going back to the 360. Can't wait to try out the bigger and chunkier DS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

CORaven wrote: »

PS4 Cons:
    [*]Lack of dedicated servers available for devs and publishers to the extent of the XBone.
    [*]One less button. So the select button has been done away with in favour of a share button. This will affect multiplatform games.
    [/list]

PS4 has the options button which is on the other side of the touchpad, and the touchpad itself is clickable so that acts as another button. So we're actually gaining a button.

And we don't know if there is a lack of dedicated servers yet. Since PS+ is a requirement now its possible that they'll add it, many games on PS3 have dedicated servers even though its a free service.

And party chat was confirmed for PS4. PS4 controller input also allows for stereo surround, not sure if the Xbone's does, but that is a proprietary connection so you can only use officially licensed headsets.

For me graphically, yes. The 360/PS3 can look old and tired at times but still remarkable considering their age. FarCry 3 shows their limitations with the backdrops, detail and draw distance for example. That and I need to move on from the DS3 controller, it's crippling my hands with cramps and I keep going back to the 360. Can't wait to try out the bigger and chunkier DS4.
    I really hope the DS4 is a big improvement on the DS3. If it is, then I'll likely end up getting the cross gen games there rather than on current gen when I catch up. I really have no idea when I'll be ready to buy next gen in terms of my backlog.

I like doing games 100% but the last couple of days I've had a bit of a slog getting some stuff done. I'm thinking of cutting back on my time to given games beyond what is necessary. I do have too many games to catch up on, so the feck acting should stop, really. If you've played Kingdoms of Amalur, and know the find every lorestone, or if you don't just those find X achievements as an illustration, and even bothering to go for them. I've just been asking myself "why bother".

This should be a poll ! !

I think a poll would be best as a sticky in November. That's where things will be really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

image_304219_620.jpg

A size comparison between the different consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Deano7788 wrote: »
    image_304219_620.jpg

A size comparison between the different consoles.

The xbox one better not only be quiet but also absorb any nearby noises at that size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »

WTF... No way it will be out with all those games! Surely there is some mistake in there. A good few games in that list are not even announced properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

WTF... No way it will be out with all those games! Surely there is some mistake in there. A good few games in that list are not even announced properly.

They're not all launch titles, just titles announced for the console in general.

What Deano7788 said above. The currently confirmed exclusive launch titles are Killzone, Infamous, Knack and DriveClub.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    They're not all launch titles, just titles announced for the console in general.

List is sick anyway. I wonder when will they port Dust514 in to ps4. I LOVE EVE, but Dust on ps3 looks really damn horrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Infamous isn't a launch title

ShaneU wrote: »
    Infamous isn't a launch title
    Ah yes, seems that's been updated to be Q1 2014.

gizmo wrote: »
    What Deano7788 said above. The currently confirmed exclusive launch titles are Killzone, Infamous, Knack and DriveClub.

Is there a list which lists all launch games? Multiplatform too?

• Advertisement

Is there a list which lists all launch games? Multiplatform too?
    There may be one floating around but I've not seen it yet anyway. Your best bet is looking at the upcoming releases list on Eurogamer or a similar site and going a bit of quick googling from that.

Advertisement